Most Unforgivable Missables in Video Games

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

The special items made from Mithril in 'Shining Force II', and similar items in some FF series games. Collect the magical mineral, and save before a smith, then try again, and again, until you get the correct percentile roll.

FYI, the Super Mushroom in SMB doesn't count as a Lost Forever item; but the recorder/whistle in SMB3 does, as do some of the Hammer Bros. items, like the Jujem CLoud, and the secret treasure stages are Lost Forevers, if you don't encounter them on the correct map.

I don;t recally any items in DQ I - DQ IV that qualify, but there are a few in FF I to FF VI. I don;t remember all of them, off-hand; but some areas do become destroyed in these games. Hmm... I guess that there may be items in DQ IV that qualify too; but none of them are game-ending.

I was always able to get the Light Arrors in Minish Cap. I didn't think you could actually miss that item, or rather, that you could complete the game without it. Isn't that the kinstone fusion in the sky tower?

I did dislike the entire kinstone thing, and the 'collectible items' game, where you trade them in, to gert statuettes. One of my mates was dead-set on a 100% on that game.

The remake of Shining FOrce is also a good one for this, because of the 'collectible cards'. Quite a few are Lost Forevers, and some are only available on a second playthrough (such as the Hero card).

I plan to ensure that nothing in my games ever has this status; which is generally caused by not being able to go back. In the original LotR (Interplay) game, Anduril was a Lost Forever, because at a certain point, you couldn't go back to the Shire, or maybe even to Weathertop, to get the bladepart, or wing part, needed to reforge it at Rivendell. The remake of the game (DC-ROM version) fixed that, but the first release, which is what I played, really angered me at the time, when I found out that I needed to do things in early parts of the game that I missed, in order to make Anduril, and couldn't go back to do them.

I remember that restarted the game (!!) in order to get the sword, after I had already done part of Moria, which is one of the most difficult dungeons in an RPG to date!

Anyone who ever attempted to play the original game in an emulator, will probably know that you can;t play without the manual, as all of the in-game text is stuff like 'Refer to paragraph X'; but even with that, which was full of red-herrings, nothing ever warned you that you couldn't go back to get stuff; nor was there a lot in the way of in-game clues to say 'Oi, moron. You forgot to complete this area.'

Thanfully, a few of us at the local computer club were all playing, and sharing tips. One of us has Interplay;s Guidebook, which solved a few riddles. I still to date don;t know if you can actually complete Moria without losing Gandalf, but I;ve seen short LP segments of people actually killing the Balrog, so I suppose Gandalf is a Lost Forever in his own right, because while the game intends for him to die at the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, you could actually find a way around that.

The treacherous mage, Athelwyn, is Lost Forever by design, but you can cheat by dismissing her from the party at certain points, and retain her through to the end. Because you an carry over things to the sequel, with a save file, or code, from the end of the first game, you can end up with a really different version of the party for The Two Towers (also Interplay), if you do things in a very special manner.

While I do not intend to have any Lost Forever items in TGC, there will be some things that can be very difficult to obtain, and some story that is 'Lost Forever' on a single play, based on player actions; but that's pretty normal for a game with branching story paths. You won't get some story elements, if you follow Path , instead of Path B, but that adds replay value. I suppose there is one 'Lost Forever' possibility, which is intended, because it isn't intended that the player ever gets the Zelenium Blade, but I intend to include a secret way to get it, as a bonus; based on certain actions.

Saying more though, will give away too many story elements.

#17 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

Minish Cap... pretty much the entire game. >_>

#18 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

EDIT: A lack of sleep will turn you into a bumbling idiot. 

Edited by Tree, 10 April 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

Uh, what? I didn't call it bad. I just said the missable content was very unforgivable.

#20 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Uh, what? I didn't call it bad. I just said the missable content was very unforgivable.

I'm really tired. I kinda fucked up the entire meaning of this thread in my head.

--------

In order to 100% complete Donkey Kong Country, you have to find this secret in Oil Drum Ally, and complete it on the first try. If you mess up, you cannot try again, and you'll have to start from the beginning if you want to 100% it.

It's pretty freakin' crazy.

#21 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

What secret? Pretty sure that would be all over the internet if that was the case (Which it isn't). Maybe it was a bug in the very first production run of the game?

#22 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Pretty much any rare item in Phantasy Star Online I and II for the Gamecube.

#23 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

What secret? Pretty sure that would be all over the internet if that was the case (Which it isn't). Maybe it was a bug in the very first production run of the game?

Are you talking to me?

If so~

Edited by Tree, 10 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#24 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Are you talking to me?

If so~

Wow, never seen that secret before in my life and I've played/beaten that game back in the day! Does it require you to get 3 single banana barrels on the first bonus?

#25 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

Wow, never seen that secret before in my life and I've played/beaten that game back in the day! Does it require you to get 3 single banana barrels on the first bonus?

I don't think so. You just have to get three of whatever suit.

#26 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Okay, if it needed 3 single banana barrels then that would've easily explained why I missed it. It's not as obscure as the 75 kremcoin trick in DKC2 at least.

#27 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

Sorry to revive this topic, but uhh...Excalibur II from Final Fantasy IX is a thing.

1) It's already hell to obtain, as you cannot exceed 12 hours of play, or you cannot obtain it.

2) 100%ing the game and getting it even worse.

It seems Square Enix already made something much worse than the Zodiac Spear. >.>

#28 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

E.T. Atari.

#29 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Minish Cap did have a lot of missable stuff. The game that really got my goat was FF7. You can miss Barret's last limit (or was it his ultimate weapon?) on the return to sector 8 towards the end of disc 2. I think some of the other characters have missable high level items too.

I really don't like gone forevers. It's annoying, and kind of an archaic mechanic. Some exceptions can exist, sure, but as a rule, no thanks.

#30 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

The Ice Keese scan in Metroid Prime and the Knuckle(?) figurine in Wind Waker.

Edited by Cukeman, 01 February 2017 - 04:42 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users