• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

Under/Over Bridges, using Triggers

A tutorial by Linkus.

Compatible with versions: ZC 1.84+ (2.5 betas vary. If Overhead nor Layers 3-6 do not layer over Link, this is a bug, or a screen flag has been set. If a bug, make sure this is taken care of in the latest beta before posting.)

What you'll need to know first:
Combos. Tiles are the representations of them, combos are what makes them operate and appear on-screen.
Combo Properties, namely Overhead and Trigger(Temp. or Temporary)
Layers (optional)
Secret Flags

Screen setup:
First off, create or find a screen that has a bridge. Make note that the bridge has to be entirely over land for now--There are no Swim Triggers as of yet (and no, I don't know if it will happen). For a setting, think a canyon or deep valley screen, someplace where a bridge would normally make sense--Also, it doesn't have to be man-made, it can be also be natural. Another thing is that the screen cannot have any secrets, for they can trigger while walking over or under the bridge. However, bushes and flowers use the under combo when not set to a secret combo, and hammer combos use the next combo. But, in the 2.5 betas, you can use Flag 94, which causes it trigger only itself and nothing else. Here's an example screen on correct setup:
IPB Image<-This is correct for versions 1.84 to 2.10, and early 2.5 betas.

IPB Image<-Later 2.5 betas. This is only correct if Flag 94 is set as the inherent flag for the bush and flower combos.

Let's take the screen from here. Now, on Layer 0, mark the tiles parallel or perpendicular to the bridge--under direction or over direction, but never both--with trigger combos. Don't worry about the walkablity of tiles right now, that will be covered later. Next, make a blank combo, with [None] properties. Or, if you are using a combo with a button/switch, use the one with the button pressed down or whatever it changes to. Place these on the tile that are perpendicular to the trigger combos beside the bridge. In this example, I have marked the under direction with triggers, and the over with the result tiles.

IPB Image

Before I go any further, I will inform you that this method can only allow up to seven combos for the bridge. If there are there are any tiles that go over Link no matter where he is when on or under the bridge, leave them alone and place them as either Overhead combos, or if they are not Overhead combos, leave them on Layers 3, 4, 5, or 6. However, take the bridge combos that are affected by Link's placement, and copy them to a blank section of the Combo list. Next, set the copied combos' properties as Overhead, and get rid of any red squares. This next step is optional, but if the trigger combos are set up where they trigger when Link goes over the bridge, listen up: You will have to replace the current bridge combos with the Overhead duplicates.

Now, time to set up the Secret Flags. These are marked as Flags 16-31 under Misc. for the betas, or Secret Flags. Make sure that all affected combos have their own secret flags, but wait! There is a way to keep the combos organized without jumbling all the tiles to confusion. First off, there is a wonder in Secret Combos that will be your best friend when it comes to making complicated puzzles or dungeon mechanics. Under Secret Flags, sixteen squares await. Hold Ctrl while clicking on one. Voila, these Secret Flags can have their own flags, which then changes to them when triggered again! This is the bridge's secret; it switches between two forms through alternating triggers. Now you know why there has to be two versions of the bridge. Here's a pic to give you an idea what you'll see:

IPB Image

But of course, how do you set it up? That's easy. Now, place that trigger result tile from earlier in the top-rightmost tile, also known as Secret Flag 16. Using the ctrl trick from above, make that flag change to 17 when triggered. Next, take the trigger combo and place in Secret Flag 17's spot (next to the result tile). Set it's flag to Secret Flag 16. Now, when triggered, the trigger will turn into the result tile, and the result tile will turn into the trigger, resulting in a loop that will change to the correct form needed wherever Link crosses. Use this same method on the bridge and it's duplicate, along with placing the necessary flags needed on the screen, and you should be done. Oh, not to mention, in Screen Flags (F9), you may want to check "Disable Secret SFX". I don't think you want the secret sound to play every time Link crosses.

To check, here's how the Secret Flags are set up in this example:

IPB Image
IPB Image

These are how the flags are set up on the screen:
IPB Image

and this is how it looks without layers:
IPB Image

Finally, the layers. Layer 1 is best to cover up the triggers and the results, and you can set it up so that you can't have Link go up a mountain or something by accident that way. Another thing you might want to do on Layer 1 is place the No Enemies Flag on the bridge; Enemies that are on top may suddenly go underneath, leaving in Link in a situation worse for wear. And, the final product:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--FAQ--

Q: Why are my triggers not working? I have a ZC 2.5 beta 400+

A: Use Sensitive Trigger(Temp), or enable Use Old-Style Warp Detection in NES Fixes under Rules. Or, check that the triggers are only on Layer 0, and not on any others.

Q: Link won't go under/over the bridge, but instead going over/under it, even though he's supposedly walking under/over it! What do I do?

A: Check to see if you flags an affected combos are set up correctly. All Secret Flags, triggers, and the affected portions of the bridge must be on layer 0. Also, make sure the Secret Flags aren't just triggering themselves again, but instead alternating (for example, when triggered the trigger becomes the result, and when triggered again the result turns back into the trigger.)

Q:This looks a little too hard for me... Is there another way?

A: Yes, using warps and a duplicate screen, but I'd prefer that you try this way first. This tut covers the LttP bridge that is commonly used; simpler bridges do exist and can be made, and they do use fewer secret flags in setup. The Loz bridge, for example, only needs three Secret Flags, since it's just one tile. Also, don't forget that you can place Secret Flags on layers, and they will also trigger on that screen. Yet, there are actually many ways to set up your bridge, such as placing a duplicate on layer 3 or 4 and triggering it on and off, using Layer 1 or 2's secrets to block off areas under the bridge so Link won't appear from the side of the bridge, even making the bridge itself raise or lower automatically when Link either begins to walk over it, or a vehicle Link controls goes under it. You don't even have to limit yourself to bridges if you're creative enough!

Q: Je ne lis pas Anglais. Que'st que tu fait le tut dans la Français?

A: Zut alors! Tu est difficile, n'est pas? Pour l'heure, traduis-il à Babelfish. Dommage!
(...Mind my fleeting French...)

Hope you enjoyed this tut!

--FINIS.--

Note to Admin: Are the pictures going onto the server? If they are, I'll delete them when this tut is accepted and posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users