The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#526 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:50 AM

You might press L to use it, then tilt the controller to increase the "pressure"?

• Anthus likes this

#527 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

Speaking of the Gamecube controller, I sort of wish the Switch had the notched analog sticks like the Gamecube (primarily the c stick). I know some people are really concerned about the lack of a dpad for games when holding the joycons sideways for things like platformers and fighting games. I think that would be a good balance because the GCN's c stick was able to sort of snap into the main directions.

I miss the N64/GCN/Wii octagonal gates so bad. Hugely beneficial to certain games, and benign at worst to others.

• Jared likes this

#528 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

Random thoughts: Considering the more standard architecture that several devs have gone on record to state is easier to design for, I can't help but wonder if this will be the easiest Nintendo system to emulate, apart from games requiring extensive features like the gyro and IR pointer, but I'm sure a workaround could be found for those too.

#529 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

Well, it's actually not that more standard. It's not x86 based like the XBO and PS4 are. It's ARM-based, which is what phones are based on. The previous systems were standard architecture as well, just not anything put in modern computers.

The main reason it's so easy to design for is mostly due to the efforts of Nintendo and engine design companies for making everything super easy to port over. Nintendo has apparently been working really hard with developers, answering questions quickly, making frequent updates, and things like that. Then, apparently the Unreal Engine is really well adapted with the Switch, pulling in new updates from Nintendo quickly, and their support has also been top notch. Basically, Nintendo has been working really hard to make things accessible for 3rd parties, and that's paid off in a super easy system to develop for.

#530 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

All of my issues with the system are now solved.

• Eddy and Matthew like this

#531 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

All you need are googlie-eyes for the joy sticks and we're set.

#532 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

http://www.zeldainfo...intendo-switch/

For anyone doubting how much Iwata contributed to the project before he died. Which would have been silly to begin with.

I miss Iwata. :(

#533 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

A leaked video about the UI of the switch.

For anyone hoping to keep it a mystery, don't watch. :V

https://www.reddit.c...lkthrough_leak/

#534 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

It looks very clean and simple, which I like. Also, assuming that's the first time the system was ever turned on... I love how fast it is to get straight to the main menu on the first startup. That'll please a lot of people. Potential day one updates notwithstanding...

#535 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

It's not surprising that Iwata was the big brain behind Switch, considering all the other contributions he made for Nintendo over the past 30 some-odd years.  Sure, corporations care about money (don't we all, really?), but they can be run by brilliant people who care, which is what I remember Iwata for.

Anyway, if y'all want something to laugh at, there was some guy waiting in line since February 3rd at Nintendo's NYC store, claiming they'd be the first consumer to get a Switch... and someone got their Switch shipped early by accident. (Well, hence the leaks posted up above.)  Life comes at you fast, huh?

#536 Ezka

Ezka

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

They wouldnt have been the first anyway, nintendo ships them out to places like ign so they can review them.

#537 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

They wouldnt have been the first anyway, nintendo ships them out to places like ign so they can review them.

Sure, but there have been no review content from the Switch, be it games or hardware sent out to reviewers yet. Might happen soon, but Nintendo generally doesn't ship out stuff a long time before launch. Back when I reviewed Spirit Tracks I think I got it maybe a week in advance, which back then was more common because 'leaks' just didn't happen as often as they do these days. We didn't even get Pokemon Sun and Moon until after release, but Nintendo's always been a special little snowflake when it comes to this stuff. :P

#538 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

Two more weeks....I don't know if I can make it!! 

Debating on if I should get a pro controller with it though. I got it for the Wii U...I love the design of that controller so much. Do you think I should?

I wonder if they will have any games on the eShop day of release...although that's probably a silly question.

#539 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

If you want it, yes. I want it, but I'm gonna hold off and get it at a lower price. Won't have to wait for more than a week or two I'm sure, there's always some sale and worst case scenario the essence of Satan himself; Gamestop will have some used ones.

#540 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

I'm waiting to see if the Wii U Pro controller becomes backward compatable with an update. I don't care about HD rumble :blah:

Probably not gonna happen though, cause, you know, companies tend to like money.
  • Jared likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users