8 replies to this topic

#1 lincolnpepper

lincolnpepper

epic gamer

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

im using a tileset

http://www.purezc.ne...=tilesets&id=20

that was made with an old version of zquest (but im using it with a new version and it seems to work fine)

i have several secret areas, and when i set special item the item doesnt appear. is this my fault, or the tileset's fault? (since i had to load a quest to use it and its old it might use weird rules and i dont know what they are)

also i dont know what tile to use for the caves. the normal tile looks weird because of the cave cset. how do i change the cave cset? or am i supposed to use a different tile than the normal wall?

also, is this the right place to put this question?

Edited by lincolnpepper, 15 February 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Generally, the tileset itself probably won't have much to do with it. I take it you opened it as a .qst file and started to work within it? Heck, I'd do the same thing.

Generally, the Dmaps themselves have to do with that sort of behavior. Here's a few basic requirements for the "Special Item" type rooms.

1) Cave or Dungeon style Dmaps. (Maybe even BS-Overworld maps. Never tried it though. Not worth it.)

2) If it's the sort of room where there's a "guy" in there that says something and holds the item out for you to pick up, then that room needs a guy, a string (The message), a room type of Special Item, and the actual Item. The item itself is not set in the "item" dialogue but in the per-room-type item category. Press "A" in ZQuest to see it, assuming you have the room set to special item. The normal, unrelated item panel's shortcut is "i" - Big differences between them. For special items, use A on the main ZQuest screen.

3) Do try not to have a regular item (i) and a Special item (A) on the same screen. They tend to fight slightly in weird ways.

also i dont know what tile to use for the caves. the normal tile looks weird because of the cave cset. how do i change the cave cset? or am i supposed to use a different tile than the normal wall?

What do you mean, tile? Do you mean the combo that warps you into a cave?

In general, the palette that you see in ZQuest is only a preview of what the screen would look like IF you used a certain Palette. The ACTUAL palette that it will be in-game is determined in the Dmap editor. It's definitely not something that a person would want to confuse. :)

The term "Cset" refers to a row of 16 colors found within each Palette. Between each actual level palette (That differentiates between an overworld, or a cave, or a sunny beach, or a dungeon, etc.) there are only Csets #2, #3, #4, and #9 (9 is for sprites) that tend to change between each Palette. All the other Csets remain the same between each Palette.

So when you're flipping between Csets with Keypad + and -, and you see a lot of the same colors consistently except for Csets 2, 3, 4, and 9, now you know why.

I hope this answers some questions. Somehow.

#3 lincolnpepper

lincolnpepper

epic gamer

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

im using the special item caves on overworld maps... it should work on there, it did on the normal tileset. and i dont mean rooms that have them, i mean you go it it when you enter a cave. its on the right kinda dmap with the right flags i think.

Edited by lincolnpepper, 15 February 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Perhaps then show us pictures of what you're using right now so we can critique it and make suggestions?

#5 lincolnpepper

lincolnpepper

epic gamer

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

nevermind, i didnt add a guy or message string into the rooms. apparently that fixed it, thanks. 

what i meant about the tile thing was what tile did i use for the caves, but i realized i wanted the normal wall tile, just on the normal cset and idk how to change the cave cset (the one you see ingame)

i put in the walls but because of the cave cset it looks all weird and red but i want it to look normal

#6 lincolnpepper

lincolnpepper

epic gamer

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

did you see my question? not being pushy, but id think that after this long you wouldnt of seen it, so im notifying you again, and i dont want to start a new topic.

what i meant about the tile thing was what tile did i use for the caves, but i realized i wanted the normal wall tile, just on the normal cset and idk how to change the cave cset (the one you see ingame)

i put in the walls but because of the cave cset it looks all weird and red but i want it to look normal

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

what i meant about the tile thing was:

what tile did i use for the caves,

This is like asking "Where did I put my keys?" I don't know. I can't know unless I see it. Tell us more about it. Read off information from the combo. Right-Click, "Edit" the combo and tell us the combo Type. Unless you're describing something entirely different.

but i realized i wanted the normal wall tile, just on the normal cset and idk how to change the cave cset (the one you see ingame)

So you're asking how to change Csets within a Palette? The Keypad Plus and Minus keys change between Csets. Select the combo you want to place, and as long as you're within the right Cset, place the combo down. There you go.

Do note that what you see in the ZQuest screen is only a preview of the palette you'll be using. The actual palette you'll see in the ZC Player is set in the Dmap editor.

Exactly due to what I just said. Make sure to set the Palette properly in the Dmap editor.

#8 lincolnpepper

lincolnpepper

epic gamer

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

this is when you go in a cave, its not dependent on the dmap palette. not like enter/exit warp to a large cave, i mean cave/item cellar warp to the screen on the bottom left of the screen.

is there a cset selection for caves inside the dmap selector? i dont remember seeing one. the color thing changes the cset of my overworld, not my caves.

and this is what the wall looks like in the cave, im editing the look of the cave. not the combo that teleports you there

i am talking about the bottom left screen it takes you to when you enter a warp set as a cave/item cellar warp. it changes to a redish cset. i want it to be the normal cset. it looks normal in the editor, not ingame. how do i change the cset you see inside the game in the cave so its normal. so the walls arent red.

http://imgur.com/0wyyWlJ

thats what it looks like ingame (if you can see it)

http://imgur.com/a/2rzXN

thats what i want it to look like ingame

how

This is like asking "Where did I put my keys?" I don't know. I can't know unless I see it.

i gave a link to the tileset at the top of the page, but 1: i was asking for anyone who mightve known (when i first asked it in the first post) and 2: i then continued to explain what i actually wanted so that part is no longer relevant

Edited by lincolnpepper, 15 February 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#9 lincolnpepper

lincolnpepper

epic gamer

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

i think you were confused about what i was saying. i was talking about the look of the inside of the cave, not the combo that warps you there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users