Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4186 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

Was that the wife?  I dunno why I thought of him being like a Kokiri boy that helps out the blacksmith.

#4187 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:33 AM

After a few hours of fiddling with various compatibility settings, changing system locale to Japanese and back to English to get the RTP installer working, downloading one of the Visual Basic DLL packs, and installing EasyRPG, I've finally gotten my computer to play RPG Maker 2003 games.

I had a handful of these downloaded a while back, intending to look at some examples of more open-world map design (not constricted by ZC's single-screen scrolling), but after having trouble getting them to work, I gave up on them for a while. Since I'm stuck using my crappy laptop for another week while I wait for the RAM I ordered for my desktop to arrive (one weekend spent at home disassembling my computer to install a new CPU and motherboard, then another weekend waiting for the new case since the back port-cover was actually a physical part of the old case and wouldn't let the new motherboard fit. This is the third week without my main PC), I figured I'd take the time to try and get these games working, since I don't have much better to do.

Spent a bit of time playing Balmung Cycle. Is this game supposed to be really hard, or am I playing it wrong? I was told that clearing all the enemies in an area would net me some rewards, but I eventually ran out of healing items before I even leveled up once. The bird-like enemies aren't bad, but the bipedal enemies do a ton of damage for the first area of the game.

As far as map design, it looks really nice, but I can already see some changes I would have made to make things a bit better. For one thing, a bit of a change in ground color depending on elevation would be helpful in telling where things are. I'm having to trace the ledges with my eyes just to figure out the layout of the area. Of course, RM2003 is really restrictive when it comes to graphics, so I don't blame the developer too much.

#4188 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Was that the wife?  I dunno why I thought of him being like a Kokiri boy that helps out the blacksmith.

You forgot about the wife? Nah, it's a man and woman, though they do have a Kokiri-like green-clad son named Gulley, but only the Hyrule equivalent. They also have a dwarven helper for no other reason than A Link to the Past had dwarves I imagine.

#4189 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

You forgot about the wife? Nah, it's a man and woman, though they do have a Kokiri-like green-clad son named Gulley, but only the Hyrule equivalent. They also have a dwarven helper for no other reason than A Link to the Past had dwarves I imagine.

I don't even remember her talking to you at any point.  Oops.

#4190 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Well I did beat the game yesterday and started a new Majora's Mask 3D file. And already beat the first two dungeons and got the gilded sword. :heh:

A Link Between Worlds is still incredibly fun, if not a tad on the easy side. A lot of it is owed to the freedom and streamlined nature of the game, because there's still plenty to explore and discover and overall it's just a super fun game. Although I did think of an idea that might have improved the overall experience: Instead of renting items at all, you could only buy them, which would force you to manage your rupee count and plan your route through the world around that. Obviously this couldn't take full effect until Lorule, but still, it would've been a neat system that could have challenged your thinking and pathway a bit. I still like the game as is, poor story aside.

Majora's Mask 3D meanwhile is going fine, except for the part where QUIT SHOVING THE NOTEBOOK IN MY FACE. Don't get me wrong, I love the notebook's redesign, but I didn't really want it shoved in my face every time there was a new event, I'd rather look at it at my leisure. Also I still have the minor complaint from OoT3D that I wish the menu had been in a set order instead of freeform, because N64 muscle memory, but ah well, at least the menu management is a touch better than OoT3D.

... suppose ALBW had the same complaint. Dunno why I don't care as much. Maybe it's because it's easy to throw everything into their corresponding location from ALttP because I play that game too much.

#4191 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

Beat Final Fantasy Type 0 HD earlier today. It was quite good. I wouldn't say great like many of the main entries, though I do feel that the basis has enough substance in it that if it had only been made from the ground up on consoles with better graphics, more content, and improved mechanics it could've come close to rivaling the likes of a main installment. Though we never know. I guess a sequel is always possible.

Now, as for what I am playing now, I'm still chipping away at the PS3 version Kingdom Hearts II whenever I don't have a turn on the PS4. As for when I do have a turn on the PS4, I personally don't have any games left to beat, unless I decide to play one of my brothers games. I am possibly going shopping tomorrow though, so I'm considering finally picking up the Last Guardian if it has a decent enough price. Also considering Final Fantasy X HD for either PS3 or PS4. 

EDIT: I picked up Last Guardian.

Edited by Titanium Justice, 08 March 2017 - 12:03 AM.

#4192 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:13 AM

Last Guardian had a permanent price drop a while ago.

#4193 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

If it matters to you at all, there's an external program you can use on the PC version of Final Fantasy X and X-2 that lets you mess with things like the camera, if you ever wanted to explore the areas with a different point of view. It isn't perfect, though, and it will snap back where it's meant to be when you pass a place where the camera normally changes.

#4194 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

Some really cool "secret" stuff in Wind Waker 

https://www.youtube....h?v=4U3AdX-_cM4

#4195 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

Majora's Mask 3D down. I decided to make it an all masks/items run but not 100% because I do not like the heart piece quests in this game, a lot of them are fluff so that they can keep this status quo of having 20 total heart containers. Actually, was it even status quo at this point? ALttP and OoT had 20, but Zelda 1 had 16, Zelda 2 didn't even have hearts (had 8 blocks if that counts), and the Game Boy games had 14... hearts were all over the place at this point! Heck, if we look at all the main Zelda games, even if we include Majora's Mask, less than half the series used 20 total heart containers; it's only seen as a "standard" because every console title since A Link to the Past had 20. And Skyward Sword cheated by having you stick two medals in your pouch to fill out the entire heart meter. Who even knows how many Breath of the Wild will have.

... that got off-track. Anyhow, Majora's Mask is a fun game, though still a bit tedious at points. It does get annoying having to repeat some things for certain quests, like having to repeat the Anju/Kafei sidequest twice to get its two different items (I will not let this go, this was a stupid decision), and I'm really just not fond of Beneath the Well or climbing the Stone Tower. I still don't see the love for Stone Tower Temple, it's honestly a drag. Sometimes fun, but when the obstacles include another instance of playing that damned Elegy of Emptiness song and flipping rooms multiple times just to pass them, one of which you might have to repeat if you miss something, I just get soured by the experience. At least the 3DS version put the symbol to flip the entire dungeon out in the open so I don't have to move the blocks around to hit it, that was the best decision ever, because I hate Elegy of Emptiness. Here I even made up lyrics for it:

"I really dislike this song"

Also 3DS Twinmold is kind of awful. I don't mind the first phase so much (except when the red one keeps diving on me) but it's super annoying trying to maneuver and hit the red one enough to down it so you can do the spin. I might've praised this fight in the past. I was wrong. Also Odolwa's too easy now. Goht is fine but at least Gyorg's still awesome.

And Great Bay is still the best dungeon. It's also the only one that stands out, in a good way. Woodfall is just kind of standard, Snowhead was never interesting to me, and I already touched on Stone Tower. The mask sidequests can be pretty entertaining at least, even if there's really not a lot of fun overworld exploration. It's a more personal tale, which is fine, it holds up well on that. I think with my previous experiences I wouldn't call it my least-favorite 3D Zelda game anymore... that one's Skyward Sword. And it's not because any of these are bad games at all, mind you, it's just because of factors such as not having enough to appeal to me or being tedious in ways, the latter mostly applying to Skyward Sword.

Did I mention Zora swimming mechanics suck too, as well as limiting ice arrow platforms?

#4196 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:35 AM

I always thought Gyorg was too easy (in the original), shoot him with the hookshot from the platform, then change into a Zora and sink down right on top of him using the electric force field, then repeat.

Edited by Cukeman, 01 March 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#4197 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:43 AM

To me, Gyorg was just annoying in the original game, as well as boring. I didn't much care for him at all. It's a big improvement in 3D, and I actually enjoy fighting him now.

#4198 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

I just heard that working on BotW, Nintendo experimented with updating graphic styles throughout the series and this is how we got titles like WWHD. I feel a lot better about these tweaked ports now, knowing that Nintendo is basically sharing their tech demos with us. My biggest problem had been that they aren't true remakes, but this really helps deflate that complaint IMO.

#4199 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Playing some more OoT 3DS (it was already a 3D game :nerd:   ). The stalchildren models are really broken with one elbow high above the other, looks really bad. Being on a portable I think they should have let the player continue in better places- I saved at Goron City, then poof back at my treehouse. Not a big deal on a console where I'm gonna sit down and play for a while, but on a portable I'd like to play one area at a time between other things I'm doing on the go. Also, maybe they could have eliminated the load time between areas? Just a thought.

#4200 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:51 AM

Now that my desktop PC is put back together, I'm able to play some of the games that I haven't been able to for a while. I've been playing the third Neptunia Re;Birth game, and trying to catch up to where I was before in a modded Minecraft game. It didn't handle the PC upgrade very well, and I ended up having to delete everything and reinstall it.

I also found out over the weekend that my PC is now able to run CEMU, a Wii-U emulator. I can play Super Mario 3D World at full speed, with only the slightest hiccups from time to time. Mario Kart 8 runs well enough to play and be fully enjoyable, probably more like 40-45 FPS in trouble spots. At the absolute worst, it feels like a leisurely drive rather than a frantic race, but still somewhat fun. New Super Mario Bros. U is full speed as well, and Bayonetta runs full speed, but the shaders act up quite a bit. Can't even see some of the cutscenes through all of the bloom.

Also, I brought up quite a while back that I was replaying all of the Pokemon games from Gen 1 up to current, to try and catch up with those. I still turn them on from time to time when I have my 3DS on me, and I've fully finished a hack of Pokemon Red that allows catching all 150 + Mew if you use a glitch that's present in the normal game. I'm currently playing a version of Crystal with a similar hack, allowing all 250 Pokemon to be caught without trading.

I'm bringing that up because I just finally got around to copying my Gen 1 collection to a new Gen 3 game (Emerald). No hacks at this point, I'm not sure how well hacked games are going to trade up, and between playing one of each pair + spinoff (Colosseum + XD), I should be able to get everything at this point fairly comfortably. Turns out that I had been putting this off for so long because I was dreading having to manually recreate each Pokemon and inject it into the Emerald save file, when there's a program that auto-transfers them that turns out to be fully compatible with my hacked game. Not sure if it will be compatible with Crystal, but I don't see why it wouldn't be at this point. If not, I'll just skip my doubles and keep going.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users