Question about caves

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'm using separate screens for most of my caves if they're houses or something similar, but I wanted to use the default screen 80 cave for secret grottos and the like since there will be a LOT of them (one for every screen that doesn't have another entrance on it). My question is this, can I set a tile warp in the cave to act as an exit point instead of having the south side warp be the exit? It always bugged me in Z1 that you'd burn a tree, and walk down a flight of stairs, then end up on a screen that looks like a cave in a mountain wall, rather than having some kind of stairs you walk back up.

#2 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

I tried, but I couldn't get it to work. You probably need a script. Maybe an FFC?

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

Use a seperate map and dmap instead of using screen 80.

#4 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

Use a seperate map and dmap instead of using screen 80.

I already explained my reasons for NOT doing that. I don't want to have to make an entire map's worth of screens and keep track of them, just for one-room secrets. I'll just have to use the regular cave style.

• Avaro likes this

#5 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

The extra map/dmap thing isn't really too hard to manage. I've done it a few times, though admittedly only when necessary rather than for a full map.

But honestly, it's not so time-consuming. It takes maybe 3 seconds to cut+paste the cave screen. Then you already have to set up the guy/string/shop/other room type for the cave on the overworld when you want a screen 80 secret, so just do the exact same setup on the cave screen instead. For alignment/tracking purposes, stack them on top of each other in the actual maps - that is to say, if you want your secret on the overworld map screen 6B, then paste the appropriate cave screen on 6B of the cave map. Setting your warps is the slightly different part, but with your screens stacked, you never have to remember what screens the warps point to because the display will already show the number of the current screen. Warp returns you have to place anyway, so... even if you have a lot of secrets or caves, I would still suggest considering the usage of a separate DMap.

And because, for the amount of time you spend trying to get an alternate method to work, you could probably have done all your caves individually anyway :P

• Avaro likes this

#6 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

The extra map/dmap thing isn't really too hard to manage. I've done it a few times, though admittedly only when necessary rather than for a full map.

But honestly, it's not so time-consuming. It takes maybe 3 seconds to cut+paste the cave screen. Then you already have to set up the guy/string/shop/other room type for the cave on the overworld when you want a screen 80 secret, so just do the exact same setup on the cave screen instead. For alignment/tracking purposes, stack them on top of each other in the actual maps - that is to say, if you want your secret on the overworld map screen 6B, then paste the appropriate cave screen on 6B of the cave map. Setting your warps is the slightly different part, but with your screens stacked, you never have to remember what screens the warps point to because the display will already show the number of the current screen. Warp returns you have to place anyway, so... even if you have a lot of secrets or caves, I would still suggest considering the usage of a separate DMap.

And because, for the amount of time you spend trying to get an alternate method to work, you could probably have done all your caves individually anyway :P

Not doing it, and that's final. Starting to get pissed off. And yes, it IS a lot more time consuming, especially when you have as many maps as I do.

EDIT: Can a mod please lock this topic. I already know what I'm going to do and I don't need more people telling me what to do when I've already said three times that I'm going to use screen 80.

Edited by Binx, 28 April 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#7 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

Aaaand that's why people don't like answering questions.

Edit - Hey, Lut, that's a pretty good idea. I think I'll use it in my quest.
Cheers!

Edited by Reflectionist, 04 May 2017 - 02:33 AM.

• Deedee likes this

#8 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

Not doing it, and that's final. Starting to get pissed off. And yes, it IS a lot more time consuming, especially when you have as many maps as I do.

No offense, but what you're trying to do is not possible in ZC without some serious scripting. I would argue that just doing what Lut suggesting is far less time consuming than figuring out how to script an entirely new cave system. I doubt anyone would be willing to script it on your behalf either, considering how much time it would take to do.

I get that you have a lot of maps and you'd like to avoid the tedious, repetitive job of making all those screens, but there's not really any other option, so I'm not sure what else you expect people to do for you.
  • Matthew likes this

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

Well this was a lot harder to accomplish than I had originally wanted. As it turns out, the cave screen has some arcane sorcery behind it that does not allow you to leave by any method other than walking off the bottom. Even scripted methods return you to the cave.

The workaround I have is an FFC script that warps you to its position when you enter the cave screen. When you step on it again it moves you to the middle bottom of the screen, triggering the cave exit. Because there's a period when scripts cannot run in the cave transition, you have to cover the bottom two rows of the screen with layer 3+ combos to hide Link as he enters.

Should you still want to do it this way, here's the script. Stick the FFC over a combo with the stair graphics but no combo type:

ffc script CaveExit{
	void run(){
		Link->X = this->X;
		Link->Y = this->Y;
		while(OnStairs(this)){
			Waitframe();
		}
		while(!OnStairs(this)){
			Waitframe();
		}
		Link->X = 120;
		Link->Y = 168;
	}
	bool OnStairs(ffc this){
		if(Abs(Link->X-this->X)<5&&Abs(Link->Y-this->Y)<5&&Link->Z==0){
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}
}

#10 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

No offense, but what you're trying to do is not possible in ZC without some serious scripting. I would argue that just doing what Lut suggesting is far less time consuming than figuring out how to script an entirely new cave system. I doubt anyone would be willing to script it on your behalf either, considering how much time it would take to do.

I get that you have a lot of maps and you'd like to avoid the tedious, repetitive job of making all those screens, but there's not really any other option, so I'm not sure what else you expect people to do for you.

Where did so many people get the idea that I was looking for a workaround? I had given up on the idea, altogether, as I agree that it would be harder to script. I had asked a question, and had gotten an answer, it's not possible with ZC, alone. That was the end of it.  I don't really care about a stairs combo that much, entering the cave from the south is perfectly serviceable.

Well this was a lot harder to accomplish than I had originally wanted. As it turns out, the cave screen has some arcane sorcery behind it that does not allow you to leave by any method other than walking off the bottom. Even scripted methods return you to the cave.

The workaround I have is an FFC script that warps you to its position when you enter the cave screen. When you step on it again it moves you to the middle bottom of the screen, triggering the cave exit. Because there's a period when scripts cannot run in the cave transition, you have to cover the bottom two rows of the screen with layer 3+ combos to hide Link as he enters.

Should you still want to do it this way, here's the script. Stick the FFC over a combo with the stair graphics but no combo type:

ffc script CaveExit{
	void run(){
		Link->X = this->X;
		Link->Y = this->Y;
		while(OnStairs(this)){
			Waitframe();
		}
		while(!OnStairs(this)){
			Waitframe();
		}
		Link->X = 120;
		Link->Y = 168;
	}
	bool OnStairs(ffc this){
		if(Abs(Link->X-this->X)<5&&Abs(Link->Y-this->Y)<5&&Link->Z==0){
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}
}

Thanks. Wasn't expecting this, at all. I'll have to give it a try.

• Naru likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users