Things that should never have existed

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#106 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

If anyone played my first published quest (Link's Generic Quest), you'll know that the one long raft section after Forest Island shouldn't have existed. Man, was it a pain to sit through during testing, but I never thought to change it for whatever reason.

#107 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

This one comes as no surprise: Any quest with sensitive pushing blocks in block puzzles. You can easily trap yourself with a wrong block push, and if the quest has all the doors closed, your only hope is to hit F6 and try again.

#108 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Level 5 from Isle Of Rebirth.

It is a very tedious dungeon to go through. it's not really that fun to play through at all, as it has just way too many enemies on screen sometimes. The dungeon is actually, like, 5 times harder than Level 6!  :lol:

and those Dang candle monsters.

the only way to defeat them is with a candle, and as soon as they touch fire, they light up and rush all over the room leaving fire wherever it goes, and then, it finally explodes sending fire in 8 directions!

Combine that with Ice Combos that slow you down when you walk on them, and you're probably going to die in seconds.

(Unless you're some sort of Zelda Classic Master or something)

Edited by Zagut, 21 March 2017 - 10:19 AM.

• Russ likes this

#109 Dark Entity

Dark Entity

Initiate

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:30 AM

Using your only key on the wrong door, when there are multiple chests/doors available.  This is really frustrating and why I never save the game midway through a dungeon.  How on earth are you supposed to know which door to unlock first?  Games that allow you to get stuck for opening the wrong door are just poorly designed.  This could potentially ruin all of your progress on L8 or 9 if you happen to save after using up your key.

• Lüt likes this

#110 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Having to redo tedious rooms, generally puzzle rooms. While I do love puzzles, here's a suggestion. If you don't know how to make the puzzle permanent, create a shortcut path. Place it in the next room and have the path transition into the corner of your puzzle room. Then have it extend one more time into another room where you do something like flipping a switch to knock down some pegs so that the player can just bypass the puzzle.

Difficulty for the sake of being difficult. This is a hard one to describe and to provide advice for effectively, as difficulty is kind of subjective. If there's no reward for the challenge, then there's no point in being challenged, except for pride. This is probably not going to be the best example for a lot of people, but whatever, I'm sure some will understand. The reason I am fine with the unrelenting difficulty of Zelda II is because it both challenges and rewards you for overcoming obstacles. Everything feels satisfying. And for as much as people complain about Death Mountain and starting at the palace, the game does later reward you by giving you a shortcut that takes you practically immediately to the second island.

I guess these two are kind of related. Have a reward suitable to the challenge and a challenge suitable to the room.
  • Lüt likes this

#111 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

If you don't know how to make the puzzle permanent

...then consider yourself educated.

#112 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

...then consider yourself educated.

The issue I had at first is that I was trying to make tiered puzzles permanent. Which required an ffc with a cycling combo. But I would have trouble knowing how many times to make the combo cycle. There were several times I would walk into my puzzle after completing it and it would be partially finished, but still have like one or two parts left to finish.

Granted as long as your room works as intended in the end, a little trial and error is perfectly fine.

(Related to a different script.)

Edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami, 08 April 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#113 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Bubsy 3D for Playstation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users