Photo

ALTTP Overworld...?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: ALTTP's Overworld

Would you play a quest that took place in ALTTP's overworld?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:36 AM

Has anyone ever made a quest that took place in any part of ALTTP's overworld? If not, would you personally play a quest that did include it? Why or why not? (poll included for numbers)

#2 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:24 AM

Abso-loot-ly! :) I might even do a "New ALTTP" quest of it like I did with the classic NES ones. :)

• AdmiralJaden likes this

#3 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:38 AM

Maybe.  The overworld itself wouldn't sell it for me, but if it were a good quest then I'd try it out.  But between LttP and LBW, I don't think there's much of anything new you could do with that overworld.

#4 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:45 AM

Maybe.  The overworld itself wouldn't sell it for me, but if it were a good quest then I'd try it out.  But between LttP and LBW, I don't think there's much of anything new you could do with that overworld.

The concept I've been actively working on incorporates a lot of said overworld, but I'm also adding quite a bit to the game itself, including new areas, new dungeons, secrets, and secret items as well. The story is still in early stages, as is the quest I'm working on, but I'm taking my time with it to deliver a good experience :)

• bigboylink likes this

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

I personally prefer original overworld design, but I wouldn't mind it too much. (Though I would criticise it a bit for not being original).

But at the end of the day the fact that a quest would use the alttp overworld would neither make me play a quest nor stay away from it.
  • coolgamer012345 and AdmiralJaden like this

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

I guess I would go for yes, but honestly I don't really care. I'll play any new quest that pops up so really if a quest uses an existing Zelda overworld or not, it doesn't affect me at all.

• Matthew and AdmiralJaden like this

#7 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

I would most definitely play a quest with the LTTP overworld! I love seeing people's interpretations of the various Zelda overworlds, and I enjoy seeing what one would do to make it their own!
  • Jared and AdmiralJaden like this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

Has anyone ever made a quest that took place in any part of ALTTP's overworld?

I have tried to, but it was in the NES tile set.

Spoiler

AlttP is my favorite game, so I wouldn't be opposed to playing through a quest using its overworld. I quit working on mine though, cause as I went on, it felt too open, and too big in some areas, and didn't really work well with Classic, so I kind of fizzled out in interest. This is a few years old too, it's from when 2.5 was still in beta stages.

I actually forgot about this completely until now. Hmm..

• Shane, Jared, coolgamer012345 and 3 others like this

#9 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

well, why not? but only if there something of different too, if is a too perfect copy..i already know where is everything

#10 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

well, why not? but only if there something of different too, if is a too perfect copy..i already know where is everything

Agreed. What I've been working on, myself, is similarity, but not a perfect copy, that way everyone who plays it will be familiar with the overall layout (mostly), but also have to do a lot of exploration to find everything in the quest.

I have tried to, but it was in the NES tile set.

Spoiler

AlttP is my favorite game, so I wouldn't be opposed to playing through a quest using its overworld. I quit working on mine though, cause as I went on, it felt too open, and too big in some areas, and didn't really work well with Classic, so I kind of fizzled out in interest. This is a few years old too, it's from when 2.5 was still in beta stages.

I actually forgot about this completely until now. Hmm..

I've noticed that the screen sizes are quite a challenge, setting everything to look good for each screen, but also getting close enough to the original to make it look good on the map too. Things that would take up two screens in ZC, I tend to reduce in size to one, Kakariko Village being one of the most recent examples.
Also, where did you upload your screens? An external site, or here on purezc? If here on purezc, how could I upload mine?
Oh wait, I found a topic detailing that (facepalm).

Edited by AdmiralJaden, 12 April 2016 - 09:49 PM.

• Sheik likes this

#11 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

Just a taste of part of the overworld I've been working on. Keep in mind that this overworld won't be the only one, there's at least 3 different areas surrounding it that are planned:

Spoiler

• Anthus, bigboylink, Eddy and 3 others like this

#12 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

A Zelda 3 overworld with classic tileset (looking like a Zelda 1 overworld) would be my dream. :)

• Anthus and AdmiralJaden like this

#13 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

I'd play it.

LttP is my favorite Zelda game. I'm happy to revisit it every now and then.

Though, if there's the opportunity for original design over re-creation, I'd probably prefer that.

Still, I've played so many 3rd/4th/5th quest variations, that an LttP 2nd quest would still be super fresh by comparison.

So yeah, I'd definitely play it.

Besides, it would be interesting to see how such large scrolling segments of land translate to ZC's screen-per-screen setup. You'd probably have to make some notable adjustments to accomplish that alone.

• Anthus and AdmiralJaden like this

#14 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:19 AM

I'd play it.

LttP is my favorite Zelda game. I'm happy to revisit it every now and then.

Though, if there's the opportunity for original design over re-creation, I'd probably prefer that.

Still, I've played so many 3rd/4th/5th quest variations, that an LttP 2nd quest would still be super fresh by comparison.

So yeah, I'd definitely play it.

Besides, it would be interesting to see how such large scrolling segments of land translate to ZC's screen-per-screen setup. You'd probably have to make some notable adjustments to accomplish that alone.

Indeed I have lol. A lot of the design for it, while based on alttp, is still pretty different in certain areas. For example, in the lost woods, the shrine for the master sword is quite different, and some of the areas around it have been completely redesigned, only hinting at the original by using specific landmarks and item locations. A lot of the lost woods will be custom work as a result, but it's nice in that regard because I can still make some areas look almost exact, while providing original material as well.
The same will be for death mountain, and the zora river (when I get to them). Also, most of the internal areas have also been redesigned (so far). Once I'm able to complete more of it, I'll be able to upload a demo file that shows the differences in playability as well. Shouldn't be too much farther and I'll be able to do that.

• Lüt likes this

#15 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

false princess was never completed, but this was overworld 2

FPOW2.png

Edited by King Aquamentus, 14 April 2016 - 08:33 PM.

• Anthus, Shane, Matthew and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users