OoT-style Farore's Wind

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

So, yeah.... Farore's Wind is kinda useless as an item, at this point (f6 and even if you disable that, you still can't use it to warp back to the screen you came from), but since I'm using both Dins Fire and Nayru's Love, I feel it's necessary to have it in-game. I searched the forums, and saw quite a few threads talking about how crap Farore's wind is, and discussing different ways it would be possible to script, like using DrawTile or something to store Link's DMap and position to call back to later, but couldn't find any threads where someone actually made the script. 

What I'd like it to do:

Create a warp point at the tile link is standing on when he casts the spell

Warp you back to the entrance of the dungeon

Send you back to the warp point when used again.

Is it possible for this to be done?

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

So use #1 is save and warp to entrance, and use #2 is warp to save and clear save?

Questions:

1. Does the warp point reset when you leave the dungeon?

2. Does the game remember warp locations between save/continues?

3. Is the warp point visible when you're on the same screen?

4. Does it have a special animation when warping?

5. Does it have the same cost for "save" and "load" uses? Or is it free to return to the warp point? Or different costs for each function?

6a. How does the script determine the dungeon entrance? Is it any DMap change, or a special screen flag?

6b. Does this really need to warp you to the entrance when you have F6 for that?

#3 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Oh, yeah, I guess I should have thought of those questions, huh? And yeah, that's pretty much exactly what i meant

1. Either way is fine. (If no, then I suppose it would need an "if" statement to prevent warping between dmaps by accident, but it would make it easier to do things like use it, then go to a shop, then go back and use it again)

2. Yes, if possible

3. Yes

4. I was hoping to use the same animation that Farore's Wind normally uses in ZC, minus the "hammer pose" that link normally takes, just the disintegration part. Actually, since I don't need it to warp to the entrance, just a 2 frame animation where Link does the double-handed "hold up item" pose and there's a whirlwind over him.

5. Load is free, no cost for warp returns. So, if it's got an MP32 cost, it costs 32 MP to set the warp point, but returning to it is free.

Thanks for answering :)

EDIT: Added answers to the other two questions

FURTHER EDIT: 6b. Actually, I guess the warp to entrance part is really a bit unneeded, since FW couldn't do that in OoT, anyways, I got it mixed up with Oocoo from twilight princess.

FURTHER EDIT: Changed the animation request.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Changed #4 AGAIN, I was thinking of the animation for SETTING the warp point, not warping, the non-crossed out area is the part I want.

Edited by Lineas, 11 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#4 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

More questions!

7a. Does Link play a special animation when setting the warp point? Or does it just appear instantly?

7b. If he does, is he invincible when doing so or does damage cancel the setting?

8. What sound effects does this use? Does it use different SFX for setting and warping?

#5 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

oh, whoops answer to 7a is the same as what I wrote for 4 (for some reason I was thinking of SETTING the warp point when I answered 4) so link "hold up" with whirlwind over him then the warp point open underneath him (I'll go fix 4 to what it was before, the disintegration animation works nicely, just no hammer pose)

7b Is it possible to freeze all other action on screen instead of making him invincible? if not, invincible is good, too.

8: For setting, 59 (whistle whirlwind) and for warping, 39 (farore's wind)

#6 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

The disintegrate part is kinda tricky. Actually, it's completely impossible for me to match it perfectly. As an alternative, how about you just make a sprite for Link disintegrating (or whatever) and I'll just draw that over him? The same goes for the "set" animation (except it appears above Link).

#7 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Oh, well, if it's a problem, to do the disintegration, how about just using another whirlwind? And couldn't it just use sprite 13 (the built in whirlwind sprite), that's what I'm using for all my other wind animations.

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

Okay, all done! I think. It's tested and functional, but likely to have bugs.

Farore's Wind 1.0

Once it's all tested and fixed, I'll submit it to the script DB.

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Ok, before I go trying to combine this "replaces your normal waitframe" means I have to remove the waitframe currently in my global and use this one, right? So should I put it (the main loop) after all the other functions in my while(true) loop?

EDIT: How ungrateful of me, I forgot to say thank you.

Thank you!

Edited by Lineas, 11 August 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

No, just combine this as you would any other script, except you take the snippet with the "replace waitframe" comment and put that in the place of your Waitframe().

And you're welcome! :)

#11 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Ah, I ran into a problem combining them: I already have a "CMB_AUTOWARP" variable (with a different assigned value). Is it safe for me to just change the name of one of them (and of course make sure I do the same in all the other parts of the script), or does that variable name mean something specific to ZScript?

EDIT: Never mind, I went ahead and changed it, now I'm getting this (And I have stdExtra.zh imported, but I couldn't find those functions in there, either):

Untitled.png

Lines 613-627 are:

void createWarpPointFFC(){
    if ( Game->GetCurDMap() == fwData[FWD_DMAP] //If on warp point DMap/screen
        && Game->GetCurDMapScreen() == fwData[FWD_SCREEN]
    ){
        ffc warpPointFFC = loadUnusedFFC(false); //Get an unused FFC

if ( !ffcIsBlank(warpPointFFC) ) //If non-blank FFC, quit now
            return;

//Place the FFC
        warpPointFFC->Data = CMB_WARPPOINT;
        warpPointFFC->X = fwData[FWD_X];
        warpPointFFC->Y = fwData[FWD_Y];
    }
} 

Also, random note: Is there anywhere that has a quick, easy reference for sprite numbers in ZQuest?

Edited by Lineas, 11 August 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#12 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

Oops, forgot to mention that I added two new functions to stdExtra.zh... and didn't upload them.

Fixed now; download here.

#13 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

Ah, perfect. It compiled, now to test it....

Ok, when I use it, it sets the warp point all right (unless I'm on the overworld, then it insta-warps me to screen 80 (or whatever screen is assigned to tile warp a, apparently), but I'm disabling it on all DMaps that don't have a map item, anyways.), but when I try to USE it, it warps me to the screen I'm on, not the screen I set the warp on, but it DOES take me to the position of the warp. And for some reason it makes an arrow appear in the corner. like this

zelda026-1.png

And if I accidentally touch the warp point, or re-use FW on the same screen, it throws me into screen 80 (or whatever tile warp a is set to). So....yeah, I suppose this could be really useful if I wanted to be an ass and set a whole bunch of secrets across hyrule that can only be gotten by teleporting into screen 80, but I have a feeling it would be really frustrating for players.  Oh, and the warp animation isn't working at all.

Oh, wait, is it using tile warp a? maybe that's causing the problem, how would I change it to just grab an empty warp?

Oh, and now it's teleporting me again right after I end up in the cave, so on top of not working right, now it's dispelling itself (all I did was change the sprites, cuz I didn't like the ones being used)

EDIT: Ugh, ignore the apparent tone of my statements (I just re-read it and it seems a bit rude to me), I'm terrible with words and I'm SURE I did something wrong, so if I come across as angry at the script, I'm not.

Edited by Lineas, 12 August 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#14 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

The warp point should be a "None"-type combo, and the CMB_AUTOWARP should be an invisible "Auto Side Warp (A)" combo. Make sure you have both of those right.

#15 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Well, I just did, and it works better, but it still doesn't warp me right, it just warps me to either my tile warp a (the combo is set to use auto side warp a) or to my exact position on the same screen.

EDIT:Also, it doesn't set warp point, or rather it sets the warp point, but then warps me and dispels the warp point immediately.

Edited by Lineas, 12 August 2013 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users