Dungeon Floor Spinner

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

I'm working in 2.5.2 with the Dance of Remembrance (Hybrid) tileset. I'm posting this here because I couldn't find anything about this on the forums or in the database and I feel that it's an idea that other people would like to use in their quests.

Anyways, do you remember the floor spinners from the Oracle Series? (I'd provide a screenshot, but I haven't been able to find any.) Here are the tiles I'm using, though.

aGQzewC.png

They grabbed you, spun you to a new path and made for a slightly more complex level of dungeon design. Well, a while back my brother suggested making them and I decided to accept the challenge.

However, somewhere in the process I seem to have gone awry. I'm going to be posting my script here so maybe somebody else can guide me in the right direction to make these things a reality.

Here's the script as of now.

Spoiler

These are currently designed to be 3 x 3 because of the sprites that I'm using, but they could be 2 x 2 or 4 x 4.

My thanks in advance for any assistance in making these a reality.

Edited by ywkls, 08 April 2016 - 09:04 PM.

• Naru likes this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

There are a couple shots of the floors spinners here:

http://www.zeldadung.../ancient-ruins/

I could probably rip the rest for you later if you want/need them.

• Naru and ywkls like this

#3 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

I will note, I did this in To The Top without scripts (in 2.10) using the typical duplicate map trick used for multistate things. However, a scripted solution is certain to be much simpler and more flexible, and will probably look better too. So good luck with this!

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

I could probably rip the rest for you later if you want/need them.

The tiles I posted were from the EZGBZ 2.5 tileset and I didn't see any more in there at the moment that would work for these, so if you can produce some tiles that would be appreciated.

An alternative to moving Link in a circle might be to relocate him to specific coordinates. While not as smooth as circle rotation, it would work more easily.

There are other problems with this script including a few typoes that have been pointed out to me. That's one of the reasons why I posted it here, actually; since I've found that asking for help often stimulates my creative faculties to come up with a solution. (Unless someone else does first.)

I'm going to experiment with these some more today and see what I can come up with.

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

And I've got it mostly working. There are a few bugs that still need to be knocked loose and you shouldn't put it next to a wall or solid object in its current state. Here's a demo quest with the script in action. Any help at refining these to have multiple sizes of spinners or to make the animation and movement smoother would be greatly appreciated.

Dungeon Floor Spinner

Edited by ywkls, 09 April 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

Here ya go. The "circling" arrows (rows 2 and 3) only animate when the spinner itself isn't moving (I think). 

28jzmt2.jpg

Edited by Cukeman, 07 April 2016 - 11:32 PM.

• ywkls likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:25 PM

For some reason, ZC isn't letting me rip those tiles into my quest. All I get is black space. I don't know if it is the file type, or what. Also, did the original floor spinners actually change color like that? I don't remember.

Updated the script file for behavior that lets you put them within one tile of the wall so you're less likely to get yourself stuck. I'm not entirely sure how to make these variable in size and I'm not certain that I want to. They feel pretty complete to me at this point, except for the fact that the animation of the combos for the rotation doesn't exactly match the way that Link rotates.

I guessing this is now more of a scripting discussion topic than a script request, since I kind of solved this one on my own. (Though I did read a few tips that pointed me in the right direction.) Unless somebody else can think of something I should add, I feel that this script is ready to be submitted to the database.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

I didn't prepare the image file for ZC. I can if you tell me what CSet you're using and what that palette is.
Are you using EZGBZ 2.5 unaltered?

Also, rotate left is blue, rotate right is orange. Yeah.
It changes from one to the other with each use.

Edited by Cukeman, 08 April 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

I didn't prepare the image file for ZC. I can if you tell me what CSet you're using and what that palette is.
Are you using EZGBZ 2.5 unaltered?

Just as a reminder, I posted what tileset I'm using at the beginning of this thread. However, i can rip things from most other tilesets (including EZGBZ 2.5) without too much trouble.

I don't know what the appropriate CSet or palette from that tileset would be, though; since I'm no actually using it. Sorry.

Perhaps it would be easier for you to use the tiles I posted (and in the example quest) as a basis to work from. Since it's not passworded, you could work from that towards something suitable.

Thanks for the effort you've put in already, though.

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

Oh, okay. I can prepare it for the Dance of Remembrance (Hybrid) tileset.
  • ywkls likes this

#11 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

Oh, okay. I can prepare it for the Dance of Remembrance (Hybrid) tileset.

I've gone ahead and submitted the current version of the script to the database, because I feel that it is polished enough for general release. While the tiles aren't completely accurate as of yet, I can always alter them once you get done. I just wanted to make this more readily available to anyone who wanted to use it.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

Oops- forgot about these, sorry!

2hobq61.jpg

2hcgd5k.jpg

Not the prettiest, but I'm not too familiar with DoR. CSet 8.

Edited by Cukeman, 20 April 2016 - 12:07 AM.

#13 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

Oops- forgot about these, sorry!

Me too, actually... and unfortunately; when I save that file Zquest doesn't seem to be able to view it when I want to rip the tiles into my quest. No idea why, unless it can't read a .jpg file format. Did you create these directly in Zquest? If so, you can export the files as a .png; which I know can be imported.

Edited by ywkls, 19 May 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#14 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

Me too, actually... and unfortunately; when I save that file Zquest doesn't seem to be able to view it when I want to rip the tiles into my quest. No idea why, unless it can't read a .jpg file format. Did you create these directly in Zquest? If so, you can export the files as a .png; which I know can be imported.

Don't know why you're having trouble that is a .png image I exported from ZQuest (even though it says .jpg.png for whatever reason the image host calls it that). Can't imagine what the trouble is (did you try draggging the image onto the desktop or saving as "filename.png"?), but here's the .qst file itself. The graphics are on pages 47 and 48.

https://drive.google...Y29kMkVnZnA4akE

Edited by Cukeman, 19 May 2016 - 11:42 PM.

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

That worked, thanks! I'll get the database submission updated with these tiles shortly.

• Cukeman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users