• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

Hey all.

Does anyone know exactly what order Link's tiles are animated in when using Z3 animation? There is little information here, and, from what I understand, the first frame of 9 is a stationary frame. The next eight frames should animate, and they do, but.. Well, I'm not sure if they are supposed to animate in order, or not, but I basically made a video outlining my problem/ question. So, are Link's tiles supposed to animate in order, or are they supposed to jump all over the place, and omit frames altogether like seen below? I can't clearly see all the numbers I used to test, since it goes so quick, but it may be using 9 frames, but it does not seem to be using 9 unique frames. I really, really want to use Z3 animation for a smooth effect, and mainly to have a standing idle frame, but it is weirding me out, and looks kind of broken. I don't want to bother making unique frames for my little OC here if they can't all show up.

EDIT: Video might be a bit blurry atm, it is still processing.

I also have questions about the attack frames, and all that, but that will come later if I can get through this first :P. I really don't want to resort to using BS animation cause it flips tiles (I think? Haven't tested at the time of typing yet) and 2-frame Classic animation is too simple.

Thanks a million, guys.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hey all.

Does anyone know exactly what order Link's tiles are animated in when using Z3 animation? There is little information here, and, from what I understand, the first frame of 9 is a stationary frame. The next eight frames should animate, and they do, but.. Well, I'm not sure if they are supposed to animate in order, or not, but I basically made a video outlining my problem/ question. So, are Link's tiles supposed to animate in order, or are they supposed to jump all over the place, and omit frames altogether like seen below? I can't clearly see all the numbers I used to test, since it goes so quick, but it may be using 9 frames, but it does not seem to be using 9 unique frames. I really, really want to use Z3 animation for a smooth effect, and mainly to have a standing idle frame, but it is weirding me out, and looks kind of broken. I don't want to bother making unique frames for my little OC here if they can't all show up.

EDIT: Video might be a bit blurry atm, it is still processing.

I also have questions about the attack frames, and all that, but that will come later if I can get through this first :P. I really don't want to resort to using BS animation cause it flips tiles (I think? Haven't tested at the time of typing yet) and 2-frame Classic animation is too simple.

Thanks a million, guys.

There should be a set of Z3 anim sprite pages in the classic tileset to use as a template.

z3link.png

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 27 June 2017 - 09:45 PM.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#3 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

The walk animation should cycle through frames 2-9. Try it in-game; I think the preview just doesn't quite work right.
In case you don't know, you can press F4 to advance the game one frame at a time.
  • Anthus and MoscowModder like this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

There should be a set of Z3 anim sprite pages in the classic tileset to use as a template.

Yeah, I was looking at those, but they are still only based off of a two frame walk cycle. It just alternates the same two frames four times with an extra one for idle. It doesn't really show what frames 3, 5, 7, and 9 would be if each frame was unique. Come to think of it, I can't think of one quest that uses Z3 animation, and I think it might be broken, or I am doing something really dumb.

The walk animation should cycle through frames 2-9. Try it in-game; I think the preview just doesn't quite work right.
In case you don't know, you can press F4 to advance the game one frame at a time.

I tested it in game by advancing frames, and I made another video, but.. I dunno, they are all set up the same, and none show up except for walking up, and the numbers do not go in the correct order (but it is closer than what is shown in the editor). This video is a bit long, but everything is shown.

Best if veiwed at .25 speed at 1:25, while walking up towards the end to see what I mean. But none of the other directions show up at all, including down, which is the only one using actual tiles that aren't numbers. :P

I don't think I've made any huge errors, as this is a clean quest file, with nothing more than a c-set, and nine tiles ripped in. I'm not ruling out an error on my part, but this looks weird. Any ideas?

EDIT: This is build 29, "ZC 2.50".

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

Dunno how helpful this will be, since it's big Link and the spacing and layout is different, but you can at least see one way to handle 9-frame walk cycles (9 unique frames). And yes, the first frame is used when Link is not moving.

vfh5xk.jpg

EDIT: In this example you can see Link's arm swing like a pendulum, his hat, hair and shield bounce as he walks too. Each foot goes up, forward, then touches the ground and slides back behind him.

EDIT 2: I actually had to cut a frame or two from Minish Cap to make these cycles 9-frame, but it's hardly noticeable if you ask me.

Edited by Cukeman, 27 June 2017 - 11:37 PM.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

The other directions not showing up is probably because you've got an item (the small shield, presumably) with a Link tile mod set.
  • Anthus likes this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Yep, that was it. I forgot the small shield is checked in Link's inventory by default. That pesky small shield.. Who needs it?! :P

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users