But I thought he was a Russian Spy.

Spoiler

• Nathaniel, Anthus, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:45 AM

Yes. This gets at least 28 of my 30 yeses.

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:45 AM

I think I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Can a moderator move this to general discussion or entertainment?

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

So a Bill Nye show for adults tackling current issues in science in which there's a great amount of misunderstanding and pseudo-scientific concepts floating around? Well that's pretty cool. Really pretty cool. Can't wait to binge watch them all at 3 AM cuz Netflix is an enabler! :P
  • Nathaniel, Anthus and Moonbread like this

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

After watching this on Netflix, I have to say it's okay?

I feel the show failed at what it was trying to do unfortunately. It attempted to reach out to and teach people the dangers of being ignorant of science, but I feel this show isn't going to reach out to very many. It was only a safe space for people who are already predominantly left wing to discuss and push their political ideals while occasionally jumping into actual real science. Anybody who isn't already a Bill Nye fan or liberal will not suddenly be persuaded to believe him or have the slightest interest in this show, and he may have even lost some fans by trying to force unnecessary politics into this show that's supposed to be about science. 

It's a shame really.

It was a bit entertaining and fun though. But I feel his actual efforts in tackling real issues here are wasted in this highly disappointing show. .

• Nathaniel and Anthus like this

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

That's good to know Grant.  I'm not sure if I will eventually watch it or not, but if it's more about politics than actual science, that would be a problem.  If it's mostly just preaching to a choir, it won't be anything close to "saving the world".  I put the phrase in quotes because anything that claims to save the world typically doesn't, and is likely a sort of clickbait title.

#7 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear that : / As I felt like this show could have been really timely and needed.

-Strike

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

It's an entertaining show that certainly has science in it, but I feel there's a lot of activism involved and just ideals pushed out that are not even scientific at all. For example, Bill Nye claims there is a "gender spectrum" which is an idea heavily pushed by the LGBTQ community which claims there are many different types of brains that are not just male and female.

Certainly a great ideal, but if I recall correctly, conventional science I believe only suggests we are either biologically male or female, there is nothing else according to science. So if Bill Nye is making this bold claim that there is otherwise, the burden of proof will have to lie upon him since he is the one here making the huge claim that's counter intuitive to established science. 

I'm not normally a viewer of Steven Crowder's work because I don't often agree with his right wing beliefs, especially towards climate change, and surprisingly I have actually only even heard of him recently, but he's made an interesting video discussing this.

• Nathaniel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users