Tying a Phone to Wii Zapper

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

Okay, so I had a somewhat crazy idea, and while I don't have the stuff on me right now to try it, I wanted to see if anybody had any ideas on whether it would work or not.

So, I got a cheap cell phone VR headset for Christmas, and I've been messing around with it to stream games in VR from my PC to my phone. It turns out that it can use the phone's built-in sensors for head tracking and everything, the only problem is the resolution (I have a relatively small phone), and that the headset's lenses don't line up with my eyes quite right, so things are slightly blurry.

What got me thinking was how well the head tracking worked, and I got a bit of a crazy idea. It's possible to connect a Wii remote to the computer using Bluetooth. If I were to do that with the remote and nunchuck attached to a Wii Zapper frame, and use a rubber band to tie my phone to the Zapper, I'd potentially have a motion-control gun with a full controller's worth of buttons attached to it, all hooked up to my PC. If I were to then borrow a family member's phone, so I had a larger screen, and stick it into the headset, I'd have a VR headset plus motion-control on the gun. I could play something like Fallout 3/NV/4 and use the control stick on the gun to walk and strafe, the trigger to fire, and the remaining buttons to bring up the Pip-Boy or talk/interact/etc.

The idea is, since a cell-phone VR app uses the processing power on your phone to help, all you're really doing is streaming and it's much easier for the PC to manage. You could use the tracking on the headset for looking around, and make minute adjustments to your aim with the gun, for a really cheap full VR gameplay. The only disadvantage would be the lack of peripheral vision on the headset.

Any ideas why something like this wouldn't work? I wanted to ask about it, because now I'm really wanting to try it, but the Wii stuff is all in storage and would need dug out, and I'm currently staying at a dorm room at college, so I don't have everyday access to dig it out. I'd like to know if there's any kinks with the idea that would need ironed out ahead of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users