What Anime are You Watching?

• Please log in to reply
774 replies to this topic

#721 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

Each part is a different generation of Joestar.  DIO isn't even in Part 2.

#722 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Watching memories:stink bomb. Great movie, actually rather serious topics, but at the same time funny as hell.

#723 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:46 AM

I watched Evangelion this past week and now I think I have a complex.

But seriously, how did I never watch this before? I may have become more insane.

Edited by tim, 16 January 2017 - 02:47 AM.

• Naru and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#724 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:53 AM

As judged by my lack of activity in this thread, I haven't watched anime in months. The last season looked very dry and I ended up not starting any of the ones I was actually slightly interested in, and now have no interest to go back to.

There's a second season of Rewrite though, and I liked the first enough, so might as well watch that too.

#725 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

So I finally watched the last part of memories. Was a big let down. It is not bad itself, but it is more of an experimental/art-movie. These can be interesting, but I am not a fan of them in general, actual stories are more to my liking.

Soo, Mr Birthday kid, I wonder what anime you actually like. And why you like them. I think you watched even more anime than me :)

#726 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Animes I'm watching now:

Gabriel Dropout *NEW 2017 Anime*

Nyanko Days *NEW 2017 Anime*

Konosuba Season 2 *NEW 2017 Anime*

Rewrite Season 2 *NEW 2017 Anime*

Hanamaru Kindergarten 

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Azumanga Daioh 

Mahou Sensei Negima

#727 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Don't know the majority. Mahou Sensei Nagima was a bit boring to me and stopped early, but that might be my memory wrong or confuse it with another manga. Or the anime could just be better. I liked Love Hina at least, though it also was boring from time to time.

I absolutely love Azumanga Daioh, only did read the manga though. Yotsubato is also my favorite feel-good-manga, nothing better to up my mood. Another one would be Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, again only the manga though. You like anime like that, too?

And, while I feel it is inappropriate to cangrulate a stranger, it feels even more inappropriate to do not after calling you "birthday kid", so a late and hearty Happy Birthday, TK!
  • TK8305 likes this

#728 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

Anyone know anything worth watching this season?

My interests are either shonen fighting, psycho thriller, etc.

#729 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Space Dandy of course. Hail to MEOW!

#730 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

A bit off-topic, but I lately finished reading Deadman Wonderland, 3x3 Eyes, Ushio to Tora, Muhyo to Rouchi and Afterschool Military Activity. The first one was nice to read, but I doubt I would like enjoy the anime too many annoying charakters to endure. The 2nd one dragged on to the end, it was still enjoyable, but less would been better and again I doubt I would enjoy it as anime. Ushio to Tora also had its moments with just action after action and was overdoing it at times, but I think I will give the anime a try later. Muhyo to Rouchi, I don't think there is an anime with such main charakters, but it is actually really good. Afterschool Military Activity was a surprising highlight, I had it on my mind because of good critics but I am not a fan of these school-kids going military plots and thought it would also be such a typical action-story, seeing the drawing-style gave me the rest. But after giving it a try for once I realized it is really good.

#731 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:05 AM

You know I watched the first two episodes of Rewrite's second season and I just forgot it existed after that. I should probably catch up. I've been so disconnected from anime for whatever reason.

Until today! For My Hero Academia, one of my new favorite shows whose first season aired last year, just began its second season! And it's started off strong in my opinion, which is great! Feels good to be watching anime I'm actually very interested in again.

Oh, and there's more Attack on Titan too I guess.

#732 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

Just started watching two shows: "Interview with Monster Girls" and "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid". Both are slice-of-life comedies, and they're really good. The first one is kind of an alternate take on the "Monster Musume" setup, but with two major differences. First of all, Demi-Humans aren't a separate species but a type of genetic mutation, so as an example, while one character is a vampire, the rest of her family are all human. The second thing is, this isn't a harem series. The main character is a biology teacher who is studying the various monster girls to learn and write a paper on the differences and difficulties that they go through in their everyday lives, so that more people know and can make the appropriate accommodations.

The dragon one is a bit different. You know how ecchi is considered one step below hentai? Okay, now imagine going one step below ecchi. Basically, the main character was on a drunken stupor, removed a holy sword from a dragon, and invited it to live with her before going home and passing out. The dragon took her up on the offer, realized only after showing up that taking a human form would be more appropriate and not traumatizing, and ends up living there as a live-in maid with absolutely no idea what she's doing or what humans are like.

Unfortunately, they're both rather short series. I only found them last night, and I'm already halfway through each of them. I'm fairly certain that the dragon one is getting more episodes made over time, but I'm not sure about the interview one.

#733 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Not too long ago I watched Konosuba. I liked it a lot even though it includes a lot of elements I typically don't enjoy a lot. I also watched Kiba (rather out of boredom), it helps to increase the speed a bit. Finished FMA Brotherhood, actually not as great as I expected, but still liked it a lot. At the moment I am watching gate. I like how it at least tries to be realistic in many aspects. Though atm I am a bit unpleased how pollution through stuff like soap and plastic is completely ignored.

#734 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

I had actually started KonoSuba and got through the first two episodes, thought it was alright, but for some reason just didn't continue it. Lately I've just been bad at keeping up with anime, it seems.

#735 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

I find there's too much old stuff in life that I've been wanting to see and am backed up on, to actually keep up with new things very consistently. So I'll just list some stuff I have watched that stood out, and the one thing I'm currently watching/rewatching. I'll also list some manga because I've read at least as much as I've watched.

I go for subtitled almost always, except where explicitly noted.

Blue text for definite favorites,

Green text for aspiring favorites.

--- Anime
Sailor Moon (the original one; going to try Crystal later. Currently watching, definitely going to finish it; right now I'm in the middle of SuperS. I've liked basically the whole show, though I'd say season 1 was the best (especially episodes 23-24, 26, 31, 34-35, and 44), with early SuperS being the least good so far (most of the Amazon Trio episodes were kinda bleh, but I really liked the last two of that arc. I absolutely love this show, though; when it's at it's best, it's one of my favorite things I've ever watched in any genre or medium. As far as an adaptation, it lacks some cool ideas from the manga, and it runs a little long in some places, but it develops a lot of the characters so well and to such good effect that I don't mind at all. I like it so much, I started writing fanfic and drawing fanart and have a playlist full of the music... uh-oh. Also, my favorite characters are Naru, Umino, Nephrite, Zoisite, and Professor Tomoe, although there's a lot of other good ones)

Love Hina (All, including the specials and Love Hina Again. But the whole thing was a really sucky adaptation that compares poorly to the manga; I really recommend the manga over this any day, for better character development, better art, less weird dead-end arcs, and a way more satisfying ending. But at least the music was good? In fact, I still listen to music from this today, like 'Egao no Mirai e', 'Ramune Iro no Natsu', and 'Smile Smile').

Mahou Sensei Negima (Only a few episodes of the first version, it seemed kinda like another bleh adaptation, where again the most interesting part is the music.)

Negima?! (Only one episode, planning to try it again sometime. This one, on the other hand, seemed intriguing, with more of a new takeoff on the story and somewhat better art than the first show.)

Gargantia on the Verduruous Planet (All 13. Really really good. I can barely say anything that isn't a spoiler, but basically, it has good plot twists and interesting philosophical points, and I agree with some of what it's ultimately saying about 'being human'. This is also the newest anime I've watched.)

Project A-Ko (only 1 and 2 so far; amusing and goofy, really short but really lively with it's time, feels like a time warp to the 80s in a mostly good way. Something very 'breezy' about it, if that makes any sense.)

Tenchi Muyo OVA (only the first 14 episodes so far. I want to rewatch it, and then maybe try 'OVA 3', because my memories are old and foggy by now, but I know I liked it when I saw it...)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (currently watching, halfway through season 1 of a dubbed copy. Really good fairly-hard-science intrigue/action/detective fiction, the tachikomas are pretty cute, there's some deep philosophy, disturbing moments, and just a lot of fascinating ideas in almost every episode. Pretty heavy material, but really cool.)

Azumanga Daioh (I've only seen a couple episodes, but it seemed like a super faithful adaptation of the manga... which means it's pretty great! Gotta see the rest sometime.)

Dirty Pair (the first few episodes... kind of amusing I guess. I like the spaceship/building visuals.)

Gundam (some really old movie-versions based on, I think, the first season of the first show, with Amuro and White Base. Kind of an interesting war story and seemed to have a lot of depth to it, but I never got super duper into it.)

--- Manga

A.I. Love You (All of it. Interesting concepts, cool whiplash of humor and dark dramatic bits, wish it was longer and less episodic, and the artwork doesn't really get good until volume 6, though I really like volume 7 and 8's art. It's sort of a weird favorite of mine, where I have to preface my favoritism with all the little things that are wrong with it, yet I like it a lot anyway? Mostly for Saati's character development, although I like Hitoshi, especially the bit where he jumps in the river after the disks.)

Love Hina (All of it. Pretty good, insofar as it's got some funny humor, cute character drama, and I would say it's got some of the most attractive-looking artwork I've seen. Cool hairstyles, too. It makes me want to write a polyamorous Keitarou/Naru/Mutsumi fixfic, though)

Mahou Sensei Negima (up to volume 22 or so; I want to reread the whole thing and finish it because I'm confused about a lot of it now. This one was big and complicated and confusing, but I know I liked some of it. Setsuna, Nodoka, and Chisame were cool.)

Ground Defense Force Mao-Chan (the first couple volumes. Cute, but kinda goofy and fluffy without much of a sense of really going anywhere? And something feels awkward about it, but I dunno, it's alright)

Mahoromatic (it was amazing and I wish it were longer and I wish it had a prequel series about the war and maybe a sequel series and frankly I'd also read a story just about the Matthew/Arcadia thing, and wow this one is just really dramatically intriguing, saying a lot with a little, and whiplashing awesomely between darkness and cheerful humor all the time. It's one of my favorites. Also, the artwork looks really, really cute most of the time, except for when it's got crazy gonk going on, but honestly at least it's also pretty good at the creepy gonk stuff. But I have a hard time believing adult Suguru's way-less-cute appearance, unless he had a ton of growth stimulants and/or cybernetics, which... he easily might've)

Azumanga Daioh (very cute and always cheerful. Makes you feel better when I'm depressed. I would consider it a classic.)

Yotsuba&! (up through volume 7. Lots of fun, very comparable to Azumanga Daioh, but with more of a weird-stuff-kids-think-of bent. Fairly innocent, too.)

Sailor Moon (only the Dark Kingdom arc so far, going to read the rest of it. I'm pretty sure I like the anime better because this version is a lot more short and brutal, lacking a lot of the side-character development and redemption arcs I really loved in the anime...  but I still want to check this one out more because there's some cool stuff, and it's the original story. It also complements the anime by including ideas the anime missed, like the full backstory of the Shitennou).

A-Zone Sailor Moon Doujinshi by Kiyohiko Azuma (chapters 1, 2, and 4, because those are the only ones I can find. The Azumanga Daioh guy did this amazing comedic Sailor Moon fanfiction, basically, and it's super great.)

Gate! Thus the JSDF Fought There (up to volume, um... uh, the part where they go to the Minotaur Labyrinth. There's a lot of interesting worldbuilding depth, fantasy politics, plausible economic issues, and super dark brutal nasty stuff going on in this one, with a very interesting societies-mashing-together theme. I like it and want to read the rest of it, but it's pretty heavy material. More interested in the story than the art, but the art is alright. I think my favorite character is Pina, or maybe Itami's ex-wife).

Excel Saga (the first three volumes. I remember it being kind of funny but it's been a long time and I never finished it.)

Read or Die (the first four volumes... but some key plot points barely made sense to me back when I read it 10 years ago, so, I dunno. Maybe I'll try the anime version someday?)

Dragon Ball (the first 6 volumes or so... the part where Goku was beating up the Russian Red Ribbon Army. Really silly and I never got super into it, but I guess it's kinda fun. I also read Dragon Ball Z's Saiyan arc, which was alright. I get curious and poke at it every now and then.)

--- Some stuff I think I want to read or watch, but haven't yet

WIP: Sailor Moon (the rest of the anime and the manga)

Sailor Moon Crystal

WIP: Ghost in the Shell (the rest of S.A.C. and probably 2nd gig)

Mahou Sensei Negima (manga; start over and read all of it)

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Neon Genesis Evangelion (maybe also the Shinji Ikari Raising Project?)

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (the manga and the anime)

Mahoromatic (the anime, probably both seasons)

Project A-Ko (3, 4, and those other two alternate universe episodes)

Tenchi Muyo OVA (re-watch because I don't remember it well)

Gate! Thus the JSDF Fought There (catch up on the manga, and try the anime)

Azumanga Daioh ("The Animation")

Negima?!

Dragon Quest Abel Yuusha

And that's probably me forgetting some stuff, and without even scratching the surface of the non-anime stuff I want to watch but haven't yet! This is why I don't take totally random recommendations from people very often, and am hesitant to go around pushing my own on anybody. Backlog.

Do Hiyao Miyazaki films count? I've only seen a couple of those (Mononoke Hime, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Spirited Away), and there's some more I'm planning to see at some point, but my brain wants to classify them as something different.

Likewise, does Avatar: The Last Airbender count? I watched most of that (all but some of the very early parts). While I wasn't really into the art, it had a pretty great story that developed good continuity and depth as it went, and I was fond of Zuko.

Edited by Mitsukara, 05 April 2017 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users