Photo

The State of Enemy of the Month

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

• Forum Moderators

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

Hey guys. As some of you may have noticed, Eddy and I haven't really been on top of things in terms of running EotM and making the contest stick to a consistent schedule. We have had quite a few delays, particularly with EotM #20 where we didn't even announce the winners of that month's contest until almost 2 months after it started. The reason for this is that we both have been extremely busy with our own lives, especially with school. We both have to prioritize our education for right now because we are both faced with a school year that we must do well in.

Because of this, we both came to a decision: we are now announcing that we are stepping down from EotM. We both don't have enough time to host it effectively due to our priorities at the moment, and we don't want to drag the contest down with us due to lack of time. We both have really enjoyed hosting this contest, though, and we really appreciate everyone who has supported this contest by voting in the polls and giving feedback or even submitting an enemy. :)

Now that Eddy and I are officially done with EotM, we need someone who is interested in hosting the contest to replace us. This person will assume the responsibility of running EotM, meaning that you also don't have to follow the precedent set by Eddy and I. If you want to change some things about the contest, you'll be free to do that. If you are interested in running EotM, please send a PM to me (DaviAwesome). Please include a little bit about yourself and why you want to host the contest, and anything else that could help your case. We are looking for people who have a good record with the site and who are dependable and invested in the contest.

We apologize for having the situation come to this, but hopefully a successor to both Eddy and I can be found so that this contest can keep going well. Thanks everyone! :)

Edit: Just to add some information, if two people want to co-host EotM together, just make sure that your PM application explicitly states those two people. Thanks!

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#2 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Just a quick post to say that I've been interested in taking over and I have since sent DaviAwesome a pm about it. If somebody else wants to take the job that's perfectly fine with me as I got a ton of other responsibilities already, however I do have plenty of time to run a monthly contest for sure. Especially more so now that my young one is in school now. 

I felt the need to post this because nobody else was posting and it gave off the impression to some PureZC members that this was dead. So for those who are concerned, there is no worries since I will surely continue where DaviAwesome and Eddy left off if they are interested in passing it over to me. 

I have a very good platform to host the videos since I'm already a Lets Player who handles his work as professionally as possible, and as far as I know I can be entertaining on the mic. Also despite the way I carry on sometimes, I consider myself responsible. 

But ya, Davi and Eddy might have somebody else in mind. But I feel it'll make people feel more secure about this contest to show that I'm at least interested to keep this going. 

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrator

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Personally, I feel this contest needs someone who can inject some new excitement and interest into it. I feel it will take a bit more than just picking up where the others left off. In order to stay interesting, stuff like this needs to change a bit with time. You shouldn't be just handling the submissions and putting out a single notice. You really need to advertise a bit, mix things up from time to time to stay fresh, and have a level of excitement for the contest that gets others excited, too. This isn't always easy, and can definitely be a bit much for those under a lot of stress or tight schedules. If you're interested in taking it on, NJF, I hope you'll do your best to invest the time and energy to do all that.

One issue that I've had with this contest for awhile is that the prevalence of scripted enemies means that clever enemy editor variations are easy to overlook. Scripted enemies are a hugely important part of the contest, but I feel the current structure can be discouraging for those without those skills. I'm not exactly sure how to address it, but I feel like finding some way of making non-scripted enemies feel like a more welcome addition might boost participation in the event overall.

Anyway ... those are just some random thoughts I had. I wish the best for the contest, and whoever ends up taking over, I'm confident you'll do a great job.

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 4 others like this

#4 David

David

• Forum Moderators

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Part of the reason Eddy and I decided to drop out of hosting EotM was to let someone else do something new with the contest if they could. I really encourage whoever takes over to change things and improve the contest structure if they can. :)

I also definitely agree that scripted enemies pretty much always had quite an advantage over enemies made with the enemy editor. One of the reasons the contest has three voting categories was to try and make it easier for enemies made with the enemy editor to at least win in one of them. I've tried to come up with better solutions in the past as well but I guess it's kind of a tricky thing to fix. Me being busy with other things didn't help either.

In any case, I've received a few PM "applications" already, which is great. If anyone else is interested in hosting this contest, just PM me with the requirements I mentioned in the opening post. Eddy and I will probably be deciding on who takes over relatively soon.

Thanks!

• Shane, Eddy and NewJourneysFire like this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

I'm using Tilt Controls!

• Contributors

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

I dropped you a line, but I wanted to post here. If I'm picked, I would probably want a partner too.

And, backing up to what Aevin said, advertising is key. My own Dungeon of the Whenever I get Entries contest suffered for this very reason.

/pointless self-advertising cause it's the only way and you can't see sigs on the mobile skin so I'm assuming no one sees it.
  • Shane and NewJourneysFire like this

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

Personally, I feel this contest needs someone who can inject some new excitement and interest into it. Other stuff...

He replies to my post and this is what he starts with? *goes off muttering a bunch of incoherent profanity and use of the word "Aevin" a bunch of times*. jk

I absolutely agree with everything you said though. :P

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 19 October 2016 - 04:03 PM.

• Shane, Aevin and Naru like this

#7 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

Despite not having posted in this topic since you posted it, I PMed you shortly after this topic went up. One thing to note is that I'll likely be changing the contest to have less... "safe" themes (you know, safe like "Water enemy", "Fire enemy", etc and the like), and more outgoing themes, like "Thermal Mechanical enemy", or "Mythical Aquatic enemy", should I become the host. I plan to do a special theme every 4 months, and have the occasional "safe" theme every once in a bit. Sorry, forgot to mention this in the PM.

(Also a partner would be a helpful thing to have)

Edited by Dimentio, 20 October 2016 - 09:54 PM.

• David likes this

#8 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:50 AM

Despite not having posted in this topic since you posted it, I PMed you shortly after this topic went up. One thing to note is that I'll likely be changing the contest to have less... "safe" themes (you know, safe like "Water enemy", "Fire enemy", etc and the like), and more outgoing themes, like "Thermal Mechanical enemy", or "Mythical Aquatic enemy", should I become the host. I plan to do a special theme every 4 months, and have the occasional "safe" theme every once in a bit. Sorry, forgot to mention this in the PM.

I honestly thought having simple themes like that would allow a much broader and better contest. We didn't want to go for something really specific like that since I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a lot of entries compared to something simpler and easier to get entries and so that people will find it easier to make enemies... if that makes any sense :P

Either way, I definitely do agree with Aevin. The whole issue of scripted enemies winning over default enemies has always been a thing, but yeah we never had any good ideas to overcome that lol. But yeah, glad to see that people are up to keeping this contest alive. Hope whoever takes over does a better job at recording videos than I did :P

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

It's alright threading on unique and interesting sometimes to just shake things up, but safe is good for a reason. If anything, I'd suggesting forming the contest in a way where it gives the contestants something worth striving for. Like after 20 months you can have (The Best of 20).

I believe proposing some form of schedule or event order so people can know what to anticipate in the future before hand. Similar in same fashion as screenshot: challenge accepted. I believe taking over the contest and making total drastic changes could risk ruining the contest just like it would be equally as bad as playing it too safe if people have already lost some interest.
  • Anthus and David like this

#10 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

One of the reasons I feel the safe themes should be moved away from is that, eventually, we will run out of them. If we were to introduce more specific themes and mix them in with the safe themes, that could slow down the running out of those safe themes. That said, I do want to mix in Safe themes with Complex themes. Well, that sentence was redundant. Oops. What I meant was, I'd like to have at least 1/4 of the themes be complex. 

Edited by Dimentio, 22 October 2016 - 10:01 AM.

• NewJourneysFire and David like this

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

The whole issue of scripted enemies winning over default enemies has always been a thing, but yeah we never had any good ideas to overcome that lol.

You could have a general rotation outline like SS:CA does, then a "Special" challenge every few months for an "enemy editor only" contest. Maybe make it a free-for-all, since forcing a theme into an already limited resource would turn off a lot of potential contestants.

#12 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

You could have a general rotation outline like SS:CA does, then a "Special" challenge every few months for an "enemy editor only" contest. Maybe make it a free-for-all, since forcing a theme into an already limited resource would turn off a lot of potential contestants.

True, we could've. We've had quite a few special contests in the past, with no theme at all, but yeah a rotation could've worked out pretty well.

• NewJourneysFire and Lüt like this

#13 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

I thank you guys for all of the hard work that you have given this Enemy of the Month.  It is really awesome to see how this turned out. :D 

I really love this event especially because how much I have seen it grow and everyone that is involved in it.  I don't want this to just go away.  Since I started this event, I don't mind picking it back up if needed.  Just let me know, I can try to remaster it as well.  You guys are right, the reason why I went with the 3 different categories was so that it didn't push anyone away from entering if their skill set was not that high.  Because you can still make a very Useful Enemy without it being the overall Best.  :)

• Eddy, Evan20000 and David like this

#14 Anthus

Anthus

I'm using Tilt Controls!

• Contributors

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hey, NJF, if they pick us, you wanna change the name of the contest to "NewJourneyFire of the Month"? :P

• NewJourneysFire and David like this

#15 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:31 AM

Hey, NJF, if they pick us, you wanna change the name of the contest to "NewJourneyFire of the Month"? :P

Now that you mentioned it, I'm still surprised that Eddy has not yet gone mad with power and renamed it Amy Rose of the Month. 

• Anthus, Jared and David like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users