Photo

Enemy of the Month #16: Outer Space Theme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Enemy of the Month #16: Outer Space Theme (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Overall Enemy

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Useful Enemy

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Creative Enemy

Vote

#1 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

Welcome to Enemy of the Month #16!

This month, the theme was Outer Space, so you would have to make an enemy based off the vast landscape of the cosmos! We have some pretty interesting enemies this month. Please look through the enemies and vote honestly and fairly. Submit your votes for the following categories:

• Best Overall Enemy: The best overall enemy this month.
  • Most Useful Enemy: The most useful enemy this month that everyone can/could use in their quest.
  • Most Creative Enemy: The most creative enemy designed this month.

YouTube Video Link
To watch all these enemies in action without downloading any of the enemies, click on the following link: https://www.youtube....h?v=7PcQLzvHW6s

All Enemies Download Link
If you wish to download all the enemies in one get go, click on the following link. This is done so that you don't have to download all the enemies individually: https://www.mediafir...k4qi4d849o6ltje

The Enemies
Here is all the information and download links for the enemies this month.

Global Warming - Joelmacool

Name: Global Warming

Description: Oh no! Global Warming has struck the Earth and now Earth is spewing out fire across space! Who will help us? Why, it's BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!!!!!

Version: 2.50

Quest File: http://www.mediafire...1yyfg/Space.zip

Spore Spawn - ywkls

Enemy Name- Spore Spawn

Description- An attempt to recreate the behavior of the boss from Super Metriod. Setup- requires std.zh, string,zh, ghost,zh and ffcscript.zh. Create 5 separate enemies in the enemy editor. They will be the Top Shell, Bottom Shell, First Segment, Tail Segments and Core. Be sure to assign the tiles with the green Cset in the enemy editor as tiles for all the parts. Also, all enemies should block all weapons. The top and bottom shells should be shielded on all sides.

The core's attributes are as follows: 

One- Type of hover. Set to 3 to create figure-8 movement.

Two- Half of total horizontal movement, in pixels.

Three- Speed of horizontal movement. Low speed recommended.

Four- Half of total vertical movement in pixels.

Five- Speed of vertical movement. Again, low speed recommended.

Six- Width of core in tiles. Currently set to 2.

Seven- Height of core in tiles. Currently set to 3.

Eleven- Combo number core is when it starts. Create a second combo next to it for damaged form.

Twelve- Script slot number.

Version of Zquest- Created in 2.50.2

Quest File- https://www.dropbox....espawn.qst?dl=0

Ridley - Norfair Battle - ywkls

Enemy Name- Ridley- Norfair Battle

Description- An attempt to recreate the behavior of Ridley from Super Metroid, in the second fight against it. Requires std.zh, string.zh and ghost.zh.

Setup- Create 4 separate enemies as follows.

1. The core- the actual ghosted enemy. This should be invisible with its tile set to a block of invisible tiles. HP and damage used in demo are suggestions. Set Misc attributes as in demo for proper behavior. 

To adjust Misc attributes-

Two- Half width of horizontal movement.

Three- Horizontal speed.

Four- Half height of vertical movement.

Five- Vertical Speed.

Six- Enemy Width. Set to 4 as default.

Seven- Enemy Height. Set to 4 as default.

Eleven- Set to negative one since we're not using a combo.

Twelve- Script slot number.

Set all other enemies to ignore all weapons.

2. The body- This enemy uses two sets of tiles in a 6 x 7 and 7 x 6 configuration.

3. The tail segments- a 2 x 2 enemy.

4. The end of the tail- a one by two enemy.

Change all constants to match appropriate values in your quest. Warning! For unknown reasons, it was discovered during testing that in Sideview Gravity you can be pushed through solid combos at the bottom of the screen. It is recommended that this enemy be placed in a room at the bottom of a map.

Version of Zquest- 2.50.2

Quest File- https://www.dropbox....ridley.qst?dl=0

Phantoon - ywkls

Enemy Name: Phantoon

Description- An attempt to recreate the behavior of the boss from the Wrecked Ship in Super Metroid. Set up- Create 3 enemies which are the 2 x 2 core, which is the one that runs the script. The core uses no combo and should be set to a blank tile. The body, which is 8 x 5. And fireballs, which are 2 x 3. All enemies except the core should be type Other-Floating. Set up all constants to reflect your quest. Requires std.zh, string.zh, ghost.zh.

Version of Zquest- 2.50.2

Quest File- https://www.dropbox....antoon.qst?dl=0

Thank you to everyone who submitted! Now go and vote guys! Thank you and see you in the next EotM competition!   :)

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Emily, the Gets Stuff Done

• Database Staff

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:28 AM

Man, this is a very tough one to choose. Ywkls tries his hardest, he really does, and he's getting better with ZScript I think. But then each of his bosses here has some sort of visual quirk or bug that makes it look unfinished. When enemies or parts of enemies teleport around like that it just doesn't look natural or fluid at all. Not to mention in the game design department many of those attacks looked outright impossible to dodge. Ridley takes it to a whole new level when he teleports the player. "Oh sure, have some free mandatory damage!"

Joel's on the other hand is clearly a joke submission. It's a goofy enemy editor enemy, but it's fluid and functional and even made me chuckle a little. It's something I could maybe see used in a joke quest. It's not the kind of entry I usually find myself voting for, but I suppose Joel wins all three categories.

• Eddy, Joelmacool, Evan20000 and 1 other like this

#3 Polaris

Polaris

• Forum Assistants

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:50 AM

I voted for Joelmacool for making me realize that Global Warming is our enemy, a threat to the entire world. But not only did it make me realize that, but I feel as if Joelmacool was trying to represent more. Bill Nye, also known as BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!!!!! killed the entirety of Earth because it's not Global Warming that was the enemy in Joelmacool's entry. It was us, the human race, contributing if not creating Global Warming. It's our true and very real Enemy of the Month that exists in the real world, and Joelmacool's symbolic and educational entry is what inspired me to vote.

All jokes aside, I did like his entry the most, on a humor and serious level. The earth and moon being a Patra felt like a cool and creative effect and I can see it being useful for a space level or a joke quest for sure. Another reason was that the enemy provided breathing space; I'm not a fan of tanking.

• Eddy, Yoshi, Joelmacool and 3 others like this

#4 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:08 AM

I forgot this contest was a thing and didn't submit anything. Oh well.

I liked Spore Spawn the most of ywkl's three entries. The other two felt like they needed a lot more polish. Spore Spawn could still use some, too, by either restoring the safe spots Super Metroid has or slowing it down a lot so jumping around it would be feasible.
  • Cukeman and ywkls like this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

I didn't vote though I really, really wanted to. That's because this month I basically went crazy and tried to script every boss in Super Metroid; starting with these guys. I'm going to comment on the other enemy first.

Global Warming- A patra that drops fires that persist... this gives me some ideas. Decent, for a joke enemy.

On to other stuff.

Man, this is a very tough one to choose. Ywkls tries his hardest, he really does, and he's getting better with ZScript I think. But then each of his bosses here has some sort of visual quirk or bug that makes it look unfinished. When enemies or parts of enemies teleport around like that it just doesn't look natural or fluid at all. Not to mention in the game design department many of those attacks looked outright impossible to dodge. Ridley takes it to a whole new level when he teleports the player. "Oh sure, have some free mandatory damage!"

I'm not sure about the nature of the visual quirks that you're referring to. I also didn't note any teleporting of parts, though that might be because there are times when I just give up trying to fix a glitch rather than find a way to fix it. I agree that Ridley's grab attack isn't fair, though that's mostly because the only way I could figure out how to do it was to set it up on an randomizer since having it based on proximity didn't ever seem to work.

I liked Spore Spawn the most of ywkl's three entries. The other two felt like they needed a lot more polish. Spore Spawn could still use some, too, by either restoring the safe spots Super Metroid has or slowing it down a lot so jumping around it would be feasible.

The problem with the safe spots is adjusting the way it moves to be just right. As for speed, I may be able to fix that.

Now some specific issues with these enemies that I don't know how to address yet.

Spore Spawn- To make the spores drop items is something I'd like to have, but I just didn't add it as I couldn't think of a way to do it then. Now, I believe I might have the answer.

Ridley- You don't actually have to jump to hit the core, though it does make it easier. You could just shoot straight up at it. The biggest bugs I know of are the grab feature and the fact that sometimes whenever it is hit with a weapon, that weapon can pass through it and hit the enemy a second time.

Phantoon- This one is quite literally bug city due to some things I just couldn't figure out how to do. Making the fireballs drop items, making them hop, even making them disappear when the battle was over just eluded me completely. I have ideas on some of this, but on others I've got no clue.

I appreciate all criticism because frankly, I can't solve a problem that I don't know exists (either because I didn't notice it or for some other reason) and because there are some things which are issues which I don't always take into consideration.

EdIt: I also forgot to put a description of how to set up the Misc attributes of Phantoon, but they're the same as the other two so they shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Edit 2: Oh and any help on the tendency of Ridley to phase you through a solid floor if not at the bottom of a map? Cause that just boggled my mind every time it happened.

Edited by ywkls, 30 January 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

I voted for Joel for all three, it's a perfect example that sometimes simplicity works best.

It's like Moosh said, ywkls is trying hard, but I really can't vote just for dedication and ambition alone. All three of these bosses feel a tad broken in technical standpoint, and also not well executed from a gameplay perspective, not at all. There's just a lot of forced tanking here in my opinion. All three of these bosses feel technically broken, cheap, and forced in. They really weren't EotM ready if you ask me, but that's just my opinion.

• Joelmacool and Demonlink like this

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

She awaits the Hero of Legend...

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Voted for Joel as the best creative enemy, but man, ywkls could've won all three with either of his submissions. Sure, he's got the idea of the Super Metroid bosses, but like all have been stating, they feel... clumsy and unfinished; especially their movements, they look awkward. For example, a bug I found on your Phantoon submission:

zelda001_zpsavzseoyv.png

The fire eyeballs just stay there. The sounds of respawn are heard, but that's it.

Other than that, it sure looks you're getting more and more the hang of Ghosting. For that, you do deserve a big round of applause. :clap:

• ywkls likes this

#8 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

Voted for Joel as the best creative enemy, but man, ywkls could've won all three with either of his submissions. Sure, he's got the idea of the Super Metroid bosses, but like all have been stating, they feel... clumsy and unfinished; especially their movements, they look awkward. For example, a bug I found on your Phantoon submission:

zelda001_zpsavzseoyv.png

The fire eyeballs just stay there. The sounds of respawn are heard, but that's it.

I quite literally gave up trying to fix it because no matter what I did, they never died. In the final version, once the main boss dies I'll have the ffc change to an autowarp so that you'll go straight to the screen after you defeat it.

I've always open to improvements, so feel free to offer suggestions.

Other than that, it sure looks you're getting more and more the hang of Ghosting. For that, you do deserve a big round of applause. :clap:

I learned a great deal from these guys, especially Ridley. I also learned that are just some things I can't do yet 'cause I don't know how. Mostly, I used these for practice with stuff I'm uncomfortable with, like arrays; complex movement patterns and making bosses that are much larger than normal. I'm trying to get ideas for my current quest and since I've been wanting to do these guys for a while, this was the result.

#9 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

I quite literally gave up trying to fix it because no matter what I did, they never died. In the final version, once the main boss dies I'll have the ffc change to an autowarp so that you'll go straight to the screen after you defeat it.

I've always open to improvements, so feel free to offer suggestions.

I learned a great deal from these guys, especially Ridley. I also learned that are just some things I can't do yet 'cause I don't know how. Mostly, I used these for practice with stuff I'm uncomfortable with, like arrays; complex movement patterns and making bosses that are much larger than normal. I'm trying to get ideas for my current quest and since I've been wanting to do these guys for a while, this was the result.

Use a for loop to loop through all enemies/weapons on-screen and set their deadstates to 0.

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

Use a for loop to loop through all enemies/weapons on-screen and set their deadstates to 0.

Actually, that's what I did for the enemies. Might need to do that for the eweapons too, since I don't know whether that's an enemy or eweapon. Goodness knows this isn't the first time I've had an errant eweapon lying around after a boss was defeated. 

#11 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

I Want Your Money

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Like many others have stated, despite Joel's entry being vanilla, this is the one time I would say sticking to basics pays off. I can understand that ywlks is trying his best, but all three of his entries have design flaws, such as Ridley being able to grab you from across the room. Of the three he made, I personally feel Spore Spawn is the cleanest of the three. Although I don't like the fact that Samus jumps a mile high in each entry. Adds unnecessary false difficulty in my opinion.

Thus, my votes all go to Joel.

• Eddy, Jared, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Members

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:26 AM

:awesome:  Global Warming was great. Now I wanna see a mash-up of Global Warming and Phantoon; basically a floating ghostly Bill-Nye head that drops fire from his mouth, while his theme music plays in the background. You can call it "Glow-Bill Warming" :nerd:

• Eddy, Joelmacool and Evan20000 like this

#13 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

And here are the winners for EotM #16!

Best Overall Enemy: Global Warming - Joelmacool

Most Useful Enemy: Global Warming - Joelmacool

Most Creative Enemy: Global Warming - Joelmacool

Congrats to Joel for winning all three categories this month!

• Joelmacool, RedmageAdam and Lucas like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users