• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#511 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

During the 70s and early 80s, the minimum wage ranged from $1.60 to $3.35- $2.30 was the minimum wage the year the Atari 2600 launched.  Now granted, in those days, expenses like groceries and rent were significantly cheaper than now, but still, that's a ton of hours put in for a $200 luxury.  Meanwhile, right now, I could buy a Switch with one week's worth of pay.

• Neppy, Anthus and Jared like this

#512 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Also it finally happened: I dreamed I had a Switch.

This is gonna be a long short month.

I did the other night as well... It was sitting on a shelf, and I was so excited that I finally had it! Then I woke up.... You can imagine how I felt when I realized it was just a dream... Can't wait!!

• Anthus and Jared like this

#513 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm becoming so obsessed with Zelda. Like, I literally can't wait anymore. I took the entire day of and day after off from work just so I can play literally the whole time.

• Anthus likes this

#514 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

During the 70s and early 80s, the minimum wage ranged from $1.60 to $3.35- $2.30 was the minimum wage the year the Atari 2600 launched.  Now granted, in those days, expenses like groceries and rent were significantly cheaper than now, but still, that's a ton of hours put in for a $200 luxury.  Meanwhile, right now, I could buy a Switch with one week's worth of pay.

That is.. even crazier then. I remember my dad telling me about his first computer, a Packard Bell Axcel I, he bought in the mid 80's. It was about $1,500. In fact, we still have the old box here and what a powerhouse that thing was! Highlights include a speeding fast 12MHz processor (single core!), 640kb of RAM, a 4MB HDD, and keyboard with 12 (count them) Function keys! Probably useless, but we'll see. Is has MS-DOS, and well all joking aside, I guess my point is, it is really mind bending how the price has come down, and the power has gone up so sharply over the years on electronics.

I'm becoming so obsessed with Zelda. Like, I literally can't wait anymore. I took the entire day of and day after off from work just so I can play literally the whole time.

That's what I did too. I was gonna use my vacation time to take 4 or 5 days, but I'mma save that for the summer. :P

I did the other night as well... It was sitting on a shelf, and I was so excited that I finally had it! Then I woke up.... You can imagine how I felt when I realized it was just a dream... Can't wait!!

I want a Switch dream! I have had dreams about BotW, but not specifically the Switch.

• Jared likes this

#515 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

I have to say the initial Switch trailer AND the super bowl ad both have incredibly lame/terrible music.

I'm still interested in the console but... *shudder*

#516 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

I'm not really fond of the songs either. Unfortunately for the two of us, that kind of style is popular at the moment, but it at least shows Nintendo recognizes trends and can make an effective ad campaign that can appeal to the masses. Also, the song in the Super Bowl ad is by a popular band, and the song itself was unreleased before the trailer, so that's neat for Nintendo.

I could rant a storm about how modern music is awful, but... if it works for Nintendo, I can't really complain.

• Anthus, Cukeman and Naru like this

#517 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

Should've used Radioactive in the commercial instead. "The New Nintendo Switch, so good you'll want to play it during the apocalypse!"

god that would be Wii U era level of bad advertising

#518 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

How could you 1-up such good slogans, such as, "We would like to play!", and "Touching is good!"?

#519 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

How could you 1-up such good slogans, such as, "We would like to play!", and "Touching is good!"?

Share the joy

#520 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

Share the joy

"Jerk off a cow". (But wait.. That's.. Not how cows work, Anthus. )

We need edgy advertising! :P

#521 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:16 AM

The We Would Like To Play campaign was legitimately great. Probably the best Nintendo has ever done, and arguably one of the best the industry's ever seen.

11 years later and I still have Kodo Inside the Sun Remix stuck in my head.

Touching is Good probably wasn't particularly great, but I have a soft spot for it. It's so un-Nintendo like, and yet somehow the most Nintendo-like at the same time

#522 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:49 AM

I'm glad they called it the NX for a while the "Beta Switch" sounds too much like something else...

• The Satellite likes this

#523 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

You know I've done a bit of reflection on the whole "analog trigger" thing and I think I've come to realize... it's kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Sure, PlayStation and Xbox have them. Sure, without them, we can't have proper Gamecube emulation. But there's something else to consider... PC gaming. Now, I'm not exactly familiar with fancy gaming mice and if this is a thing on those (and it probably is), but the average computer mouse? They just click. No pressure sensitivity, just one click. Considering how popular support for the "keyboard and mouse" combo is, analog triggers no longer seem like the big important facet I used to think they were.

So. While it would be nice to have them just so we can guarantee a proper Gamecube Virtual Console... they're ultimately not that important to have.

#524 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

So. While it would be nice to have them just so we can guarantee a proper Gamecube Virtual Console... they're ultimately not that important to have.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this. I see what you mean, and it is a good point, but take the Wii's N64 emulation for example. They totally botched the control stick sensitivity, and that is critically detrimental to the aiming in the N64 Zeldas, walking slowly in Mario 64, among other things. Granted, a trigger button isn't as important as a joy stick, but still, I'd like Nintendo to deliver the best control scheme/ sensitivity/ accuracy they can. And.. tbh, the only GCN game that comes to mind that actually made use of the sensitive triggers was SMS. :P

#525 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the Switch does have one extra button over the Gamecube (the left bumper). So, Z could be mapped to be two separate buttons: right bumper for the Z button fully pressed down and the left bumper for Z being pressed 50%. It's not perfect, but it would be better than nothing and an easy way to probably adapt most games.

Speaking of the Gamecube controller, I sort of wish the Switch had the notched analog sticks like the Gamecube (primarily the c stick). I know some people are really concerned about the lack of a dpad for games when holding the joycons sideways for things like platformers and fighting games. I think that would be a good balance because the GCN's c stick was able to sort of snap into the main directions.

• Anthus and MarinaraSauce like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users