• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#16 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

I said Zelda Classic focused, not PureZC focused. There's a bit of a difference there. :P It was mostly suggested within the sever so I might look into it, or not.

#17 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

I have absolutely no idea about discord-servers, but I would suggest to close it just out of principle. Often small steps are the reasonable solution, but in this case a clean cut sounds better, showing to yourself your dedication to change. If you are afraid (I know, "afraid" is overdoing it) of others reaction you should do even more so. Standing in for yourself includes trampling over others sometimes and in your case it wouldn't hurt you to trample a bit more. Being nice is a great thing, but you are overdoing it ;)
  • Shane and Matthew like this

#18 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

I don't see why I need to be convinced to revert my decision.

You don't.

• Shane likes this

#19 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

Not quite sure if I'm overthinking things, but alright, short answers it is then. And short answer: My decisions are final. :P

As for the discord server, I'm not quite sure. I was suggested to make it into a general Zelda Classic focused server where people show off progress... What do people think of that? If not I might just delete the server.

I'd probably change it into a general ZC server. Would be a nice addition to have, but that's up to you and I don't mind if it gets deleted or not.

Either way, seeing how I haven't posted here yet, I totally understand your reasoning as to why you have to end the project. It was fun while it lasted, but yeah I understand trying to show off everything doesn't always end too well. Looking forward to any more future projects from you, and we should seriously collab some day to make the ultimate meme quest.

• Shane and Zaxarone like this

#20 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

We already have Vintage Dreams, so I don't think we need another ZC server. It's up to you.
  • Shane likes this

#21 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

We already have Vintage Dreams, so I don't think we need another ZC server. It's up to you.

Those are both general purpose chatrooms though, so quest development stuff comes up infrequently between random other discussions. Could mean people just don't care about ZQuest discussion, could mean people don't have a place where they feel it's welcome. Who knows.

• Shane likes this

#22 LinkFan212

LinkFan212

EVERYDAY is a BIG DAY

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

I may have known about this cancellation earlier in the week, but I wanted to come here just to see what you said...and gosh dang I wasn't expecting what I read. I knew you mentioned there was more, but I didn't know it was about expectations and feeling restricted. I'm glad I came and read this...Shane, you inspired me with what you said. Reading what I just read, feeling restricted with the Zelda "traditions", and still having the feeling of trying to make everyone happy, I understand that completely. You made a bold move, and I love and respect that of you. 

You talked about making things more private. I am like you in that sense. There have been so much progress on my own quest, but I hardly share it. Heck, the most I share stuff to is Moosh, and I do that because I respect and look up to his opinion, and he's also done so much for my quest as well (You'll find out one day... ;) ) I enjoy knowing I am not the only one who like to keep things private now. And Shane, let me tell you, it does pay off in the end. You'll enjoy it so much more I feel like.

You also talked about how others have expectations, and that too does restrict you. Yet again, I'm glad you said that as well, and have decided to start pulling away from the restriction. I have so many ideas for my quest, from the story, and to the gameplay, and yet I myself still have the mindset, "I wonder how [Insert ZCer here] will like this?" While it's not truly wrong to think that, it still has a restriction. You have inspired me to start pushing that weight off, and start asking myself, "I wonder how I will like this?" In the end, that's basically what art is, doing what you want! And isn't Zelda Classic just another form of art, creating something that WE want to see in our own eyes?

I want to thank you Shane for posting this. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed this quest isn't a thing anymore, but the reasoning inspires me so much more than you probably realize. You're a good guy, and I wish you have the best of times creating...well whatever games you will be creating! Thank you for inspiring buddy. :D

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#23 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

Hey guys it's me with the real final update. What a twist amirite. ãƒ„ Have some cool MIDIs and enhanced remixes by CDi-Fails and LunarRedMage respectively.

Contents:

Spellbound Temple

Wildland Shrine

Novalin Swamp

Ancient Waterworks

Unused 1

Unused 2

Unused songs never got remixes, consider them bonus tracks though. So here are the MIDIs and Enhanced Music files. Instead of a moment of silence for Sanctuary Tree please listen to these songs okthx. ãƒ„

I decided to reveal the story and what I intended so here's a few notes of interest cuz I'm too lazy to write everything done:

• You wake up in Novalin with Zelda.
  • A mysterious woman tells you of the Sanctuary Tree and its purpose: To seal an ancient evil for a millennia, the entire tree's lifespan. Nearing the end of the lifespan something had to be done so the Triforce sent them.
  • You need pieces of an ancient mirror to obtain a sword capable of banishing the evil.
  • You find a generic sword in Sanctuary Tree which acts as a central dungeon.
  • You can explore and find out about the world's history and backstory. A agent of heaven supposedly sealed the fallen agent.
  • Level 1, Spellbound Temple, requires a key, you find two pieces in the caverns located in Novalin Fields.
  • Level 1's details were already revealed so check that update out. The boss was going to be the spirit form of this ancient evil.
  • Level 2, Wildland Shrine, was located in the Wildlands which are basically the game's lost woods. You use an ancient tablet to find the way through. (This was going to require a redesign and the maze would be located off the map to make the woods bigger.)
  • Level 2 was a multi entrance dungeon with a huge focus on exploration and solving the path towards the end goal. (Not fun?) Boss was undecided.
  • Level 3, Ancient Waterworks, was located in Novalin Swamp which requires flippers from the Sanctuary Tree (I said it was a central dungeon, right?).
  • Level 3 had a water manipulation and a lot of openness going on. The boss was undecided but you'd use volt pillars to damage the boss.
  • Level 4, Sacred Beyond, was a overworld and dungeon hybrid. Keys on overworld sections would only work in the dungeon sections and vice versa. Overworld sections would be cold and dungeon sections would be hot, you'd use the two for some clever puzzles. Boss was something seen in Rite of the Storm (shameless advertising).
  • There was plans of extending the overworld to the east, a bunch of cloud platforms, some ruins up north east of the swamp and a desert east of the village. The desert would hide Level 5 but to get there you'd need something from the Sanctuary Tree. Level 5's name was never decided but it had "Vault" in it. Edit: NVM, it was called Forbidden Vault.
  • Level 5's gimmick was to grab the sword which was your goal, then escape the temple which is crumbling. The boss would be near the entrance and you'd have to kill it. Also the mirror would be the key to Level 5.
  • You finish the Sanctuary Tree and the ancient evil only to have this mysterious woman betray you. I wasn't sure on what would be stolen but it would of been the mirror most likely.
  • The final level would of been located in the ruins, a portal leading to the heavens, the Holy City, a huge complex dungeon that takes nods from each dungeon but not in a segmented manner if that makes sense.
  • The final boss, the woman, would be take on a final form describing that her race were ageless but not immune to death and that's how she managed to watch over the tree all this time. She wanted to become a god and she got this supposed "ancient evil" to join her in killing her entire race with a sword capable of killing them all. Still not satisfied she'd battle the last member of the tribe but could only manage to seal him. She called out for someone to do the dirty work and the Triforce heard her call, supposedly. Knowing the Triforce now exists she intends to use it to become a real god. (I'd have a NPC talk about this race beforehand, which was planned along with all the backstory).
  • Link defeats her and Novalin is saved.

I had other takes on this plan but this was what was final before the cancellation. I'm not really happy with the plans anymore but in any case, I'll miss Sanctuary Tree but alas I'm now moving on to other things. I hope this post clarified mostly everything.

• Anthus, Eddy, Jenny and 3 others like this

#24 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

I think the story is nice. Though also that it doesn't have too much to do with the zelda-universe. Making it a Zelda-game only limits you I think, the story seems better to be a stand-alone. Especially the last part of betrayal, I think you could leave a real impact with showing your talents as writer here and instead of subconsciously binding yourself to a Zelda-atmosphere you could create an atmosphere unique and shane-invoked to underline your work. New sprites for "Link" and Zelda and no zelda-races should also be enough to break free from the Zelda-feeling even if you use EZGBZ.
  • Anthus, Shane, Deedee and 1 other like this

#25 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

I understand your reasons completely for cancelling this project but damn, i was really looking forward to this quest.

• Shane and Deedee like this

#26 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

It's understandable that you did what you had to do.  I haven't made a single quest yet for that very reason; I don't want it to become too disorganized and cluttered for one thing.  My ambitions point to something which would likely be required beyond what ZC could be capable of.  I also don't want to get tied up in something and be too busy/lazy to finish.  But who knows; if I ever get off my lazy rear and put something together, I just might...

Anyway, sorry it didn't work out for you and look forward to whatever you crank out next :)

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users