String Tables

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

I want to combine the string tables from two different quests.

Exported string tables are apparently some kind of text file and can be edited in notepad++, but there's a bunch of special characters whose meaning I don't know. Simply pasting the two together doesn't work. I did a bit of experimenting, and simply changing one word in a string was enough to make ZC no longer recognize any strings beyond it. So the point is ... these things are picky.

Does anyone know enough to demystify the process a bit for me? Is there a way to do this, or am I just out of luck?

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

Strings are stored as char, including symbols that are invisible (all the SCCs are ASCII chars)in text editors, terminated with a null char. I was eventually going to make a string editor, for just this sort of thing, and to make it easier to type and edit them; but there's no base tool to do what you want to do at present, I'm afraid. I wanted to do something similar a few years ago, and it just wasn't feasible.

I'm pretty sure that are all stored as a single struct, in an array that uses its indices as the string IDs.

I can give you a function to export your strings as plain text, if you wish.

I might be able to do a build of 2.54 with some kind of internal toolkit for this, that you could use to dump, and merge them, then export the whole table, and import it in 2.5. Did you just want to append one to another?

It might be possible to do just that in a hex editor, but I need to check if the string IDs are stored in some way that would make that hideous.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 25 December 2016 - 10:53 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Anthus and Aevin like this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

That sounds like a great feature to add to your build. In my case I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and enter them manually.

Thanks for the answer.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

Oh, I was just going to pop out a quick build for you just to do this, because adding it properly will take some doing. Hmm... Perhaps just an option to import them starting at string index N?
  • Avaro likes this

#5 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

That'd work if it's not too much trouble. All I need is to plop one's strings at the end of the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users