Photo

Which github revision is 2.50.2 (the latest stable build)?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:32 AM

I poked around on github but cannot figure it out. Thanks!

#2 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:10 AM

Hey-o.

As for 2.50.2, I honestly don't know! :P

..Well sort of. It's actually in the branch marked "2.50.x" although ever since Saffith took over the public release builds I sort of stopped working on anything other than the trunk (except for the occasional bugs). So that is technically 2.50.3.

#3 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:12 AM

It's not there; this commit is as close as it gets. 2.50.2 is build 1797 in the old SVN repo.

#4 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:20 AM

Thanks! What's the difference between the master and the 2.50.x branch? Y'all are working on a new major version on the master?

BTW, how did you end up handling the issue of quest encryption keys in the public code?

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:25 AM

Y'all are working on a new major version on the master?

Enh. The idea was for that to be the rewrite, but it's going poorly, to say the least. It still might get thrown out entirely.

BTW, how did you end up handling the issue of quest encryption keys in the public code?

It's all public. People were a lot more okay with it when they understood it better. And the fact that other people have made programs to decrypt or de-password quests probably didn't hurt.

#6 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:30 AM

We didn't. That was a problem where there was no satisfactory solution for either side, so we turned to the ZC community for their input; first the admins, devs, forum staff, and finally the general ZC quest authors and users. Turns out no one cared and it was completely unanimous.

#7 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:59 AM

We didn't. That was a problem where there was no satisfactory solution for either side, so we turned to the ZC community for their input; first the admins, devs, forum staff, and finally the general ZC quest authors and users. Turns out no one cared and it was completely unanimous.

Makes sense. Back in the day there was a lot of concern about people "stealing" tilesets and dungeon designs, etc, but those assets were never secure. If ZC can read your quest data, so can a third-party crack tool.

Enh. The idea was for that to be the rewrite, but it's going poorly, to say the least. It still might get thrown out entirely.

Was it going to be backwards-compatible with 2.5? Or a new engine from scratch?

I remember several devs discussing starting from scratch and providing a "converter" that would process old quests. That may have been possible with 2.10 quests, but now with scripting, the enemy editor, etc. I'd be extremely surprised if it's possible to rewrite ZC while still staying backwards-compatible.

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:17 AM

The trunk has always been backwards-compatible with 2.5, so I guess you could call it a partial rewrite or possibly an overly-enthusiastic refactoring, but yeah; if anyone is loony enough to start a complete rewrite then it only makes sense to leave it up to 3rd party tools to do the [one-way] conversion.

It's been a slow year for ZC development as well. If you want or need repository access just PM me at AGN with your github username.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:42 AM

It's been a slow year for ZC development as well. If you want or need repository access just PM me at AGN with your github username.

Assuredly. I'm hoping to submit some kind of master plan to Saffith and Gleeok in January, and see what ends up on the reject pile.

Makes sense. Back in the day there was a lot of concern about people "stealing" tilesets and dungeon designs, etc, but those assets were never secure. If ZC can read your quest data, so can a third-party crack tool.

Was it going to be backwards-compatible with 2.5? Or a new engine from scratch?

I remember several devs discussing starting from scratch and providing a "converter" that would process old quests. That may have been possible with 2.10 quests, but now with scripting, the enemy editor, etc. I'd be extremely surprised if it's possible to rewrite ZC while still staying backwards-compatible.

Most of what I have in mind is ZScript-extension related, but there are some engine things that I wanted to do as well, such as adding in Link hitbox manipulation, and script weapon damage offsets; plus finishing up the docs, and such.

I have some threads on AGN that cover the sorts of things that I wanted to see in 2.55, 2.6, and onward. (I essentially have neither interest, not the dedication, to do a proper rewrite at this junction.) Have a shot, read them, and giggle if you will.

I've been trying to motivate Dimentio to work on the ZStrings stuff that he wanted to do, but that seems to be going nowhere. I think it's sort of silly, too, as the only useful thing I can see as being worthwhile adding to SCCs is a way to set a Screen->D value; given that you can read them from a string.

Anyhow, it's good to see you around DD! Thank you again for all the sanity damage that you endured doing this stuff. :)

P.S. GitHub can be a real pain in the bum to use. The way it's set up, it's hard to independently update the trunk, and the branch without using their full shell.

I'm not sure if the 2.50.x branch is fully synchronised with the 2.50.3 release that Saffith is doing.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 27 November 2016 - 04:47 AM.

#10 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

Glad that there are still people pushing the project forward!

Have y'all considered a kickstarter for funding development of ZC 3.0? This would require assembling a team of people willing to go full-time on the project, and pinning down concrete project vision and goals. But that's the kind of effort it would take to do a complete rewrite, I think.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:56 AM

Glad that there are still people pushing the project forward!

Have y'all considered a kickstarter for funding development of ZC 3.0? This would require assembling a team of people willing to go full-time on the project, and pinning down concrete project vision and goals. But that's the kind of effort it would take to do a complete rewrite, I think.

I'm not sure of the wisdom in this... Nintendo have left ZC alone for 17 years, but if you start fundraising to develop it, .... Why rock the boat?

That could turn ZC3 into AM2R Mk II.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 28 November 2016 - 06:57 AM.

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

I can't resist... urge ..to ..make taste..less.. joke... AAAAH! Damn you DD!! Daaaaamn yoooooooooooouu!...

Great Idea! With money we get from this making a new Zelda-like game will be as easy as taping a piece of graph paper to your computer and simply drawing what you want the screen to look like! For each stretch goal of only 10 cents, you get limited undo/redo functionality as well! :P

[serious mode]
I've actually thought about this before and came to the conclusion that kickstarter only makes sense if you're actually going to create (and sell) a commercial game in addition. Obviously the kick here would be that the engine would be a new and open source "ZC" and be free for everybody to use, but it would need some additional revenue from steam, mobile, or whatever else, just to keep people working on it long-term.

#13 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

I can't resist... urge ..to ..make taste..less.. joke... AAAAH! Damn you DD!! Daaaaamn yoooooooooooouu!...

Great Idea! With money we get from this making a new Zelda-like game will be as easy as taping a piece of graph paper to your computer and simply drawing what you want the screen to look like! For each stretch goal of only 10 cents, you get limited undo/redo functionality as well! :P

[serious mode]
I've actually thought about this before and came to the conclusion that kickstarter only makes sense if you're actually going to create (and sell) a commercial game in addition. Obviously the kick here would be that the engine would be a new and open source "ZC" and be free for everybody to use, but it would need some additional revenue from steam, mobile, or whatever else, just to keep people working on it long-term.

On a less positive note, apparently VS threw some errors regarding the structs in matrix.cpp from the 2.50.x branch, when Dimentio tried to compile. I've tried to get him to post them on AGN, but that hasn't happened, despite requiring all of 30 seconds. Apparently VS2008, using the project files, had some complications regarding the static decs, or something like that.

Have you encountered this before?

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 01 December 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#14 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

The errors I got:

Spoiler

Post too long, continuing in the next post...

Continued...

Errors:

Spoiler

These were the errors that stopped my compiling.

Also, I got some warnings that didn't stop the compilation, but I'll post here just in case:
Spoiler

Edited by Dimentio, 01 December 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#15 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

It looks like you've got a mix of files from the master and 2.50.x branches. Try cloning the repo again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users