Urgent, Response Needed: 2.50.3 May Be Going Away

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

I have an incredibly horrible and idiotic question, and I am going to ask that nobody chastise me horrible for asking it.

How do we find out what version we're actually using right now?  My ZC folder is packed to the brim with all manner of versions in it, and I gave them the best name I could, but I might have taken liberties based on their chronological release, or what I "thought" they were.

So, is there a way to see what version we're using while inside ZC or ZQuest, please?  Much appreciated.

#17 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

I have an incredibly horrible and idiotic question, and I am going to ask that nobody chastise me horrible for asking it.

How do we find out what version we're actually using right now?  My ZC folder is packed to the brim with all manner of versions in it, and I gave them the best name I could, but I might have taken liberties based on their chronological release, or what I "thought" they were.

So, is there a way to see what version we're using while inside ZC or ZQuest, please?  Much appreciated.

I would say Misc->About... from inside ZC, but that doesn't appear to have been updated since October 2015.

#18 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

I would say Misc->About... from inside ZC, but that doesn't appear to have been updated since October 2015.

That's exactly why I'm asking, I guess. :P  Sorry to be a bother.  I guess I'm just trying to avoid having to play that cross-reference game of checking zip file download dates with threads in the ZC Discussion forum.  That's going to be a pain.  :sweat:

#19 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

Additional fixes with Link exiting water. ( Saffith, 15-Dec-2016 )

Fixed an issue with Limk exiting water.

Do these refer to Link getting caught on the edges of water in certain quests?

Because if so, he can get caught up entering water as well as exiting it.

Some quests have the problem, some don't, and it would be great if it were fixed so that all of them don't.

But I have absolutely no idea how it's triggered or how it's resolved. If it happens due to something in quest rules, it must be a side-effect rather than a rule explicitly stating that kind of behavior.

As long as there's a 2.50.3 out there, someone's going to use it over 2.50.2.1 even if it's unsupported.

This and this again. If I were coming here for the first time, that's exactly what I'd do.

I think going with 2.50.4 is a wise choice.

Regarding Dimentio's point about 2.50.4 vs 2.54, given that those 2.5+ releases are far from official at this point, how about bumping each version number up by one? I've already seen some posts saying "2.54/2.55," indicating potentially multiple versions, so how about changing them to 2.55/2.56/etc.? Unless you have specific plans for six distinct releases before 2.60, I think that would be the best option now that 2.50.4 will likely be a thing.

My ZC folder is packed to the brim with all manner of versions in it, and I gave them the best name I could, but I might have taken liberties based on their chronological release, or what I "thought" they were.

I can't answer your specific question, but here's how I keep things organized:

I have a "C:\Games\NES" folder, in which I unpack my main ZC versions by version number, and within that, I currently have "ZC 2.50.0" and "ZC 2.50.2" subfolders.

Then on my main start menu, I have the launcher versions, followed by the game versions in parenthesis:

Spoiler

I set that up from the start, so there wouldn't be confusion later.

Though come to think of it, comparing filesizes may be an indicator. Perhaps these would help:

Spoiler

I'm kind of surprised how much smaller 2.50.2 is than 2.50.0, but whatever, there's your indicators. For any other versions you may have, you could check/download those specific ZIP files and compare the filesizes from there.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#20 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

You can tell from the Build ID in Misc->About.

2,50.0 is Build 24.

2.50.1 is Build 28

2.50.2 is Build 29

Here is where it becomes sticky, as Saffith forgot to bump the build to 30 for 2.5.3RC1. That is also Build 29.

The release that we are considering is Build 30.

I think the best solution to this may be a quest rule, as follows:

Quest->Rules->Other->Backward Compatibility : Use Old SetComboSolid Behaviour'.

If a quest was made in 2.50.2 or orlder, and opened in ZQUest or Zelda Classic, this would be the default.

If a quest is opened in 2.50.THISBUILD, the user can diable the rule. Saving preserves the rule as the user sets it, or the default of on.

If the user compiles scripts in a quest in 2.50.THISBUILD, the rule is disabled, and the bugfixed COMBOSDM is used.

Because Saffith did not change the build ID to 30 for 2.50.3RC1, it is very difficult, or perhaps impossible to automatically enable it if a quest was made in 2.50.3RC1. I will see if there are any other identifiers that were changed that can be used to detect 2.50.3RC1.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 21 June 2017 - 12:46 AM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#21 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Here is where it becomes sticky, as Saffith forgot to bump the build to 30 for 2.5.3RC1. That is also Build 29.

I don't think I did...? It says build 30 in the copies I've got, and further says 2.50.3 RC1 rather than just 2.50. Are you sure you're not using a slightly older build?

#22 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

I don't think I did...? It says build 30 in the copies I've got, and further says 2.50.3 RC1 rather than just 2.50. Are you sure you're not using a slightly older build?

Thank heavens. I must have checked a build that was compiled prior to the release of the RC. That solves quite a lot of headaches.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#23 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

So I'm not sure what may have caused this, but I was using 2.50.3 RC1 just now and came across a bug where Link can only use the button item with the sword on it and not the other button. This is in a quest where both button items can be assigned.

EDIT: I can still reassign button items

Edited by Cukeman, 02 July 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#24 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:57 AM

So I'm not sure what may have caused this, but I was using 2.50.3 RC1 just now and came across a bug where Link can only use the button item with the sword on it and not the other button. This is in a quest where both button items can be assigned.

Please try this build and report if you have the same issue.

#25 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

I don't know how to replicate it, it's only occurred once. Also, I'm on Mac.

#26 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

I don't know how to replicate it, it's only occurred once. Also, I'm on Mac.

Ahhh.... Did you run the Windows version using Parallels, or the OSX native binary?

We have yet to build a Mac version of the build using allegro 4.4.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 03 July 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#27 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

I used to use the Windows version (through Boot Camp) for scripting, but that was before I found out the reason my scripts weren't compiling on Mac was because I needed to put certain script files into resource folders.

I tried Parallels once, but it sucked really bad. Awful program.

Edited by Cukeman, 07 July 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#28 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

I used to use the Windows version (through Boot Camp) for scripting, but that was before I found out the reason my scripts weren't compiling on Mac was because I needed to put certain script files into resource folders.

I tried Parallels once, but it sucked really bad. Awful program.

Did you encounter the issue using the WIndows version, or the native Mac version?

#29 Local_Droog

Local_Droog

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

I'm very Interested to see the next ZC So Id much rather you Stop updating 3.50 and make something new! Maybe even Starting from Square one since ZC could use the Overhual.

#30 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

I'm very Interested to see the next ZC So Id much rather you Stop updating 3.50 and make something new! Maybe even Starting from Square one since ZC could use the Overhual.

Wooahh. You.. are from the future? Is it 3D?

But in seriousness, an "overhaul", or a rewrite rather, would probably take like 2000-3000 man hours, plus testing and all that. Cool? Yes. Likely? Not any time soon.

• Local_Droog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users