• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

Hey.

I need a script where instead of when you touch the edge of the screen you proceed to the next, i want it to act like zelda 3 where as you move, the screen moves with you.

Video Example: https://www.youtube....h?v=5Djin4njIUw

If there is already a script for this on the site, (I don't think there is) then can somebody direct me to it? :question:

Thanks! :D

• Aquamentus (Facing Right) likes this

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

I got bad news for you. Various people have attempted this, with various levels of success. The problem is that Z3 scrolling is not at all compatible with ZC's built in features. Even if you had a Z3 scrolling script, you'd need to rescript enemies, items, combo types, etc. You'll notice that, in the Moosh video you linked, he rescripted combat entirely. There's a reason for that. So while there's a couple of Z3 scrolling scripts out there (I believe Tophat made a publicly released one), you'll probably want to stay clear of them unless you're comfortable scripting everything, in which case, you'd probably rather make your own scrolling engine too.
  • Anthus and Moosh like this

#3 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

Ahh, ok.

Well, thanks anyway!  :)

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:56 AM

Caelan, that's not very encouraging :(

• Russ, Moosh, Deedee and 2 others like this

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

I got bad news for you. Various people have attempted this, with various levels of success. The problem is that Z3 scrolling is not at all compatible with ZC's built in features. Even if you had a Z3 scrolling script, you'd need to rescript enemies, items, combo types, etc. You'll notice that, in the Moosh video you linked, he rescripted combat entirely. There's a reason for that. So while there's a couple of Z3 scrolling scripts out there (I believe Tophat made a publicly released one), you'll probably want to stay clear of them unless you're comfortable scripting everything, in which case, you'd probably rather make your own scrolling engine too.

Yeah, you'd have to be an absolute madman to make a full quest in that style. Still fun to screw around with, though.

• Mitsukara, Russ and isilmo like this

#6 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

you'd have to be an absolute madman to make a full quest in that style.

I'm going to keep that statement on record, Moosh.

• ShadowTiger and Russ like this

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

I'm going to keep that statement on record, Moosh.

You'll probably find a use for it sooner rather than later. :P

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

I'm a madman, and even I stopped trying to reimplement the universe in z3 mode.

• Anthus likes this

#9 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

(I believe Tophat made a publicly released one)

I can confirm; it is far from complete, however, and I haven't worked on it in awhile. Also, if I do end up working on it again I'll probably end up reworking a lot of the existing code, so it's not very reliable to use.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

It's interesting to me. From the outside, implementing z3 scrolling seems easy. "How hard can it be?" Turns out it's insanely time consuming, and hard, and if the quest itself isn't fun, and only has that going for it what's the point?

I'm obviously not a dev, but I don't think z3 scrolling could be done with the current engine, at least not easily, or by any sane human.

To the people who have made scrolling prototypes: how do you draw the screens? I always wondered. Are they drawn entirely by the script, or does the script just "group" 2x2 screens together? I'm just curious.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

It's interesting to me. From the outside, implementing z3 scrolling seems easy. "How hard can it be?" Turns out it's insanely time consuming, and hard, and if the quest itself isn't fun, and only has that going for it what's the point?

I'm obviously not a dev, but I don't think z3 scrolling could be done with the current engine, at least not easily, or by any sane human.

To the people who have made scrolling prototypes: how do you draw the screens? I always wondered. Are they drawn entirely by the script, or does the script just "group" 2x2 screens together? I'm just curious.

(Emphasis, mine.)

True, but many of us are quite, quite, mental.

I was going to use it for a sort of in-community parody quest, and I discovered that I was spending countless hours reworking every single enemy, combo, and possible collision, then discovering yet more that I needed to do. you want a treasure chest? That's easy.

Oh? What's this? You want an item to be inside the treasure chest?

Well, the screen item isn't reliable for that, because the chest could be on one of four screens. Away we go to screen->D. Oh, Screen D had ten indices. Away we go to splitting scrfeen->D into 20 indices and using sections of each, and other indices for flags, then Screen->D for layers of that screen.

Item drops were also quite a bunch of fun.

I eventually dropped the idea, and decided that if the quest would ever be done, and enjoyable, it didn't need this special effect. It was meant to be a novelty to fit in with the parody theme, and I could have done that with overtones of scrolling. The biggest visual issue in ZC, is the screen size, because the passive subscreen eats up 56 pixels of vertical space. Otherwise, the screen dimensions would be no different than Z3. 

• Anthus likes this

#12 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

In my case, the combos on screens were drawn as normal. Flags could also be drawn but things like screen secrets would be a pain to make work (and would not be able to be set up like normal, as far as I know); likewise with enemies, there isn't a way to read the exact enemies on a screen without being on it.
All of this is assuming that the engine is in ZC 2.5.2 (or 2.5.1, or 2.5.0); I'ven't a clue if anything I've mentioned here has been made easier or harder in the most recent version(s?).

#13 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

do you think the devs might make Z3 scrolling something you can do without scripting in a later version?

like, version 2.something?

If that happens, then here is how happy i think a lot of people would be:

:D :D :D :D :D :D  :omg:

#14 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

do you think the devs might make Z3 scrolling something you can do without scripting in a later version?

like, version 2.something?

If that happens, then here is how happy i think a lot of people would be:

:D :D :D :D :D :D  :omg:

Yeah... Probably not happening. That would require a complete rewrite of ZC, something that would be a complete pain for little gain, and by that point, it may just be better to learn how to romhack Link to the Past.

• Zagut likes this

#15 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

I messed with Z3 scrolling one afternoon many moons ago when I was contemplating a Smash TV'ish quest. Proof of concept; https://www.youtube....h?v=hL7BBtLcVFY

The verdict:
-Rooms have to be small (2x2) unless you script the enemies.
-Scrolling screens are probably best reserved for boss fights, or areas with no enemies.
-You have to script a lot of boilerplate for basic things ZC already does for you.
-Kind of a pain to do (and use).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users