A Few Scripting Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaX

OmegaX

Leader of Omega GamingHunters101

• Members

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

I making a quest that use scripting and i have a few idea but i just don't know if they are possible

Question 1. is it possible to play a sound clip over a Enhanced music????? :shrug:  (Basically is it possible to script Voice Acting in ZC) 

Question 2. is it possible to (how do i put this into words) Say if you download a quest that comes with a folder full of animated pictures and the script in the quest calls each image one by one for cut-scenes (So basically anime-like cut-scenes and openings like in one piece, just an example).

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

The first is sort of possible. There's a few details that could get in the way.

• If your voiceacting is done via SFX, it will greatly increase the quest's filesize, most likely making it too big to put on the PureZC database
  • You can overlay voiceacting over your enhanced music tracks, but this would make syncing it up with message strings a challenge and be all around a lot of work. Not to mention large downloads for enhanced music packs

The second is just not possible. Assuming it's running at 60 frames per second, A quest could hold about 4 seconds of cutscene before running out of tile space. This is including the space that's normally filled by the quest's graphics. You could reduce the framerate and recycle some frames, but never to the point where you can do something satisfying. It's far better to handle your cutscenes by moving smaller sprites around.

#3 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Can voice acting be possible to script without using SFX?

Edited by MegaX, 23 May 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Not with a script, but as I was saying, you could actually embed the voiceacted parts into your enhanced music with a program like audacity. Then you'd just time it to line up with whatever's happening in ZQuest using times warps I'd assume. Aside from that, it's not something that scripting can do. Enhanced music is as far as I can think of the only way that ZScript can reference external files.

#5 OmegaX

OmegaX

• Members

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

Not with a script, but as I was saying, you could actually embed the voiceacted parts into your enhanced music with a program like audacity

Well it sinks that i can't script voice acting but embedding voice-acting in enhanced music is something i can do.

The second is just not possible. Assuming it's running at 60 frames per second, A quest could hold about 4 seconds of cutscene before running out of tile space. This is including the space that's normally filled by the quest's graphics. You could reduce the framerate and recycle some frames, but never to the point where you can do something satisfying. It's far better to handle your cutscenes by moving smaller sprites around.

Really? ...Oh well, i can do without it anyways (At least i know now)

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

I making a quest that use scripting and i have a few idea but i just don't know if they are possible

Question 1. is it possible to play a sound clip over a Enhanced music????? :shrug:  (Basically is it possible to script Voice Acting in ZC) 

Question 2. is it possible to (how do i put this into words) Say if you download a quest that comes with a folder full of animated pictures and the script in the quest calls each image one by one for cut-scenes (So basically anime-like cut-scenes and openings like in one piece, just an example).

1. Yes, you can do this. Make them WAVs, store them as sound effects, and call Game->PlaySound. I might add more support for this when I revamp audio.

2. No, not in 2.50.x. I did begin adding LoadBitmap(int target, int filename[], int format) and SaveBitmap(int source, int filename[], int format) to 2.future. I do not know if there will be any objection to making these part of ZC canonical, but the idea is to allow loading external images possible.

Animating loaded still images would then be possible, but the intent of this is more oriented toward showing static images, such as character portraits, or area views/maps, using external PNG or BMP files.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 23 May 2017 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users