• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hey, everyone. As I'm sure many of you have noticed, PureZC has been down for the majority of the past three days. We wanted to share some information about why that was happening. While many of you already know what the issue was, we wanted to make an announcement to make sure everyone is up to date on all of this and also to clear up any possible misconceptions.

PureZC's host (NOT PureZC itself), called Linode, has been hit continuously with DDoS attacks since Christmas. These attacks were mostly focused on Linode's data center at Atlanta, which is where PureZC is hosted. Because of this, PureZC has been down for a pretty long period of time during which Linode has been attempting to mitigate the DDoS attacks. It seems like they are, for now, successful in their mitigation. However, while PureZC is currently working, keep in mind that issues may persist while Linode attempts to completely recover from the attacks.

Thanks, and Happy New Year! :)

• Neppy, Nathaniel, Koh and 11 others like this

#2 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

Yeesh hopefully things will get back to normal around here fast!  >.<;

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Several events and things were scheduled to start near the beginning of the month, such as Map of the Year, Superlatives, On the Green, and ZoriaRPG's quest contest. Some stuff related to these things may be delayed for a few days, but they haven't been forgotten. Please be patient in giving everyone some time to put those things together. :)

• David likes this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

Hey everyone. Sorry to be the bear of bad news (that's normally Moosh's job), but we just got an update from Linode a few moments ago. More DDoS attacks are underway, targeting Linode's DNS services this time. As such, PureZC might go down again today. Additionally, those who haven't yet loaded PureZC since the last attacks may find themselves unable to do so now, so if you have any friends who inexplicably can't load the site, please let them know. Sorry for the continued inconveniences.
  • KingPridenia likes this

#5 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Egh....do these DDOSers have anything better to do with their lives then invade and destroy servers?  x.x;;

#6 Joki

Joki

Adept

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hey everyone. Sorry to be the bear of bad news (that's normally Moosh's job), but we just got an update from Linode a few moments ago. More DDoS attacks are underway, targeting Linode's DNS services this time. As such, PureZC might go down again today. Additionally, those who haven't yet loaded PureZC since the last attacks may find themselves unable to do so now, so if you have any friends who inexplicably can't load the site, please let them know. Sorry for the continued inconveniences.

Scumbags! Linode isn't the bank of England you know! What could they possibly gain from doing this?

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

Egh....do these DDOSers have anything better to do with their lives then invade and destroy servers?  x.x;;

Well, a lot of these types of attacks are basically ran as a business model.  They find hosts or big sites, hit them with a DDoS saying "Hey, if you don't pay X amount of dollars, we'll keep this up until you're ran out of business."  Of course, Linode and other companies could do that, and depending on the circumstances may even think about it, but if they were to try, they would be reinforcing the behavior.  It's sort of why I'd be hesitant to leave Linode - it would basically be having the attackers win in a sense.  Of course, if this sort of thing keeps up and Linode doesn't fix their infrastructure to help prevent it, then we've gotta do what we've gotta do. :shrug:

But, yeah.  These are basically just jerks trying to make a buck. :-/

• Nathaniel, Omega, TK8305 and 1 other like this

#8 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

Well glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. 

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

I've been keeping up with Linode's migration reports, and while it sems promising, it's not ideal. Primarily, it may prevent people in Eastern Europe, including several regulars, from connecting to PZC. They also do not mention if they will be blocking, or not blockingJapan, and Australia.

IThey pretty much are blocking al inbound requests not from Western Europe, and North America. That was their solution, rather than targeting known attacker IP ranges. The latter requires more work.

To be honest, PZC would be better off being on a much smaller host. :shrug:

Insofar as the winter contest, I'm going to push the deadline forward by however many days the downtime ultimately lasts, so that participants who need access to resources on PZC aren't unfairly affected.

#10 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

The regional inbound request blocking was one of their previous temporary solutions to solving the issue until they could provide a more permanent solution, but that failed within 2 hours of implementing it. I don't know if they still have that measure up or not since they went a different route afterwards that took them over 12 hours to implement. :shrug:

Edited by Nick, 03 January 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#11 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

It really is a shame that a few idiots can bring an entire service to its knees. It's always around this time of the year that DDoS'ers are on a rampage, knocking off websites and MMOs alike. Probably what is more a shame is that with DDoS'ing as widespread of an issue that it is, there still isn't any viable long-term solution to it other than making the infrastructure stronger, which is then just swiftly taken down again by those scumbags. I'm just glad that I even got onto the site period; the past couple days I got on ONE TIME since the New Year. Hoping for the best and that this site remains up.

• Dark Ice Dragon and Logos like this

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:10 AM

Australia here, proving we can access the forum!

• Astromeow likes this

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

Good to know hackers weren't targeting PZC directly. 

#14 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

It really is a shame that a few idiots can bring an entire service to its knees. It's always around this time of the year that DDoS'ers are on a rampage, knocking off websites and MMOs alike. Probably what is more a shame is that with DDoS'ing as widespread of an issue that it is, there still isn't any viable long-term solution to it other than making the infrastructure stronger, which is then just swiftly taken down again by those scumbags. I'm just glad that I even got onto the site period; the past couple days I got on ONE TIME since the New Year. Hoping for the best and that this site remains up.

I would like to know who pays them and how much , I refuse to believe that it's just for bother

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users