Losing all progress

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hello everyone my name is Unpost, but you can call me UP for short.

I've been having a problem. Whenever I load a game and play it like for a few hours and I get off and log off. My progress is all gone. ZC.SAV keeps on crashing or something is wrong. This has been happening for like 3 days now. I did a test, I made a new game with a random quest, played it for 5 minutes and saved it and press quit, waited 45 seconds. I get back on and my ZC.SAV is deleting my progress. I got pissed from it because I was playing "Hero Of Dreams" which I was playing for 3 weeks. Then it zc.sav file ruins it for me :( . Is there something I'm doing wrong or am I forgetting something to do? I just want this to be fixed and cleared.

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

That sucks :(

What version of ZC do you use? I'm thinking it is probably 2.50. I remember that version having save file issues. In that case, switch to the newest stable one: http://www.zeldaclassic.com/downloads/ which is 2.50.2.

Edited by Avataro, 20 January 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#3 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

That sucks :(

What version of ZC do you use? I'm thinking it is probably 2.50. I remember that version having save file issues. In that case, switch to the newest stable one: http://www.zeldaclassic.com/downloads/ which is 2.50.2.

Basically I forgot to update it? 

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Basically I forgot to update it? 

Correct. You want to be running 2.50.2, for now. When 2.50.3, or any other newer version is available, you want to update. :)

If you are on WIndows 8 or 10, or otherwise have fullscreen issues, and desire running ZC fullscreen, we have a build of 2.50.3 that works far better now, and we could use some people willing to try playing quests in it, and report any problems.

Fullscreen problems may be a thing of the past.

#5 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Correct. You want to be running 2.50.2, for now. When 2.50.3, or any other newer version is available, you want to update. :)

If you are on WIndows 8 or 10, or otherwise have fullscreen issues, and desire running ZC fullscreen, we have a build of 2.50.3 that works far better now, and we could use some people willing to try playing quests in it, and report any problems.

Fullscreen problems may be a thing of the past.

I updated it an hour ago and my zc.sav file isn't ruining my life no more. :)

• ShadowTiger likes this

#6 centraltree

centraltree

green

• Members

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

im having a similar .sav problem and just lost quite a bit of time on panoply. also having the full screen issue. i was using 2.50.2, where can i find 2.50.3? and is there anything that can be done besides restoring a previous version of the .sav file. mine is 10 days ago so 10 days will be lost. thankfully for me ten days isnt that many hours but a headache none the less. thanks for any help.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:52 AM

2.5.3 can be found here. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the only thing you can do is restore an old save backup, so those few hours are lost forever. Sorry. :(

Also I'm just gonna go ahead and move this to General ZC Discussion, since this forum's technically for assistance with the site itself, and it'll probably get more visibility over there.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Back when 2.50.0 came out, I did a copy/paste of the zc.sav file every thirty minutes, to one hour of gameplay. That way, if ZC ate it, I had a backup copy to fall back upon. Deleting zc.sav, and renaming a backup to zc.sav, did work, and I advise most people to make a backup of the zc.sav file at the end of every session, as a precaution against this ever happening to you, for any reason.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 21 January 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#9 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

Has this .sav bug been definitively resolved in 2.50.3? If not, what is known about the cause?

Back in the day the cause of the problem used to be multiple instances of ZC running at once. But now there's a popup dialog warning about this...

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

Has this .sav bug been definitively resolved in 2.50.3? If not, what is known about the cause?

Back in the day the cause of the problem used to be multiple instances of ZC running at once. But now there's a popup dialog warning about this...

The resolution was a hack, that prevented opening multiple instances of ZC simultaneously, by default. That is a flag that the user can disable, and in so doing, is prompted with a warning whenever executing a new instance of ZC, with one already running. (Preserving this was important for quest development.)

Nothing has otherwise truly changed. Saffith, or Gleeok tried to make the packfile thread-safe, and I think that failed. ( ? )

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 24 January 2017 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users