Zelda Classic on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

Has anyone tried running Zelda Classic on the Windows 10 Preview? The Windows 10 upgrade will be rolling out very soon. I'm a little concerned if ZC will still run once this upgrade is complete.

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this. :P 

This is an interesting question, because Microsoft is encouraging as many people as possible to be using Windows 10, so much so that they are willing to provide Windows 10 free to anybody who currently has Windows 7 or Windows 8. 

#3 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

Can I ask why you're worried? I haven't used the preview yet and I don't know what to expect of 10.

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

I guess what the concern is. Will ZC be compatible with Windows 10.

If you don't know what to expect from Windows 10, I'd look it up if I were you. Microsoft is planning on Windows 10 being the update to pretty much replace Windows 7 and Windows 8. Which means most people will be upgrading, unless they refuse to upgrade.

This will be quite a few people who will not be able to use Zelda Classic if it isn't compatible. 

#5 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

The reason I use Windows 7 is because it's more reliable for my purposes, 8 was bad for me, don't know about 10 but I'd wait first.

Intial releases are always horrible and bug ridden. At least from Microsoft, all those damn updates.

I will only upgrade if it doesn't kill my computer, plus it's a quad core. That's saying something.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 01 June 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#6 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

ZC ran like it did with windows 8. Ran fine in windowed mode but full screen mode went retarded by going full strobe light mode. I was using windows 10 preview for awhile and I liked it a bunch but I missed when some of emulators would run halfway decent. So I went to windows 7 again.

• nicklegends likes this

#7 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

I guess what the concern is. Will ZC be compatible with Windows 10.

If you don't know what to expect from Windows 10, I'd look it up if I were you. Microsoft is planning on Windows 10 being the update to pretty much replace Windows 7 and Windows 8. Which means most people will be upgrading, unless they refuse to upgrade.

This will be quite a few people who will not be able to use Zelda Classic if it isn't compatible. 

I'm aware of this much, but is there anything giving any indication that ZC won't be compatible? It works with 8 and it looks like Ventus got it work with 10 as well.

#8 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this. :P

This is an interesting question, because Microsoft is encouraging as many people as possible to be using Windows 10, so much so that they are willing to provide Windows 10 free to anybody who currently has Windows 7 or Windows 8. 

Their forcefulness on the issue of providing Windows 10 for free left me skeptical.

Even if I won't be using it, it'd be sad if ZC didn't work on it.

#9 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

The guys at Microsoft just forgot the basics of development. Software evolves, not turned on it's head.

It's somewhat of a good move, if it's actually good, the copies sold will be in the millions.

Edit: I think it's a good move because people who know what they're doing can "figure it out". I guess they're trying to get free advertising or something.

Edit2: It should come with a comprehensive user friendly tutorial though

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 01 June 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#10 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

I know dont know how Zelda Classic would be on Windows 10.

Edited by ZeldaPlayer, 01 June 2015 - 02:23 PM.

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#11 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, another thing, Microsoft says that you need advanced hardware for some features. What is advanced to them?

I'm suprised ZC even runs in windows 7

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

Their forcefulness on the issue of providing Windows 10 for free left me skeptical.

Since when has offering something for free been considered "forceful"?

Either way, it's okay to be skeptical.

#13 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:30 AM

Since when has offering something for free been considered "forceful"?

Either way, it's okay to be skeptical.

I've seen an aggressive media campaign behind it recently, that's all I meant by that.

#14 YoursTruly

YoursTruly

Yours_Truly

• Members

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

I'm using windows 10 and ZC just gets messed up everytime I play it.

#15 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

ZC ran like it did with windows 8. Ran fine in windowed mode but full screen mode went retarded by going full strobe light mode. I was using windows 10 preview for awhile and I liked it a bunch but I missed when some of emulators would run halfway decent. So I went to windows 7 again.

It still does the strobe lighting thing, this behaviour hasn't changed with the final version of Windows 10. has anyone found a work around that didn't involve using Windowed Mode?

Edit: Guess I'll give these a shot: http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html or http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

edit 2: Neither of those worked. The former doesn't resolve the issue and the latter causes Zelda Classic to fail to set any display mode.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 17 August 2015 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users