Photo

America's Weight Problem?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

veganism can cure/prevent a majority of health problems. you don't see many stroked-out, obese vegans with cancer and other constant crises, but a trip to your local mall will provide evidence of the lack of health inherent in another lifestyle. I suggest ignoring the lies of the dairy industry and starting a garden.

#17 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

I honestly don't have much I can say about this. I kind of have the exact opposite problem: it's almost impossible for me to gain weight. icon_shrug.gif Seriously, I'm sitting at just under 130 pounds right now. It's ridiculous. It doesn't even matter what I eat, from what I've found; I get basically nothing out of it anyway. And it's not from undereating or anything. Hell, my appetite is average to above average, which is why it's so damn frustrating.

#18 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

It's all to do with metabolism. Some people use way more energy than they can consume (this is you), and others use barely any at all.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 12 July 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#19 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

I spend way more time than I ought to sitting on my ass, and somehow have managed to not become fat. The best explanation I can come up with is that:
  • I try not to bring food into my room.
  • I almost never drink soda.
But I dunno, maybe I just have a fast metabolism?

#20 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(Zenith @ Jul 12 2011, 03:15 PM) View Post

I honestly don't have much I can say about this. I kind of have the exact opposite problem: it's almost impossible for me to gain weight. icon_shrug.gif Seriously, I'm sitting at just under 130 pounds right now. It's ridiculous. It doesn't even matter what I eat, from what I've found; I get basically nothing out of it anyway. And it's not from undereating or anything. Hell, my appetite is average to above average, which is why it's so damn frustrating.

Same here, exactly. I eat like a horse and I still weight like 110 pounds. And I'm 5'8.

#21 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

I envy you.
I'm 6'6" and weigh about 310. Rail-thin, I weighed about 250.
It seems like I can eat a candy bar and the next morning, there will be a candy bar-sized bulge somewhere on me. >_>

#22 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Apart from junk food and lack of exercise, they say that GM foods are less nutritious than organic foods,
(trying to produce more food from the same amount of land) so that the nutrients are diluted, causing
people to still feel hungry after they've already eaten a good amount of food, and hence, to overeat.
Sucks if it's true.

#23 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

I'm 5'8'' and about 150 lbs. I think I was just a little more than Lynker's weight when I was in high school. My metabolism has been fast most of my life, but I realize it is finally starting to slow down. Technically I am not considered overweight, but I know I am in the upper half of the normal range, and I do recognize the gut on me. I can eat pretty healthy on most days, but I occasionally have a craving here and there. I exercise, but should probably exercise more.

#24 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm 6'0" tall, and just over 120 pounds. This puts me in an extremely skinny weight class, and I've been trying to gain pounds for years. Unfortunately, it seems I'm not going to get any heavier. I've weighed the same for a couple of years, and I don't exercise regularly. However, I do eat a ton. icon_shrug.gif

#25 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

heck i have the opposite problem can't loss the weight
i'm 6'0'' tall and i'm taking a guess that i'm about 350 pounds
you can tell i enjoy my food lol
right know as i type i'm eating a bowl of chips with dip lol

#26 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Jul 11 2011, 09:58 PM) View Post

veganism can cure/prevent a majority of health problems. you don't see many stroked-out, obese vegans with cancer and other constant crises, but a trip to your local mall will provide evidence of the lack of health inherent in another lifestyle. I suggest ignoring the lies of the dairy industry and starting a garden.

Most epic line ever! Two thumbs way up.

I've been eating with vegetarian eating habits for about two months (that was spring 2011), maybe a little more. However, I'm trying to build up some muscles/mass for the past however-much months. Now, vegetarianism (and much more so veganism) sort of supports amyotrophia, that's why I started eating meat again. I didn't get into any weight problems and I didn't even loose much weight those months, but I know that I lacked what it takes to build muscles. So out of pretty stupid, ignorant and selfish reasons, I changed my eating habits back. Though I eat much healthier nowadays.
What I'm trying to get at, is that if you really just do it, there's no problems at all with stopping to eat meat. I enjoy the taste of it, sure, but I know first person that I can live without it just well.
All you veggis out there: you have my greatest respect and support!

About the weight-thing. I used to have slightly too much on my hips when I was younger, but nowadays I probably qualify as slim. I'm still not happy with it all the way, as I could use a little more strentgh, but I'm working on it. My lifestyle isn't half as healthy as I wish it was, either. I like to blame it on my mothers food-shopping habits but that's a lazy excuse. Hm.

#27 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

I am no vegetarian or vegan, but I know that one great non-meat source of both protein and iron is the southwestern bean salad. I bought a can of it yesterday. In one serviing, this has 5 grams of protein and 70% of the daily value of iron. Serving size is half a cup or 125 grams. Contains black beans, corn, kidney beans, and onions as the major ingredients. So if anybody goes the vegetarian or vegan route, it is important to find other sources of protein and iron outside of meats, which can be found in various kinds of beans. Garbanzo beans are another good source of these nutrients, and go well in soups and salads.

#28 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

No offense, but I'm not falling into the vegan/vegetarian scheme. Frankly, anyone who's pushing it THIS much is reminding me of Scott Pilgrim, when Envy says, "Basically, being vegan makes you better than most people." I've been eating meat my entire life. I enjoy such luxuries such as bacon and mayonnaise; and I have a sugar addiction. I'm also 5'6" and only 120 pounds (this could be underweight and regardless, I'm trying to gain some healthy weight from time to time). I also don't eat bacon for every meal either; I don't engorge myself on an entire bag of chips and then some brownies. I walk (soon to be biking) to most places I go (work, the bank, the bookstore, grocery store; I mean, do you think I really spend 24/7 in front of this computer?) and walk right back home. I'll tend to reach for a bag of carrots before I reach a bag of chips most days (more or less because the latter bothers my gums and I don't get tired of the taste of vegetables as often). You don't have to be a vegan to be healthy, no matter how much you don't believe me. I rarely ever get sick or have any physical problems.

starting a garden.

I do like the idea of a garden. My grandmother has a very nice garden that is basically her entire backyard. Sure, she has to keep the rabbits and deer away, but it's worth it when we visit in the summer. Plus, gardens are manly. And it would probably help once my metabolism starts to slow down.

Something I think is another problem is somewhat related to the whole issue of it all... people who think they are fat. I think because 33% of our nation (okay somewhere around that range) are overweight, some people might think they're in that spectrum, when in fact they might just be average weight, and that might not be good enough for them when they're next to people who are underweight. If you think about it, being either overweight or underweight, they're both problems in our nation right now. Because it shouldn't be about how good you look, if 'slim' is what's in. It should be about being healthy itself.

#29 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

protein deficiencies and muscle-building myths are obstacles to understanding. iron, B vitamins and fatty acids are more likely issues for careless animal-avoiders and after over a decade of strict veganism and a lifetime at 125, I gained about twenty-five pounds this year through increased "rigorous loving" and a reduction in the terrible heroin+couch=atrophy lifestyle choices that were holding my health back too much. I'm tossing in a pitch for Vega brand vitamin shakes ( http://myvega.com ) -- these powders have more nutritionally complete meals in them than all of the restaurants on Earth combined. I really don't expect people to be won over, but I do feel that my liabilities are offset through fact-giving. I guess that being somebody who is proud to have finally gained weight my be holding me back from reaching the populations at question in this thread, but please do know that butter, milk, lard, flesh and grease do not a balanced/healthy diet make.

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

No offense, but I'm not falling into the vegan/vegetarian scheme. Frankly, anyone who's pushing it THIS much is reminding me of Scott Pilgrim, when Envy says, "Basically, being vegan makes you better than most people."
I'm not exactly sure what you are aiming at, but I think it's sort of an unfair statement to imply that vegan or vegetarian eating habits are a lifestyle aiming at beeing percieved "better than most people".
Because that's (usually) not the intention for a person to decide not to eat meat. Much more important it is (usually) that the conditions under which animals are held are terrible to say the least and the whole industry is rather cruel, as is the act of killing another feeling and thinking creature simply for the luxury (like you termed it) of eating it.
It's hard to find a moral excuse for such actions. With ratio it's a little easier, as for example my "amyotrophia-argument" is an excuse for eating meat eventhough I know of the horror those creates have to endure. As Nathaniel and trudatman rightfully state there's other sources for proteins and iron than meat. I'm clinging to the fact that meat provides lots of creatine that supports the building of muscles, which those alternatives for proteins and iron don't.
I'm tossing in a pitch for Vega brand vitamin shakes ( http://myvega.com ) -- these powders have more nutritionally complete meals in them than all of the restaurants on Earth combined.
I have a problem with this. I don't think the human is ment to eat powders and vitamin shakes to be healthy. And if those powders and shakes become the only mean to live a healthy lifestlye than I feel there's something fundamentally wrong. Maybe with out food industry, maybe with our eating habits, maybe with the whole thing.

Anyways, another argument to think about seems to be the emotional side of it. I fully understand how cruel and thusly wrong the meat-industry (and the act of killing for food itself) is, but it - and this shocked me when I realized it - doesn't seriously touches me emotionally. I know that it's bad, but I don't feel bad about it. It's a bit like reading about an airplane-accident with hundrets of dead people. I know it's terrible, but it doesn't move me because I have no emotional bond with those people.
I don't know what that means for my personality, but it's just the way it is. I feel I better accepting it and acting upon it rather than denying it and still act upon it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users