The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#601 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

The guy I know who bragged with his exta-switches ordered a few NES-Classic Mini, including one for my sister. The only one that came was the one for my sister (delivered to her adress) and he had to buy it overprized on ebay since there were no left in stock and he just had to have one for his collection ;)

Though my sister is now a bit pissed, her boyfriend said they will play with it anyway and unpacked it and my sister would have preferred to sell it in case she can make money with it. It is often a bit shocking for us to see how "poor" our family actually is, we always think we have quite a lot of luxury since our father has enough money left to help us out with rent and college-expenses (mostly because of us never going on family vocation and other costly things), but then the people around us just get themself expensive things casually all the time because they get more extra-money from home than us and even see it as granted while we feel always guilty about being dependend on our father's money.

#602 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

Hearing rumors about a smaller, more affordable "Switch Mini", I'd totally go for that

VNAUS7z.png

#603 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

I'm trying to imagine how that would feel in my hand, and it looks like it would be too small. Even the 3DS XL makes my thumbs hurt after a while, but the Wii U and original 3DS do not, so I dunno.

#604 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

I'm also not sure how it would fit in the dock at that much smaller. In fact, I'm sure it wouldn't. However, a "Switch Mini" wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

#605 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Is it rumors, or is it speculation?

#606 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

Honestly, I might go for a Switch Mini. Maybe. A lot of my complaints with the regular Switch (too large to be portable, too much money for a portable system) would be solved by it. I guess it'd just depend on how it felt in my hands (I've tried out the Switch and am really not a fan of the JoyCons, which just feel awkward to hold and use to me).

#607 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

One of the advantages of the hybrid design is that they have a lot of options available for future system revisions. A dedicated Switch: Home and Switch: Portable would both work really well and can happen whenever they decide it's time to fill that niche.

Though it does contradict the core appeal of the hardware, so I imagine we won't be seeing either one for a while.

#608 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

I would think it was a rumor for now, being that the system is only a month and a half old, and Nintendo doesn't normally do hardware revisions that early in the system's lifespan.

Edited by thepsynergist, 17 April 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#609 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:14 AM

I would think it was a rumor for now, being that the system is only a month and a half old, and Nintendo doesn't normally do hardware revisions that early in the system's lifespan.

It's very possible it's true as it does seem like something Nintendo would come up with, similar to the 2DS simply being a more budget friendly variation. That being said it looks like a great concept though it's unlikely I would get a Switch Mini as I'm satisfied with what I have and I'm fond of the large screen in it.

#610 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:16 AM

So they revealed more information on the paid online subscription service: http://www.nintendo....online-service/

The few highlights:

- Delayed to 2018 instead of this fall.

- $20 a year. Nice low price, almost makes up for the fact that these services shouldn't exist.

- The "downloadable classic title for a month" thing has expanded, and apparently there's a selection of classic games with their new online play that you can always access and never goes away. You seemingly get these games for free if you have a subscription.

It's cool to see them tweaking a bit, but again I'm just... argh. I'll probably pay for it anyway, especially since it's a nice low price, but I just hate that it exists at all. We'll see how it goes; seems the Switch's online multiplayer functionality is stronger than past systems, but I'm not entirely sure on that. I'm really just basing that on the fact that I haven't heard anyone raging over how bad Mario Kart 8's servers are or anything. Plus I'm sure it's easier to keep up with online servers when all you have at the moment is Mario Kart... and Arms and Splatoon in development I guess.

Really I'm just curious about Virtual Console. I don't imagine it'd be locked behind the paywall but it's a feature that needs to be here, and fast.

#611 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

I assume $20 USD and that it will probably end up being $50 AUD.

#612 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

Do you think that the modern accessibility/convenience of things like mobile gaming, short attention spans, multi-tasking, growing up with the internet, etc. has made the newer generation not want to sit down in front of a TV with a console? Maybe the biggest advantage of the Switch for those people is the phone-like mobility and ease of pause/sleep modes to allow very short gaming sessions between other activities/while on the go. When the Switch came out a good number wanted a more powerful TV console, but maybe they are a dying generation and the younger gamers don't find that stationary home console experience appealing? What do you think?

• Avaro likes this

#613 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

The same could be said for adults who don't have time to sit in front of a TV to game, and would rather play games in short bursts, like before bed, or during breaks.

• Daniel and Cukeman like this

#614 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:14 AM

Do you think that the modern accessibility/convenience of things like mobile gaming, short attention spans, multi-tasking, growing up with the internet, etc. has made the newer generation not want to sit down in front of a TV with a console? Maybe the biggest advantage of the Switch for those people is the phone-like mobility and ease of pause/sleep modes to allow very short gaming sessions between other activities/while on the go. When the Switch came out a good number wanted a more powerful TV console, but maybe they are a dying generation and the younger gamers don't find that stationary home console experience appealing? What do you think?

Why else would the DS, 3DS and New 3DS be so fricken popular?

#615 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:24 AM

I think the transition has been gradual, but I'm also wondering if it's reached a point of no return now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users