Prokaryote

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Friendship is 5ever

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

Prokaryote will be the prototype version of Magidien with the classic tileset. It's mainly going made for getting playable demos out a lot quicker and public opinion.

Features:

-Perspective is top-down rpg and not Zelda. This allows more moving space in interiors.

-No story

-The dungeons will be test versions of Magidien dungeons, almost indentical or the same as them. However, the overworld will not be the same as Magidien's.

-All dungeons are connected to each other, like the areas in Metroid or Castlevania. Most of the dungeon entrances can be accessed from the overworld, but some can only be accessed through other dungeons.

-There are 20 dungeons.

-What you do in one dungeon can affect the other. Ex: Flipping a crystal switch in dungeon A will cause blocks to lower in it and blocks to rise in dungeon B.

-Striving for mostly completely custom graphics other than the default classic ones.

-The dual swords system from Magidien is in this

- Lots of scripts, of course

-Look forward a first demo at least in fall
--------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing on the graphics, here are two versions of the temple, the second is to be used.

IPB Image
On this I was aiming for a roof like on the Dome of the Rock Mosque. It's basically a giant disco ball. The texture did not work out so well.

IPB Image
This design was much more elegant.

CastChaos, I was aiming to remake the structure in the upper right corner, but I twisted it into my own design and it worked much better.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 27 June 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#2 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

Very nice, love the title, very creative for what the project is about. Once again all the graphics are splendidly done for it's style and all the features sound amazing. Seriously, looking forward to updates on this once, just like I did with Magidien.

#3 Strato

Strato

"WE'LL SHOW HIM!"

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

The perspectives on the tops of the buildings are a little... odd.

But, actually, looking at it, the perspectives do match, I just have a problem with the needles on the top... the look like they could be tilted forward a bit. But maybe that would knock it out of perspective. You should try it, see if it looks better, if it doesn't, then... change it back.

But, these perception problems are probably just caused by it being RPG perspective which is a bit wonky anyway, in my opinion.

#4 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Friendship is 5ever

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

I based my perspective off the top of these domes from Romancing Saga:

http://www.spriters-...le=rashkuta.png

The spikes go right at the top.

IPB Image

It looks weird.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 11 June 2008 - 10:23 PM.

#5 Strato

Strato

"WE'LL SHOW HIM!"

• Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

But, even those look more tilted forward. You see, the perspective "circles" on the dome parts are so much more circular than your domes, yours are very much more oval-like, or as I perceive currently. I'll have to take a closer look to make an accurate judgment on that matter.

EDIT: My rough highlights of the perspective circles, see how theirs is a bit rounder? Not by much, it seems. Granted, around the back, the circles seem to change a bit by curving in on the SR domes.

IPB Image

I guess it wasn't the needles after all.

EDIT #2: To your edit, I think that looks better, honestly.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:44 AM

I like that monumentalized Classic building. And I like it with longer looking needle (the original). So this quest will be full of 3D Classic tiles? Very nice.

The features promise much good. icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe)

CastChaos, I was aiming to remake the structure in the upper right corner, but I twisted it into my own design and it worked much better.

Ah, I see, nice. icon_thumbsup.gif

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrator

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Sounds very neat. But why is it called Prokaryote? That's just a cell without a nucleus.

#8 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

It's also a cell that's more simple than a Eucaryote...so what's a more simple version of Magidien? Oh right, a prototype of Magidien using the classic set. Really not that hard if you think about it...

#9 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Friendship is 5ever

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

Just to show I've done something.. the basic texture of the mountains. There will be a lot more variating tiles when they are done. It'll look better when you see the whole thing.

IPB Image

Also, I will be working under nes restrictions with nes colors instead of just classic.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 23 June 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#10 Pregnant_Cow

Pregnant_Cow

Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

i like the mountains, but i dont see how you are going to incorporate them to fit with tiling very good right now. but thats just me. i am still confused about the color part of it, are the buildings going to be colored similarly?

#11 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Friendship is 5ever

• Members

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

They are going to be tiled like the mountains in this:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Quite amazing for a GBC game.

By the colors, it means I am going to follow the nes restrictions of 4 background palletes with four colors. Also, the tiles will only be 4 colors including transparency. However, I am probably not totally abide by them.

#12 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

Ah, so realistic mountain with NES colours... quite matches the detailed NES house that you showed. icon_thumbsup.gif

#13 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Friendship is 5ever

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

IPB Image

I decided to tone down the highlights and neutralize the colors. The old ones were causing color scheme issues and actually looked really ugly next to the next of my tiles.

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

The old one used the usual LoZ first palette colours and the new one has real rock colours. That's probably because you said you use NES limitations instead of LoZ ones. Looks very good.

#15 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Friendship is 5ever

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

IPB Image

I made a tileable rock wall, but I'm not going to use them due to the "I wouldn't know if they rocks unless I was told they were rocks" effect. So I'm back to the beginning of making overworld tiles, but at least they keep getting less uglier.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 27 June 2008 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users