Mario Kart Mario Kart 8 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

The only thing I want from this game, is the ability to play local multiplayer at 60FPS. It seems, however, that their focusing on increasing the resolution instead of fixing the performance issues so I'm not that excited about this :/

(Play with up to 4 players locally at 1920x1080p! Yaaaawn, boring, why play a very sluggish stutter fest? C'mon, I can't be the only person to notice in the original game that with just a 2nd player the frame rate halves and the controls become severely sluggish compared to single player?)

Feel free to discuss whatever you want about this game.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 13 January 2017 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Welcome to the future, where everything is slower than the same thing made in 1990. What could possibly go wrong with using Unity to make large games?

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

The annoying thing is that the controller lag when playing with 2 or more people locally, doesn't occur in the Wii game, or at least it doesn't when playing with 2 players (unless you play 2 player local & online).

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Small things I've noted are that you can apparently use two items again (good) and that, more importantly, BATTLE MODE IS FIXED. ACTUAL COURSES, NO MORE RECYCLING OTHER TRACKS FOR IT. But yeah, the one thing I'd like to know is if four-player local multiplayer is still a thing on one system before I start calling 8 the definitive Mario Kart game.

• Neppy likes this

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Small things I've noted are that you can apparently use two items again (good) and that, more importantly, BATTLE MODE IS FIXED. ACTUAL COURSES, NO MORE RECYCLING OTHER TRACKS FOR IT. But yeah, the one thing I'd like to know is if four-player local multiplayer is still a thing on one system before I start calling 8 the definitive Mario Kart game.

They said it is possible on the games website to have 4 player local multiplayer in full hd 1920x1080 resolution. I'm pretty sure this is also supported in the Wii U version as well.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Okay, good. Although now I'm just wondering if that means you'll need to buy two more Joy-Cons or three or four Pro Controllers or if older controllers are viable. Those controllers are bloody expensive...

#7 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Doubting it, but really hoping the characters are at least offered as DLC in the Wii U version, even if like $20 for a pack of 5 of them. I really want King Boo, Bowser Jr. and Dry Bones back, but can't really afford a Switch system and not too fond of buying ports with additional content thrown in.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

One of my biggest questions is if N64 Rainbow Road will still be a single lap split up into three segments or restored to three full laps. I get that the original was lengthy, but in the Wii U version, it was criminally short. I'd love it to return to three laps.

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Well now that this has been out about a month, some impressions:

- Purple sparks is great, especially when you learn all the curves to pull it off. The added boost you get from it can really speed up your times or save you in a race. Assuming you don't get twenty million red shells on your ass in a row.

- Revamped battle mode is so good. The different modes are fun, though I'm still not sure how I feel about traditional balloon battle now being timed and you respawn with three balloon and your points cut in half when you lose your first five balloons. The variety in battle mode is great though, more than makes up for the pitiful "battle mode" on the Wii U, though I wish Block Fort was a stage.

- Though I still stick with Baby Rosalina, I enjoy the additional character variety, that'll satisfy most of those who complained about it on Wii U.

- No way to upload highlights to YouTube or anywhere anymore. Perhaps coming in a future update? 

- Good riddance, stamps. I'm also happy that all modes and cups and characters are unlocked from the start. Still have to unlock vehicle pieces through coin collection though, and it's completely random what you get, which annoys me.

- 200cc staff ghosts?! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

- N64 Rainbow Road is still one lap. :(

- I'm using tilt controls!*

So yeah, all in all, this is probably the best Mario Kart game. Ever. I'm incredibly satisfied with the overall package and glad that they upgraded it based on concerns and complaints about the Wii U iteration. Which that version I still thought was great, but the battle mode wonkiness did hold it back a little.

*I'm not actually or ever using tilt controls, it's just still the best meme.

• Anthus likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mario Kart, Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users