Photo

Is there a worthwhile aLttP Tileset yet?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'll eventually publish some custom sword scripts for Z3 style swords, using stdWeapons, but it'll be a while.

In the interim, if you make a Z3 tileset, and prepare the sword gfx, I'll use them for the demo of the sword script, so you'll get a free Z3 sword out of it.

If you want to work on the Parallel Worlds tileset instead... hint, hint... that would be awesome.

How would sword graphics need to be ripped? HM lets you view sprites, but there is no actual "export" button, so you either have to play the ROM in real time to get the frames screenshoted, or, take screenshots of the editor and remove all extra crap.

Adding in the extra tiles from PW would be cool, but a lot of those objects use different palette structure, and are not fully compatible with original ALttP colors. 

EDIT: For the record, you if you don't already, I'd recommend getting HruleMagic, and just looking around the game. It's a neat tool. It works kind of like ZC, but it is more rigid since it is a ROM editor, and not a clone of a game. Also, tile blocks are placed as 32x32 blocks (twice ZC's tile size) so the editor has a lot more "combos" of 2x2 tile combinations. These are editable.

EDIT 2: I was looking through the original ALttP set in the database, and made some notes on proposed changes/ additions I might try to make, if I take this project. To make one thing clear, I would use Orion's as a base, and make it more usable in ZC 2.5 Here's the original documentation, which has a tile page index, and palette information. (kinda long, but the pertinent information is the tile, and palette info)

Spoiler

Here are the changes I intend to make, and stuff I'd add. I would be re-comboing some stuff, and moving tiles around/ getting rid of extra/ uneeded tiles. I would also include an unaltered version of Orion's monumental compilation for reference, and so if people want to see the changes/ maybe use something I changed or took out they can without downloading two zips.

Proposed tile page changes/ additions:

• Expand Link tiles.
  • Expand Enemy tiles (might add some ghosted enemies that are found in Z3).
  • Simplified ALttP Mountains (Light, and Dark, and maaaaaybe PW if I'm feeling hella motivated).
  • Layerable objects?
  • More Water Tiles.
  • Dynamic/ Better house exterior tiles for ZC use.
  • Simplified Tree/ Forest tiles.
  • Simplify structures if applicable.
  • Add extended floor borders.
  • Possibly set up relational borders.

Very general layout proposals:

• Group ALL structures/ entrances together
  • Group ALL Light world elements together
  • Group ALL Dark world elements together
  • Use simplified mountains/ houses/ water as default, move authentic SNES tiles to end group.

Combo/ Tile Page index:

• Link, Sprites, Subscreens, Items
  • Enemies
  • LW landscapes (Normal, Forest, Eastern Palace Area, Desert, Mountain, River)
  • LW Trees
  • LW Water
  • LW Objects
  • DW Landscapes (Normal, Skull Woods, Mountain, Dark Palace Area, Swamp Area, Misery Mire Area, Frozen Area)
  • DW Trees
  • DW Water
  • DW objects
  • House Interiors, and Objects.
  • Cave interiors, and Objects
  • Dungeon walls
  • Dungeon Doors
  • Dungeon floors
  • Dungeon objects
  • Dungeon wall decorations/ entrance ways
  • Simple Structures
  • Full Structures
  • NPCs

Other additions:

• New Z3 rules. Changes to sprites/ tiles wil reflect these. (Z3 Link animation, for example).
  • Basic pre-loaded scripts for things like signs, and NPCs.
  • Reworked 'authentic' Z3 subscreens.
  • Possibly add in ghost.zh, and some pre-loaded ALttP enemies (might ask for help with this)
  • Extra palettes. Maybe for things like snowy areas, or just variations found in other ZC sets.

This is a WIP list of stuff, and I may have forgot stuff entirely (as I did the caves, and houses when making this list). I'm basically posting this to see if people think it's solid, or have any other ideas. It would be cool to bring the AlttP set up to 2.5 standards. Most of this stuff can be found in newer sets. The biggest hurdle will be making my own simplified DW mountains visually

EDIT 5 million: I was thinking too, I will try to include the big Z3 Link tiles, but I've never ever used large Link tiles, so I might need some help setting these up (instructions, really). Large enemies will not be something I am personally doing, unfortunately. I know it would be awesome, and is probably the most wanted feature from the game besides its scrolling, but I just don't know how to set that kind of stuff up. There are also tons of ALttP rips on TSR that could be used if someone else wanted to script something like big enemies. Most people who rip sprites on there put them up with the intent of people using them for fangames, just make sure you credit those guys ;)

• ShadowTiger, 4matsy, Sheik and 3 others like this

#17 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

You know, we do have the AutoBigEnemy script in the database. I don't see the need to shrink down the enemy graphics if you can just put together the full-size ones. And don't tell me that it makes all of the characters too large for the screen size, ZC is only one row and one column smaller than Minish Cap, and it worked just fine, even in smaller areas without scrolling.

but the thing about hit boxes? or does big enemy script make up for that. or what ever hitbox is

#18 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

but the thing about hit boxes? or does big enemy script make up for that. or what ever hitbox is

Yeah the big enemy script also adjusts the hitbox.

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Does auto big enemy work with ghost.zh, or is it a separate entity?

#20 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

I've been holding onto a proposed 2.50 edition of Orion's LttP tileset for the last ten years, but everyone keeps forgetting about it shortly after I post it for download.
The major problem with Orion's set is I don't think it can be saved. Many of the graphics were ripped using old tools that corrupted them by removing various pixels and palette entries. Also, the palettes themselves are all wrong; they're arranged in a wasteful manner and were altered by old graphics programs that liked to crush hue, saturation and value. This was never fixed because at the time, Orion had a dodgy CRT computer monitor.

Anthus, what you're proposing has been generally accomplished already by the original Dance of Remembrance tileset by Radien. The major missing ingredient from DoR apart from a few tiles here and there is authentic-looking palettes with a better range of colors, which is something I've been working on in my spare time. Now that there's a mass recoloring tool it should be easier to finish.

By using an old DOS version of ZSNES, you can take screenshots that preserve the full 256-color palette, allowing you to get perfect CSet rips. Romhacking tools also allow you to get perfect graphics rips by extracting them directly from the rom, instead of taking the long way around with screenshots and other people's rips.

If you want any of the stuff I've already done, you're welcome to it.
  • Anthus likes this

#21 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I would be interested in seeing what you've done. I found Xenix's PW set, but it is largely incomplete. The stuff that is there though is pretty solid. There are mountain tiles, and a snow palette. Using DoR as a base, it might be possible to make a 'super' LttP set with tiles from both, plus extra stuff from DoR.

#22 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Here is what I've done in ZC so far.

Included is a set of ZSNES screenshots I used to rip dungeon palettes. I had to rearrange a bunch of the palette entries until I got something that could fit into 4 CSets per level palette and still be considered universal, there's a lot of duplicates in the original game.

Also included is the 2.50 version of Orion's LttP tileset. I had just begun to implement the new level palettes but had given up, because the mass recoloring tool wasn't available at the time. I had also begun testing extended-graphics enemies.

Also also included is an edit of the DoR Hybrid tileset with fairly extensive changes to the Dungeon graphics and palettes, including stuff from Four Swords Adventures. There's even a DoR-formatted overworld palette using the colors from LttP.

#23 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

Wow, there are complete ALttP Link Tiles in here. I was attempting to rip those myself, and I actually did submit an unfinished version to the database. These are perfect though. The front-facing Slash is waaaaay better than my attempt cause it is accurate to the frame, and you successfully removed the sword from the frame. Kudos good sir. I might still finish mine though, cause did want to include full shields, plus detailed instructions on setting them up. I can send it to you though to add to this, but I was probably gonna put it in the db as well.

Speaking of Four Swords, I was looking on TSR, and they have a lot of rips from that game (not to be confused with FSA, I'm talking about the one that was with LttP for GBA). There's some cool wall sets that I was thinking of grabbing. If I do such a thing, I could send them to you in this palette structure if you wanted to add them. The parallel tower quest looks pretty cool too. Lots of good stuff in here, it's a shame not more people know about it. This might be right up op's ally.

#24 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

The original Four Swords for GBA is a prototype for Minish Cap, more or less. You'll find most of its graphics recycled in that game. I'm more interested in LttP itself.

Recently I picked up a complete rip of Four Swords Adventures from the Solarus Engine forum. It has every possible tile, sprite and CSet used in the entire game.

Something interesting about FSA is that it looks like they recycled the graphics from A Link to the Past, but that's not actually the case. Instead, they tweaked and re-drew everything so it uses a DoR-compatible palette structure and fits in ZC's tile grid. There are also a lot of new graphics and palettes nobody's ever ripped before.

It's ripe for possibly the lowest-effort complete tileset anyone could make, and it looks enough like LttP that almost nobody would care. My main concern has been time and demand. Even DoR doesn't get used a lot, and I think that's mostly because of its complexity.

• Anthus likes this

#25 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:48 AM

Just as a note, I would be willing to contribute the requisite scripts to get large hitboxes to work properly, as well as items. I'd still hope for PW, and TBH, is the base Z3 set really better than the PW gfx set?

Anyhow, I'd also be willing to work on custom Link->Actions for this.

#26 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

is the base Z3 set really better than the PW gfx set?

Yes.

#27 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

PW has some interesting tiles, but the most notable changes are palettes, trees, the addition of snow, small edits to water, houses, and grass, and obviously, the mountains. Other than that, the PW set is kind of messy, IMO. I do prefer ALttP more. I would be willing to help rip stuff, and do anything I could if you guys want to try to make something happen here.

If you have a list of specific items you want from PW, I can see about maybe ripping them. The water would be the hardest, I think cause of its animation, but the other stuff is just a matter of finding it in a map/ tile viewer, or taking screenshots with all the layers but the one you need off.

#28 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

how does tile molester rip tiles?

#29 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

EDIT

Edited by Cukeman, 06 March 2016 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users