Photo

Is there a worthwhile aLttP Tileset yet?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

Pretty much what the title says.

I was wondering whether there is a worthwhile aLttP tileset out yet. I know that there is a very old one in the database, but I was hoping that maybe somewhere something with a good pallete structure and a decent coverage of tiles exists. It would be "about damn time" that such a thing came forth, I guess, but then again, I am too lazy myself to commit to the compilation of such a tileset so maybe you are as well.

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

I haven't seen anything like what you are looking for. One problem is probably that the enemy sprites are too big. And also, I don't know what makes a good palette structure, but maybe someone could take the palettes from any Pure tileset and make an aLttP tileset out of it.

#3 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

I know Bagel's 744 was heavily inspired by Link to the Past, so you might be able to check with him and see if he has something that could help you out.

• Sheik likes this

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

I know Bagel's 744 was heavily inspired by Link to the Past, so you might be able to check with him and see if he has something that could help you out.

That is right. Which tileset was his quest based on? That one should feature most of the LttP tiles at least, I would think.

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

He used Pure, if I'm not mistaken.

• Sheik likes this

#6 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

It would be pleasant to have a quest file within the zc file which contains a Zelda 3 tileset featuring 2.5 rules, simple to use, and scripts.

This would let people simply load the file and everything Z3 is ready to go. Only thing I would ever see missing is 32x32 screen scrolling but thats silly talk, pah humbug 

Edited by Astromeow, 08 October 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

Ignoring the colors, I made this with Pure (PR). It suffices, but it's not quite it. :/

mPOBab6.png

• Jared, Lightwulf and coolgamer012345 like this

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

You could always rip the tiles and recolor them.  :shrug:

• isilmo likes this

#9 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

You could always rip the tiles and recolor them.  :shrug:

they get ripped by screen captures or a tile ripper? I had tile molester and did not get it.

how can there be a pallet or LttP, there is not enough choises? even using 8 bit mode? or what ever it is called?

can enemy tiles be shrunken and look good?

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

they get ripped by screen captures or a tile ripper? I had tile molester and did not get it.

how can there be a pallet or LttP, there is not enough choises? even using 8 bit mode? or what ever it is called?

can enemy tiles be shrunken and look good?

Use an image editor to shrink the enemies if they are too large, and use 8 bit recolor (Shift+R in tile editor) to recolor correctly.

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

If you want a reliable LttP set, you could just take the enemies from Orion's LttP set, and then use the modified mountains, and everything else from DoR or any of its derivatives. I've kind of wanted to take a crack at 'making' a LttP tileset, using Orion's as a base (enemies, mostly). I would take the mountains from newer ZC friendly layouts though, cause the mountains in his set are SNES authentic, and hard to use in ZC. One thing I haven't seen though is LttP Darkworld mountain tiles (outside of Orion's set).

I still think the current LttP set is amazing for what it is -- a tile for tile rip from LttP. This is a massive undertaking, but it is not exactly easy to use, or friendly in ZC. The tile coverage is there, and the palettes aren't impossible to convert to other palette structures using external software. I know that would take for ever though.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#12 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:05 AM

You know, we do have the AutoBigEnemy script in the database. I don't see the need to shrink down the enemy graphics if you can just put together the full-size ones. And don't tell me that it makes all of the characters too large for the screen size, ZC is only one row and one column smaller than Minish Cap, and it worked just fine, even in smaller areas without scrolling.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

That would work, and you can also have a true ALttP Link as well. The only hing that would feel off is the sword swing, cause Link's attack angle is different in LttP than it is in the GB games which ZC's slash is based off of.

I was looking at the palettes in Hyrule Magic (AlttP Level editor), and it wouldn't actually be too hard to take the colors from the ROM, and put them into a pre-existing palette structure using a something like GraphicsGale, or any program that lets you edit palettes. Tiles could be ripped from HM as well, as it easily shows all the tiles, in a manner similar to ZC.

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

Well, I was aksing for an exisitng set mainly because I didn't want to create one myself. But I do like your plan and think you should go for it.

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

I'll eventually publish some custom sword scripts for Z3 style swords, using stdWeapons, but it'll be a while.

In the interim, if you make a Z3 tileset, and prepare the sword gfx, I'll use them for the demo of the sword script, so you'll get a free Z3 sword out of it.

If you want to work on the Parallel Worlds tileset instead... hint, hint... that would be awesome.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 12 January 2016 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users