A Sprite A Day Keeps the Rust Away.

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

This is an idea I had earlier in the day, and I thought I'd give it a try.  Basically, what this thread is for is to encourage people to practice their spriting ability, by drawing some graphic once a day.  It doesn't have to be anything huge, or even a full sheet, unless you want it to be, and it isn't mandatory to participate.  This is just a haven for those who would like to practice and receive critique.  You don't have to be participating to critique, but why not join in on the fun and practice your abilities?  Also, unless the artist posts otherwise, you probably shouldn't use the graphics in here.

I'll give you two sprites for the price of one post; graphics for my current project with  my partner, World of Chaos:  The Jewels of Life.

KohMugshot_zps5c45a4d9.gifChestGIF_zps8f67bbd5.gif

Edited by Koh, 10 January 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

That's a great facial expression. Such a mischievous smile!

I don't produce decent graphics very often, but maybe I'll hop in here if I make something that looks alright ...

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

The new classic-based tileset release made me want to work with the NES Classic colors to draw stuff today.  So I did.

RandomClassicBig_zps66c55d46.png

It always bothered me how the original sprites weren't truly top down, so I did something about it XP.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

To be honest, your rendition just makes Link look shorter and chubbier- mainly because he doesn't look top-down at all, he just looks like he has a large head and a tiny body.  Sometimes, it's better to go with the "wrong" perspective if you can make it look a lot better.  ALBW has everything in the "wrong" perspective because otherwise, all you'd see is a green hat- and it's more pleasing to the player to be able to see who they're playing as.

Octoroks looks pretty alright, though.

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I'd say that's generally because of proportions in a small space.  Most of the detail goes into the head, so you can make out facial expressions and what not, and thus less space can be used for the body.  But if you look at something like say, Castlevania, expressionism and detail is sacrificed for more proportions.  If Link's sprite were to be 16x24, or just within a 24x24 bounding box in general, it would look a lot better.  Hmm, I know what I'm going to draw tomorrow~

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#6 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I disagree with Scootaloo's assertion. I think the perspective is quite nice. You could even get away with more pixels for the head. Also, ALBW isn't truly top-down. The camera is angled slightly.

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Actually, when he said top down, and then mentioned only being able to see Link's hat, I think the was thinking about birds-eye view.  I mean top down as in Illusion of Gaia, where the walls and character sprites in all orientations fit the bill.  But, thanks all the same~

Edited by Koh, 11 January 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#8 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

Well here's mine for the day.

TallClassicLinkTrans_zps334b6aad.png

I knew it'd look a lot better if he were taller.  

Edited by Koh, 12 January 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#9 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yes, it does! Though, this way it's much less useful for an actual quest in ZC, as you also need enemies and npc's in that style, but still. :)

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'm still working on more for this, but, my graphics for today.

TileTest-4_zps9dbe4048.png

NES sprite/tile limitations; 4 colors per 8x8 grid, with sprites having one transparent.

Edited by Koh, 13 January 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Have you considered finishing these? I think they look really good, and I'd love to see a full set. ZC really needs more 2x1 sprites.

• Ventus and coolgamer012345 like this

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Have you considered finishing these? I think they look really good, and I'd love to see a full set. ZC really needs more 2x1 sprites.

Not really, I'm just enjoying seeing what I can make with nes color restrictions on 8x8 tiles.  Like this.

TileTest-5_zpsde3fcfcf.png

I mean, doing full sets of sprites was the last thought that crossed my mind XD.  More like tiles!  I coooould, but I also probably wouldn't in favor of drawing other things.

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

TileTest-6_zps95f6c81b.png

Huzzah!  Finally got time to do more on these.

#14 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

Would you mind if somebody were to rip these and use them in a quest? Some of these look really nice, but I'd hate to do it without permission.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Actually, I said something about that in Skype Chat.  I was wondering if I should submit the sheet once I'm done adding to the database, since it just uses Classic's OW Palette all in one go; AKA put all the colors on one palette that the OW has to offer, and you'd be all set up.,  But that's only if there's enough interest. So far, you're the only one XD.

EDIT:  Anyone care for a swim?

8BitTileTest_zps70d76520.gif

Edited by Koh, 17 January 2014 - 06:13 AM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users