The Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread

• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#46 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

I was testing how it looked with the pines before I try the LTTP small trees. Don't mind me asking, but what where you talking about TMC water borders?

#47 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Currently, you are using BS water borders / water-grass transition. Giggidy ripped the tMC ones in to Pure and PR, I'm pretty sure. They'll surely look better.

#48 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

And now for something a bit experimental:

IPB Image

A possible candidate for a "woods" palette for SoT. I made this level palette in a different way from usual: Normally I mess with the color sliders until I get something that looks good: This time I looked at pictures of actual woods, then grabbed the colors from those. Smoothing out the gradients by hand afterward, of course.

#49 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hm. I can't say it looks bad, but I can't say I like it either. While I think that the more realitic colours in your SoT tileset look very good on the cartoony tMC tiles, I think this is just a little too realistic. I suggest making it look like a sunlit forest and everything else can be done with layered shadows. If you don't want them (because they aren't real tMC tiles) than that'd be safe, too (though it wouldn't look like a dark forest anymore icon_razz.gif). But I highly suggest something less dull. Edit: Acutally, forget that. Dull is fine, but contrast should be there anyways.

Something like that maybe?

Edited by Sheik91, 17 April 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#50 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

If anything I was worried the contrast would be too much!

I'm not sure if I want something "sunnier." But I can always just do it as a separate level palette.

By the way, for the curious my reference was this lovely desktop wallpaper.

#51 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Ok , here are my new title screens.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here is something I alrady wrote because of a complain, so here are the screen conditions:

Argument. Every thing looks flat.
Response. Well, i'm not going for the best looking quest, and i'm not a great spriter, so live with it.

Argument. There is nothing behind the mountains, no perspective.
Response. Well, and so there shouldnt. There is no mountains, fields, oceans, lakes, anything behind the mountains, which is explained at the next response.

Argument. Everything looks fake and non realistic.
Response. Well, that place is paradyse, the perfect's home land. Behind the mountains, there is no existance. And about the tower, well, thats confidencial.

#52 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Um, I seriously don't know how to use these TMC water boarders. It doesn't look like there are enough, or some of them have to use layers. Can someone show me how to use them please?

#53 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Here's how you use the side borders:

IPB Image

Keep in mind you're supposed to use flips to get some of the tiles. I didn't realize they were so confusing, I'll try to get a full tutorial up.

#54 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

Good, because I'm a bit lost with these tiles icon_wacky.gif

#55 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

What do you think of this?
IPB Image

It had to be taken in ZQ (And shrunk) because there's a problem with a script and it warps me to a cave which loops. (Weird, I know. I can't explain either icon_razz.gif.)

Edited by Lynker, 17 April 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#56 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

That... gate(?) in the upper-right corner should be moved down so it occurs on the whole screen. Left cliffs can also stand to be moved over a few tiles to the left, and that corner down there should be moved downward to the screen beneath it. That outward corner to the right of the cave entrance also looks a bit... strange. I've never used the LttP mountains before but I'd swear that's a tile error of some sort.

#57 Twilight Midna

Twilight Midna

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

It needs more red trees in my opinion. The mountains look a bit too square to me, as well; maybe try giving them some curves here and there?

#58 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

indeed, the mountain right to the cave looks incorrect, try putting some vertical mountain side on the screen.
also, i dont like the bushs ramdomly placed on the mountain.
AND i agree giggidy, move the gate down one or two tiles.

#59 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 17 2011, 06:58 PM) View Post

What do you think of this?
IPB Image

It had to be taken in ZQ (And shrunk) because there's a problem with a script and it warps me to a cave which loops. (Weird, I know. I can't explain either icon_razz.gif.)

Well, the detail is decent and you used the grass tiles properly. Everything else is... Mediocre. The mountains are WAY too straight and unnatural looking, and I don't really like what you did with the LTTP trees at the bottom. Also, walkability seems very awkward. Try opening up the screen more. Some dirt patches would also be beneficial towards both detail and balancing colors. Here's what I think you should do: move the cliff/cave setup farther to the left, and curve the mountains more. That way, Link will have more room to maneuver and the screen itself will look a little less awkward. (Since all of the focus seems to be on the right side.) In addition, clean up the detail a bit by adding some dirt patches/other ground detail and making the bushes a little less random.

#60 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(Ica44 @ Apr 17 2011, 06:37 PM) View Post

Ok , here are my new title screens.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Argument. Every thing looks flat.
Response. Well, i'm not going for the best looking quest, and i'm not a great spriter, so live with it.

Response: Then why are you even showing off the screen if you know it looks terrible and refuse to improve on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users