Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Remakes of the first 3 Crash Bandicoot games for PS4.  Gameplay footage released.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#2 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

1) Who is that ugly woman at the end of the bonus stage?

2) The 30FPS video gives the impression of the game missing animation frames that the PS1 games had.

3) Did they add motion blur? Ugh. (during the vertical bounce pad section near the end of the video)

Overall though, despite my criticisms it looks alright. Not a fan of the new apple texture though.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 December 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:47 AM

This is actually making me a bit more interested in getting a PS4. I loved the original Crash trilogy, and this looks pretty awesome to me. There are some other games besides this for the PS4 that I wouldn't mind playing either. I hope this leads to them making some more Crash games that are like the originals, as I didn't care very much for the newer games.

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

I think it looks pretty good overall, though there are some headscratchers.  Like, the 10-Wumpa Fruit crates not being a darker shade of brown so they contrast better like before.  I know they changed it to a caged look, but they should still have done something about that.  Also, the temple ruins areas that were once a stony, mossy green in the original, now more like a greek marble now, and also the darker lit areas for atmosphere now much, much brighter.   Doesn't quite make sense to change those things.  But I am glad the later quality of life things are there, like allowing you to see how many boxes are in the level before you exit it, and manuall saving.  Time Trials are also being added to Crash 1 and Crash 2, thus Relics.  I hope they remove the unnecessary frustration that Crash 1 had regarding the Gems, where dying resets all the boxes and such.

Edited by Koh, 04 December 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

Playing as the TV commercial Crash should be an unlockable 

gallery_90sCrash-gallery1.jpg hqdefault.jpg

The new fur texture reminded me of this immediately

#6 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

This in my opinion is a pointless remake. The first three Crash games to me still look great even by today's standards, specially the third one which is actually my favourite of the first three. 

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

I disagree on two fronts.

First front is that the series has been stagnant for almost a decade now.  So a remastering could attract both old fans who didn't care for what they did post PS2 era, as well as new fans who are looking for PS4 titles to grab.  In doing so, they can see just how much interest is still in the market for more Crash, and could potentially use that as a jumping off point to make additional titles and revive the series.

Second front is the aging of the games, well most notably the first, haven't aged well mechanically in some areas.  The aforementioned problems with Crash 1 and saving, and needless frustration, but also just other minor things that can only be touched up with a remake.  

A bonus front of course being that it's not just simple ports or emulated versions like you see on Virtual Consoles or whatever, or most SNES to GBA titles.  It's more akin to true remakes like Pokemon FireRed or HeartGold, or Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 4 PSP compared to their original versions, where not only is everything that existed touched up and polished further, but much more is added, which in this case would be the addition of Time Trials and Relics to Crash 1 and Crash 2.  

Edited by Koh, 04 December 2016 - 11:50 AM.

• Neppy likes this

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

This topic re-reminds me, I can play PS1 games on my PS3. My TV hates PS1 games played via Component A/V on the PS2 but the PS3 can upscale the games to a standardized signal format so there is no issue. I need to replay Crash Bandicoot 3.

On-topic: It looks like their using a new game engine instead of just emulating the old game and tacking on HD textures.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 December 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#9 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

The only fix needed in the trilogy is just in the first game and it's the method of saving in the first game. The rest doesn't need "fixing" or any other bullshit. So i don't know why a full remake is needed just for this.

I'm honestly getting kind of sick of remakes. Like "Hey, we could make new games, but let's remake games to capitalize on nostalgia". Which is the reason i don't want Pokemon Generation 4 remakes, even though it's my favourite generation from that series.

Edited by Norzan, 04 December 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

Well that's fair, no one says you have to like it.  I just understand why they're doing it in terms of the market.

The last Crash game was released about 9 years ago if I'm not mistaken, so testing the waters first is a good business move.

Personally, I don't mind remakes as long as they're true remakes and not just ports, and are done well.  It's one thing to remake a game that was released not that long ago, but we're dealing with near 20 year old titles here, so there's lots of room for improvement on that front.  I still await the day we get a proper remake of Zelda 1, because it so badly needs one, lol.

#11 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

Haha, the more crates you miss the longer you have to wait on that end screen, or what? Unless you can skip that counter.
Anyway this looks neat. Good that they're remaking classic games like these. I faintly remember playing crash bandicoot.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

If I had a PS4, I'd get it. I've played the first, and third one but with not owning a PlayStation as a kid, I was limited to short sessions at a freind's house. He also had Spyro which I always liked. It won't be enough to get me to buy a ps4 tho. :P

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Haha, the more crates you miss the longer you have to wait on that end screen, or what? Unless you can skip that counter.
Anyway this looks neat. Good that they're remaking classic games like these. I faintly remember playing crash bandicoot.

You couldn't in the original, I'm not sure if you can here.  But I like the little detail they added here, where he looks like he's in more pain for each 10 box milestone, lol.

#14 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

You couldn't in the original, I'm not sure if you can here.  But I like the little detail they added here, where he looks like he's in more pain for each 10 box milestone, lol.

Actually, it only does one box in the Japanese version, no matter what. There were multiple minor changes done to Crash 1 for the japanese version, such as a hint system. 

I can't help but wonder if they'll add any of the unused levels in the crash 1 remake, like Stormy Ascent. If it doesn't at least have Stormy Ascent (it was only missing a bonus stage), then they really didn't put a ton of effort into the remake.

EDIT: New trailer's up, apparently they're using the voices from Mind over Mutant, according to someone in the comments. I'm pretty happy with the modern cortex voice being used, as I LOVE Lex Lang's voice in Twinsanity. (Fun Fact: Twinsanity is my favorite Crash game)

Edited by Fiyaball, 04 December 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#15 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

Really loved these games on PS1. I never actually beat Crash 1 yet, but perhaps this remake will give me the opportunity to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users