Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

I might be considering inviting some cousins and friends over to my local theater to watch Rogue One as part of an early birthday party for myself. If I go through with this, however, I'd have to be selective about who I invite. I know for a fact that most girls are not into Star Wars, so most likely I'll be inviting primarily guys. There is also this one cousin in particular I'm wondering about. He is a big geek but also very critical. I recall him saying that The Force Awakens was something along the lines of overrated and badly acted. My brothers didn't hate it but they were nonetheless disappointed about some of its aspects, like that it didn't have enough lightsaber duels, and that Kylo Ren seemed like an emo Darth Vader fanboy (though very rich coming from these kids, considering they prefer the prequel trilogy), and my Dad thought the acting was utterly bland and uncharismatic, although it wouldn't surprise me if he had actually slept through the whole movie. Pretty much had the same opinion about Guardians of the Galaxy, which I loved. :aggravated:

Here's hoping that Rogue One will make a better impression on everyone. Would hate to invite all these people to the theater just to disappoint them.

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:48 AM

I wouldn't let them bother you, and worst case scenario, you all walk out with different opinions but got to share a day/night at the movies together. The Force Awakens has been a polarizing movie for a while for various reasons, though I personally loved it. We'll see how Rogue One's reception turns out.

#18 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

Saw it as originally planned. Let's get to the point with my spoiler-free impressions: It had some corny lines even for Star Wars, and a fair amount of character development was a bit rushed, but the rest was really good. Definitely worth a watch. Great action, special effects, and setpieces, it was just overall a very good film. I personally wouldn't place it on par with the original trilogy in terms of quality, but that wouldn't be fair; it's true, this film tries to do its own thing with a bit of Star Wars flair rather than just try to be another saga film.

Some extended thoughts below that are spoilers, obviously don't click if you haven't seen it or care about spoilers:

Spoiler

#19 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

A bit of a delayed response, but on Sunday I went out to the theaters with my family and some cousins to see Rogue One as part of an early Birthday party. I believed we all generally liked it, but most of us agreed that Force Awakens was probably better. I personally agree to a certain extent. I do believe this movie was in parts both better and worse than Force Awakens. To be fair, despite how much I liked Force Awakens when I watched it in theaters, astonishingly enough, I haven't re-watched it since then. I feel that in order to properly compare these movies I should re-watch Force Awakens sometime soon, though I can say with a certainty that at its time it had a bigger hype factor for many, including myself.

Spoiler

#20 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#21 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

I didn't like the music much, not very star warsy. The movie is better than Episode 2 and 3 (by far the worst 2), so far Episode 7 is the one I like the most out of them all.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 21 December 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#22 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:32 AM

Spoiler

#23 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Replies in bold because quoting tons of spoiler boxes with spoiler box replies would just get cluttered and ugly:

Spoiler

• Cukeman likes this

#24 MaeioParty

MaeioParty

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:40 AM

The Force Awakens was definitely the film they had to get right. From the characters, the fan service and even basic stuff such as the editing.

While the third act was great the first and second acts had a distinct fan film feeling to them at points, especially with some of the more obvious fan service.

The characters were fine but lack the unique personalities and memorable nature of those in the OT and TFA. I know who Poe, Fin and Rey are. I know who Luke, Han and Leia are. What is the name of that Imperial pilot again? Who is the guy with the big gun and armor?

On a second watch, this fundamentally changed the third act. At first it was fun, exciting and awesome. Then, I realised I just didn't care about those involved.

My new order is:
ESB>ANH>ROTJ>TFA>R1>ROTS>TPM>AOTC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users