Photo

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

The trailer for the film, releasing December 16 in the United States, finally dropped:

And honestly, it looks fantastic. Yeah, a big part of it is because of them revisiting the OT era, my favorite era, but with new effects, so we can get a glimpse of what that era looks like using modern technology. And the result so far is wonderful. But there's all the little other elements, more insight into the Rebellion and the Empire, the conflicts between them, and that martial arts dude. ... yeah, I thought he was cool, despite being framed around giant walkers and space stations and new stormtroopers, so what?

Looking forward to it. It seems much better than the dream I had where Darth Vader was a goofball that was into papier-mache.

• DCEnygma, Eppy and Cukeman like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

Two things I wonder. Is a metal blade actually practical in a light saber universe? Will we see Sith in this film?

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

Is a metal blade actually practical in a light saber universe?

If they take cues from the old Expanded Universe, then yes. There were a couple of lightsaber-resistant materials in EU. Rare, but they existed.

Will we see Sith in this film?

Besides Darth Vader? :P

• Cukeman likes this

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

Shiiiiiiit this looks good, I already can't wait to see it.  I'm curious what else the movie might have in store other than the plans to the Death Star...

• DashSim likes this

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

If they take cues from the old Expanded Universe, then yes. There were a couple of lightsaber-resistant materials in EU. Rare, but they existed.

That's cool. Also wondering because so many characters are heavily armored. 

Besides Darth Vader? :P

Vader and/or Palpatine. As for other Sith, I personally hope we don't see any in Rogue One or Episodes 7-8-9. It would really diminish the heroes' achievements in the OT. I really hope Snoke and Kylo aren't technically Sith, even if they pretty much serve the same purpose plot-wise.

EDIT: Also I would've much preferred "Star Wars: Rogue One" to "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"

Edited by Cukeman, 07 April 2016 - 10:52 PM.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

You won't have to fear there about Sith. There isn't a "Rule of Two" for nothing. Maybe other darksiders are lurking in the background (such as Snoke himself), but not other Sith. Also, Snoke and Kylo Ren were explicitly said to not be Sith as well.

As for naming, I'm sure it's done that way to help keep people from confusing it with one of the main trilogy entries.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:08 PM

I'm still not really clear on whether the prequels broke the rule of two or not. You've got Palapatine, Maul, Dooku, Grevious, and Anakin in the PT. I'm not sure if Dooku was Sith or not, Grevious probably wasn't, although he said he had some kind of training.

Historically, the rule of two, I would assume, means that there are only two on a team, not two in the universe. I got the impression that Palpatine/Maul were the last Sith in the universe in Episode 1, but I'm not one of the writers, so I can't speak for thier thinking.

Your point on the title is valid, I just think it's unnecessarily wordy.

Edited by Cukeman, 07 April 2016 - 11:13 PM.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

Grievous wasn't Force-sensitive at all, I believe. As for Rule of Two, it meant that there could only be two Sith in the entire galaxy. "Always two, there are: A Master, and an Apprentice." It was established in ancient times by Darth Bane, who realized that too many Sith at once led to too much backstabbing and was generally self-destructive. This is canon; it was created in Legends, but directly referenced in the Clone Wars show. Darth Maul, Dooku, and Anakin/Vader were apprentices at different times, replacing each other as they went. Maul actually survived, and a plot during Clone Wars with him involved him trying to become the new Master and Apprentice with his brother, but the brother was killed and Maul was defeated; he'd later go into seclusion and no longer consider himself Sith, instead growing to hate them, but still clutched to the dark side of the Force. But when he "died," Dooku replaced him, and after Anakin killed Dooku, he replaced him. Asajj Ventress was just considered a Dark Jedi.

• Cukeman likes this

#9 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:14 AM

I woke up with a nasty cold a couple days ago. The skin around my nose is raw from so many tissues. My throat aches with the slightest swallow. My entire body feels heavy, weighted down with fatigue.

But goddamn did I forget all that for the following two minutes after hitting play on that trailer
  • The Satellite likes this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:06 AM

Of course, the rule of two in itself can't be perfectly literal. During the process of replacement there must, at certain points, be 1 (when one dies) or 3 (if potential apprentices count) :P . And, as you pointed out there are loopholes, like assumptions that someone is dead when they're not. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying there are ways the rules can be stretched.

Edited by Cukeman, 08 April 2016 - 01:08 AM.

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

Second trailer is out. I'm looking forward to this film, seeing more of the war climate before the Rebels managed to gain traction. I'm also looking forward to the new characters and that we're getting a look into other people involved in the war. This is gonna be a good movie.

#12 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:14 PM

The trailer looks incredible. Looking forward to movie; I don't think I'm gonna be disappointed.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

New trailer:

Spoiler

Oh man.

• Evan20000 likes this

#14 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

This actually looks like it might be more faithful to the feel of the original trilogy than 7, and with a plot that isn't a carbon copy as far as I can tell. Looking forward to this.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

If all pans out, I should actually be seeing the film Friday in the late afternoon with my cousins, so that's kind of exciting. While no official reviews are out (the embargo lifts tomorrow), a lot of word of mouth from last night's premiere is incredibly positive, so that's nice. Obviously I'll be formulating my own opinion, but it's good to hear that initial perception is very positive. Also overanalyzing the hell out of it. :heh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users