• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#91 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

Well, at the very least, this means Yooka-Laylee will end up being one of my favorite games of 2017~.

Game's looking fantastic so far. I can see why the game was delayed, since it looks a little rough in some areas, while more polished in other areas.

#92 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

Watched the trailer, partway through started thinking...

"Hey, this bit looks kind of like Minecart Madness. Wait, isn't this made by the same guys who... OH, GOD NO!!!"

#93 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

Color me hyped.

I found about this when TS mentioned it in the Rayman thread. I admittedly never owned a Banjo game, but I loved the DK series, and from what I've seen of BK it looks pretty damn solid. I always liked Conker's Bad Fur Day too.

I'm excited to see a new breath of life enter a sleeping genre.
  • The Satellite likes this

#94 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games of all time. I really owe it to myself to track down a physical cartridge and beat the game; I've gotten very far but have never actually beaten it. I'd easily call it the best N64 game, maybe the best 3D platformer ever. I know that's high praise and you may disagree, but it should at least give you an idea of the game's quality.

• Anthus likes this

#95 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

I played some of it via emulator and liked it. I just never actually beat it either, and didn't have it as a kid.

It's actually affordable too, at about 30$ on Amazon, ootb. A sealed copy though? Good luck :P

#96 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:17 AM

New trailer, with a release date! April 11, 2017! Mark the calendar! Can't wait to finally be able to play this game. Except...

After many challenging months, we’re finally able to update you on the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee and announce a number of developments.

The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned.

... well, shit. That's the version I backed for. I don't know if the game will run well on my PC, and I don't think I'll have one of the other consoles by then.

That info, however, comes from here, which confirms a Switch version is in development. That, and those who backed for the Wii U version can change their platform sometime in January. So all's not lost, but hell, that's a bit of a disappointment. But hey, release date and new trailer!

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#97 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

In other news, looks like Shovel Knight makes an appearance..?

But.... No Wii U version? Yep, that sucks. As long as it is coming to the Switch, that's cool, but I really wonder what "unforeseeable technical problems" are here.

EDIT: Looks like their logo is using the same color scheme as the Rare "R" from the DKC games. And mine cart levels confirmed. I'm happy.

• Lightwulf likes this

#98 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Probably some sort of challenge in porting the game to the Wii U using the Unity engine. Fortunately, they won't have that obstacle with Switch.

#99 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

I do actually buy them saying that it had technical problems.  Wii U is pretty difficult to develop for if you're a third party, and the reason the effort was made initially was because third parties were giving the system a chance.  A lot of people are saying that, "Oh it's because it wouldn't sell on a dead console!" and hey, that's true, but I feel like the Playtonic guys were still genuinely nice enough to try this because, "Well, a lot of our fans are Nintendo fans since most of our best games are Nintendo games."

It is disappointing that the Switch version will be the last version, mainly because that's entirely fucking typical lately and I hope that after Switch's launch, that will stop being the case.

#100 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

This is another lengthy gameplay video. It's from September, but since no one has posted in this thread till today, since June, there's a lot of new videos.

There is a character a few minutes in named Sir Scoffsalot, who is surely a reference to the guys who you had to feed bananas to in DK64 to enter Boss areas.

EDIT: "Kartos, the God of Ore?" --Laylee, 6:29. This is gonna be good.

#101 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

Anyone get the game yet? I got the Steam version, since I forgot to switch my Wii U version to Switch. Not too annoyed, though. Downloading Steam now to play! :) I'm so excited. I'm going to use my Switch Pro controller.

Edit-- Apparently it doesn't come out for 3 more days. Lame!

Edited by Jared, 07 April 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#102 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

And if you're waiting for it on Switch, you still don't have a release date yet... that is, myself. Hoping it won't take too long.

Seems reviews are mixed. Averaging around 7/10 in the ratings, the most common negatives are apparently performance issues on PS4 and Xbox One (not sure about PC) and sometimes the worlds can feel a little empty. Some others say it's uninspired while others say it's exactly what Playtonic promised: A Banjo-Kazooie love letter experience.

Obviously I can only judge for myself when it comes out but I'm sure I'll enjoy the soundtrack and the humor from what I've seen. Hoping the Switch version escapes the performance issues; I hear Playtonic is working on that port themselves, whereas the other console ports were outsourced. Take that with a grain of salt though, I don't have a source.

#103 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:13 AM

There's a news article saying a performance patch will be released on launch day.

#104 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

05fa678e62.jpg

So, I made a cover of Jungle Woods from Yooka-Laylee, and Grant Kirkhope, the composer of the game (and Banjo Kazooie, etc) liked it.  I'm so happy right now.

EDIT:  Sorry, got too excited, forgot to post the actual song.  

Edited by thepsynergist, 08 April 2017 - 07:04 AM.

• Koh, Shane, Avaro and 1 other like this

#105 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

No uh, no link to either song?

• thepsynergist likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users