Arrow Shutter Trigger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

It should be the easiest thing, but I can't get it. How do I make it where a door shutter is opened after you shoot a trigger with an arrow?

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

Without scripting, assuming this is a "Dungeon" kind of room (Rather than Interior.) it's certainly possible. Turn the wall into a "Wall" type wall instead of a "Shutter" type wall/door (Via the F6 Dialogue, I mean. It's really confusing phrasing there.) and draw the shutter combos onto it. Put the secret combos where the door is open on top of it. When the arrow trigger is triggered, the screen secrets will trigger and the shutter combos will turn into open door combos as you assigned.

But we also have to consider the possibility that the player will return through that same door. Again, unscripted, you'll have to make new combos of the door being open, then combo-cycling into shutters, effectively closing after the player has automatically walked through them. Given that in Dungeon dmaps, screen secrets are temporary, you'll be able to trigger the arrow trigger again. Be sure to give the player plenty of opportunities to refill their arrows. :)

-------

With scripting, there is always the Screen->Door[] something (I'm not much of a scripter myself) doohickie. If Screen->Secrets == true then Screen->Door[2] (whatever it is) open or something. Bleh.

tl;dr, it exists. Should be possible.

EDIT: According to The Wiki, there's more information in std.zh in your ZC folder. I'm not surprised.

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

ST's method works, but you could also use a stationary enemy that can only be killed by arrows to open a shutter via killing enemies. Place a solid combo where the enemy is so it can't hurt Link. Make sure the enemies always return flag is checked. This should work, but either method will do.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

ST's method works, but you could also use a stationary enemy that can only be killed by arrows to open a shutter via killing enemies. Place a solid combo where the enemy is so it can't hurt Link. Make sure the enemies always return flag is checked. This should work, but either method will do.

I like this idea too. It's particularly possible because we have an enemy editor that can actually do this. :blah: Make it a flying-type enemy that's immune to everything but arrows. I also wonder if one may have to make a new wall combo (Assuming it's going on a wall) due to walkability issues if it actually spawns on an unwalkable combo. It's not like it can walk away from it or anything. :-P
  • Anthus likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention you may want to place the enemy with a combo flag so it doesn't randomly spawn in the wrong place. :P
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#6 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

There is a much simpler method.

Place closed shutter combos manually, and place misc. secret flags on top of them. In the secret combos editor, assign the opened door combos to said misc. secret flags, so the combos bearing these flags will turn into the new combos once the screen secret is triggered. Place a regular arrow trigger flag on the combo that needs to be shot. Once an arrow hits that trigger, the screen secrets will activate and the shutter combos will be replaced by the opened door combos.

This requires your dungeon (or at the very least the room) to use the "interior" mode.

• Anthus likes this

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

It's the "Dungeon" vs "Interior" room that requires this trick to be done in a very precise way. I remember all the times that I spent dozens of minutes (So dramatic. :P ) troubleshooting why I would draw door combos on my wall and they would be shutters in-game. It was because I had set that wall to Shutters or something in ZQuest and it rendered something different than what I had drawn.

Having an Interior style room may also make those secrets permanent, if I'm reading it right. Secret triggers can be repeated as long as there's still an arrow flag to trigger them again, but the effects of the first secret-triggering will remain persistent in Interior rooms. Not the case in Dungeon style rooms.

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Yes, interior secrets are permanent. You definitely need permanent secrets for this, or else the shutters will be closed again when you try to enter the room from the other side.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Unless it's one of the desired traits of that particular shutter, in which case the operation becomes more complex. I can understand it being the kind of door that might not be permanently closed. Eh, sometimes it's warranted. Then, a Dungeon style screen is appropriate.

Either way, there's ways to win the day!!
  • Anthus likes this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

The enemy method eliminates the need to worry about the shutter not opening/ closing at the right time, since it is a "real" door, and not combo'd. All methods require dungeon, or interior rooms though.

The enemy method has its drawbacks too, since you may want other enemies on the screen, but a lot of switch-making can be done with a combination of invisible enemies and secret tiles. Enemies even allow you to pick a death sound so the switches can have their own sounds (or none) if so desired :)

Edit: The biggest drawback really is, the enemy will knock Link back, even with 0 damage. Putting a solid combo over it doesn't really work either cause Link can still be hurt by touching it from below. It's pretty minor, and I work around it by making the graphics for these switches look like something you may want to avoid touching to begin with. ;)

#11 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

If you do something really unusual like make a copy of all of the OTHER enemies on the screen and give them the attribute of not counting towards screen enemies, you'll be able to bypass that little nagging factor though of having to kill all enemies besides the trigger-enemy.

Also, what happens if you kill the trigger enemy and there's nothing behind it? You might have to make a new graphic and put it behind it, like a now-bright crystal in back of the enemy that looks like a dark crystal. It'll "brighten" once struck/killed.

ZC is just one big glorious illusion, isn't it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users