Favorite Pokemon Types

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

Two years ago, I made a list of my least to favorite type. I was a casual back then. Currently, I'm still a casual, but I have more experience in Pokemon and I have greatly appreciated a lot of my before hated types. Here is my top 5:

5. Rock

While this type is a lot of people's least favorite types. I actually think it's underappreciated on the offense side. In my opinion, the rock type has one of the most unique offensive match ups. With the flying or fire type being so prominent, it's nice to have such a great offensive type to take care of them. And then there are stealth rocks, you love them or you hate them. I love them.

4. Electric

Electric type has only been really prominent offensively in the 7th gen with Tapu Koko. But I liked that type before it became the norm. It's only weakness to ground is very valuable in the double battle format. Where the only common ground type move isn't used that often due to it hitting all Pokemon. Sure Electric types don't hit a lot of types for SE damage. But it doesn't hit a lot of types for NVE damage either. It's just good at dealing a great amount of damage, or a very very large amount if you are using Koko.

3. Flying

Used to be one of my favorite types, still is, but it's not #1 anymore. It's still stupidly good when paired up with the steel type, or any type that's weak to ground, and I love it. I have been using a lot more brave birds and it's a really good move, one of my favorites. 

2. Bug

It has by far the coolest designs of any types, all other types don't match up with it when it comes to design. We got Scizor, Escaviler, Scolipede, Yanmega, and Golisopod. Offensive wise yeah it may be resisted by seven types, but it's SE hits are very unique. You can't find any other type that can beat both Psychic and Dark. Defensive wise it's actually not that bad. It may be weak to rocks, but resisting ground and fighting is just too good for a type.

1. Grass

I cringe when I look back at the old thread because I put this type so low on the list, but now it's at number one. If you're brave enough to look through it's five weakness and seven resisted hits, then you'll find the most fun type to use. Grass type is for the the players who want to play with skill. It has a very unique set of resistances, in water electric and ground. It's there to help you out with those specific threats. There's also status moves like spore and leech seed, no other types have as much great utilities as grass types. All the other types, even the one on this list don't compare to the amount of fun I have with the type. It's the type for pros. You've got weaknesses, but there are definitely strengths and it requires great, fun skill to use.

What's yours?

• Avaro and Matthew like this

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

I've been a fan of dark and steel type ever since they were introduced.

Now, from a meta standpoint, I've enjoyed using water and grass types.  Making a rain team with grass types can be fun (rain dish, swift swim).

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

One of my favorites is Water. Only weak against Grass and Electric, and the Grass weakness is pretty much moot as almost every single Water type can get Ice moves easily enough and a decent number of Water types have access to Ground moves to counter Electric. If you want to play defensively at the game's start, you can't go wrong with a Water-type Starter.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

I miss the days when types had specific properties, Grass types were my favorite because of their HP absorbing and status bonuses, now every type has HP absorbing moves it seems. Poison types had residual damage, Fire types lowered attack, Fighting types hit hard but had no defense, Rock types had great defense but no special, now every type seems to have every possible stat spread, and every type can inflict any kind of status :(

I still like Grass types, but they're no longer unique. I love Steel's usually high defenses in the single player game. Ground is amazing in human vs. human battles. Dragons are usually good toughs, and for #5... Fire or Fighting are often risky to use but can take out certain potential party killers without breaking a sweat.

Edited by Cukeman, 04 June 2017 - 09:53 PM.

• Naru likes this

#5 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

Ice and dragon are my favorites. Too bad there's no ice-dragons.

#6 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

I am still casual and most-likely will always be. EV, DV, nature, attacks through breeding, that is all not to my liking. Too time-intense. I just look up which pokemon are available with good stats and/or low max EP. I admit though that I generally like the strategies, if it would be easier to set your pokemon up with more pokemon being balanced to increase options by a lot I would be really into it for sure.

I find it a bit difficult to rate a type alone without certain pokemon in mind. My favourite is most likely Bug, I love the theme and there are many interesting pokemon/attacks. I don't really use the Pokemon though, while there are a lot I want to play with, these often are very weak and still need a lot of EP... Behind that are Ghost, Poison, Rock and Dark, it is a bit of the opposite though, while the ones I like are at least strong, there are barely any I want to play with. I think I also like Normal for having many interesting (status)-attacks and some very interesting pokemon. Overall I will go with Water though, I still like the theme and it offers the most (strong) pokemon and attacks to my liking.

I think in my early pokemon days my top-three were dragon, water and psycho.

#7 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

Ice and dragon are my favorites. Too bad there's no ice-dragons.

https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/kyurem

• Binx and Naru like this

#8 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Favorite is Dark, I started doing type specialization for it back in Gen 2 because no gyms had the Dark-Type, After that, it's Dragon, Fire, Ghost and Water. In that order. Least favorite type? Poison. Except for Drapion. Drapion kicks ass.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

I miss the days when types had specific properties, Grass types were my favorite because of their HP absorbing and status bonuses, now every type has HP absorbing moves it seems. Poison types had residual damage, Fire types lowered attack, Fighting types hit hard but had no defense, Rock types had great defense but no special, now every type seems to have every possible stat spread, and every type can inflict any kind of status :(

While I do sound pretty down on the new mechanics, I do think it's great that every type is now viable for a battle team, which wasn't true in the past. Some types are still inferior or superior if you go to sheer number of weaknesses and resistances, but I personally feel that's not a very big deal.

Edited by Cukeman, 04 June 2017 - 09:51 PM.

#10 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

I took my Tropius Worlds 2016 and had success with him.  Once Talonflame was out of the way (about 80% of teams had one >.>), he did some massive damage in doubles.  I'd Leech Seed, use Sitrus Berry, Harvest would proc (or I'd use Protect to get another chance at it), Leech Seed would do damage.  Substitute and just wait.  It was an annoying Pokemon to get rid off, as I put everything in his defenses.  Grass/Flying had some nice resists if you could get powerful ice attacks out of the way.

#11 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

Wow, my pokemon knowledge is not up-to-snuff anymore. I used to be able to name all of them too. :(

• thepsynergist and Cukeman like this

#12 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

Wow, my pokemon knowledge is not up-to-snuff anymore. I used to be able to name all of them too. :(

There's too many to keep up with, I'm just good with Google-fu.  Seriously though, there are 802, that's EIGHT-HUNDRED-AND-TWO Pokemon.

• Matthew likes this

#13 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:04 PM

In no particular order, Dark/Dragon/Steel/Water/Ghost
  • Binx likes this

#14 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

I've always been partial to Water and Steel. Where possible, I try to include them on my team because they usually have strong synergistic properties with the rest of my team.

#15 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

Probably Electric for me. Don't really have a proper reason, I just generally loved Electric Pokemon more than most other types. And Jolteon exists, which is one of my favourite Pokemon and is also Electric :P Pretty fun to have super fast speed and have Thunder just troll everyone lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users