Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4321 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

Got to the first credits in SM3DLand. It's a shame that much of the difficulty is artificial. What I mean by that is things the game does that are completely arbitrary:

1) You can press start to exit a level, but only if you're not in mid-air, I mean, sure it might be cheap to use it to escape a pit death, but it's just as cheap to use it to escape on oncoming fireball. I'm fine if you take out the option to exit entirely, but if it's there, don't make it conditional.

2) You can get a Tanooki Leaf by killing certain enemies, but that enemy won't drop another leaf until you re-enter the level. That doesn't make any logical sense.

3) There are no-return warp boxes that take you to the next part of the stage, the only reason those two parts of the stage are not adjacent to each other is so that you can't backtrack, if you missed something you have to start the whole level over from the beginning. I'm fine with completing the level in one go, but being able to backtrack doesn't make the level any easier.

4) Once in a while the camera moves while you're moving and that can mess you up. That's quite annoying.

While I can't really blame the game for this, sometimes I accidentally press R when things get hectic, and Mario butt-stomps into a pit

EDIT: I noticed the music sounds like the composer who did DK Jungle Beat in places, even some levels feel like they were taken from that game.

Edited by Cukeman, 18 June 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#4322 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

1) You can press start to exit a level, but only if you're not in mid-air, I mean, sure it might be cheap to use it to escape a pit death, but it's just as cheap to use it to escape on oncoming fireball. I'm fine if you take out the option to exit entirely, but if it's there, don't make it conditional.

This was a thing as far back as at least Super Mario World, though. In fact, I think every 3D Mario game works this way.

#4323 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

It works the other way in Super Mario Bros. on NES. Pausing the game while the other player is jumping over a pit so they lose their momentum LOL

• Ammako likes this

#4324 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

For what it was, the controls were passable, but now that the levels in SM3DLand are getting harder I'm finding the movement physics here to be the most aggravating since NES Castlevania. On the NES and SNES Mario could stop and turn around on a dime, here when you turn around you skid for a short distance. When you are jumping onto a narrow platform you're better off just landing at a straight drop, but years of platform games have imprinted the habit of turning around when you land to prevent skidding off the edge, however in this game turning around MAKES you skid off the edge when you wouldn't otherwise. GRRR!! A running jump always let you take a larger leap throughout the series, but it takes too much time/distance to build up momentum in this game, jumps I would easily make in other Mario games end up falling short because I didn't run enough first. Why is Mario taking longer to build up momentum? I've noticed it in his jumps too, there is a lag between when I press the button and when Mario breaks free of the seemingly magnetic floor and gets up into the air. I've been hit by projectiles that never would have landed in SMB 1, 3, or World. Yuck.

#4325 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Controls in SM3DL are weird because they're just a little bit different from the other 3D Mario games and for me it just feels a bit off. I'm not feeling any kind of lag between pressing the button and Mario jumping though.
I think they're probably fine on their own, it's just hard to get over how slightly different they are if you're played the other 3D games too much lol. Rather they had kept controls consistent but I mean I guess they can do whatever they want.

I should probably actually finish that game tbh... I've had it since I got my 3DS years ago, got to the post-game extra worlds but I never finished those.

Edited by Ammako, 21 June 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#4326 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

On special world 8 now. That spectre that chases you is a little demon. I'm sick of complaining about the physics, but one last thing I have to mention is losing all momentum when you shrink, it didn't slow you down that much in NES or SNES, I often get hit a second time and die just because the first hit brings you to a complete stop.

EDIT: Finished all the special levels, nothing happened except a save and a return to the title screen

Edited by Cukeman, 22 June 2017 - 01:07 AM.

#4327 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:54 AM

Playing more Golden Sun. I have to admit that the ocean voyage and following mission or two have been a period of more fun and interest, throwing in some diversity, cool enemies and a lot of new djinni options.  The dialogue is still boring and overwritten but at least these new subplots are more exciting. Just skimming the text not really paying attention is helping.

Also firing up Luigi's Mansion 2. I took a break after completing the first building. I miss the second analog stick, but other than that seems good.

Edited by Cukeman, 23 June 2017 - 06:55 AM.

#4328 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

I bought Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight during the Steam summer sale. I'm still working my way through Hollow Knight.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 23 June 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#4329 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Also firing up Luigi's Mansion 2. I took a break after completing the first building. I miss the second analog stick, but other than that seems good.

I should get back into that one at some point. I did the same thing pretty much, except I took a break after the second building instead.
I like it a lot more than the original, one of these instances where the sequel is so much better than the original. I mean I guess I can see the appeal of wandering around the mansion freely looking for stuff on your own, but the levels in Dark Moon have so much depth and variety to them, and so many more puzzles to accommodate for several episodes. It's great.

#4330 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

Somehow LM:DM feels very involved and makes me want to take breaks rather than do a lot in one sitting. I do get the impression that the missions are broken up into smaller chunks than the original game to better suit the portability of the 3DS, since saving is done after each main objective. At least I don't remember leaving the mansion this frequently in the first game.

This game does beg for a larger screen though, I don't have the XL screen, and some objects on the far side of the room (and some drawers) are difficult to make out since the camera is kind of zoomed out.

minor joke spoiler

Edited by Cukeman, 24 June 2017 - 05:41 PM.

• Ammako likes this

#4331 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

lmao yeah, I'd forgotten about that guy.

Can't say I've really thought about that second part, though. I've had an XL the whole time and, well, potentially because of that, I've never had any issues with that. :P

Speaking of XL, as someone who started with the DS Lite (well, as far as the DS line goes at least), I was a fan of the smaller form factor. Never had a DSi until a few months ago so I never had to make the choice between regular and XL, but I picked a regular-sized one 'cause I couldn't find black XLs. Would rather have had the XL now but the regular one is fine.

Got the original 3DS at the time, I was apprehensive of the N3DS because for some reason they decided to only release the XL version in NA. I insisted on having the smaller, original form factor I'd had since the Lite, because being much smaller = much more portable, lol. Fits into pockets better, etc., and also I had this carry pouch for the PSP and the Lite/3DS fit perfectly in it. Can't do that with the XL though... unless I found a bigger pouch, lol.

I got an XL a year and a half back looking for a secondhand new one, for various reasons. I could only find XLs so I was like, eh I'll just go for it. Never regretted it. The system fits my hands so much better, and I don't even have big hands. The bottom corners don't dig into my palms anymore, my index fingers rest perfectly on the shoulder buttons, thumbs perfectly on the circle pad/ABXY buttons, and the joint of my thumb is positioned perfectly for using the d-pad if I need/prefer to use it (though re-positioning my thumb to use the tip of it for the d-pad isn't too uncomfortable either.) L/R buttons sound so much quieter, and the Start+Select buttons are SO much better quality, it's insane. Also I like the 3D slider that clicks into the Off position, and the lack of "3D" green light that was always only distracting. Also a fan of the way top screen can lock into two different positions, to accommodate for having the 3DS sitting on my desk in front of me while i play something non-intensive.

Not as portable, but... nowadays I don't really have opportunities nor incentive to bring my 3DS outside, so that aspect doesn't bother me as much. It just sits on my desk and I use it while sitting at my computer haha.

Lately I've started a new game on Pokémon Y. I didn't like the team I had in my save file anymore, so I took some time to make a better one that I'd stick with and I've started over to use that team instead lol. I'm a little bit ocd about the details so I couldn't just change teams, I have to start a new file entirely (bunch of data gets saved in the save file about the Pokémon you've been using during your playthrough and I can't change it unless i start a new save, so yeah.)

Might take me some time to finish it because nowadays I have a hard time finding the motivation to play through games, especially turn-based RPGs, I tend to do a little bit at a time and then leave it until t he next time lol. But I'll get through it, and sometimes I just go on a binge and do a lot of it at once. Got 6 badges and I'm currently sitting at the ice cavern until I decide I want to continue, haha.

#4332 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

I remember saving my money ever since the original 3DS came out, and by the time I finally had enough money to buy it, the New 3DS had been released, or it was so close to release that I didn't see the point in buying the original model.

I'm still playing that thing all the time, and yeah, the size is a bit of a pain. It does fit in my front jeans pocket, but it's such a tight fit that it's uncomfortable when sitting down and takes a bit of effort to get in or out. I also absolutely hate how much effort it takes to mess with the SD card. The original 3DS has an easy-access slot for the SD card. The New 3DS uses MicroSD, and you have to unscrew the back plate from the system, as well as use the back of the stylus as a pry-pole in the little slots built into the sides of the plate to pry it off. I mess with homebrew and stuff on mine, so I'm always needing to take it out because of how slow the wireless manager is. I ended up accidentally breaking the screws, so only the latches that require the pry-pole hold the back-plate on now. It still fits together well, and you can't really tell that it's actually broken, but it's still a pain in the ass and I wish that I had the easy-access slot.

Still, I really enjoy a huge number of games that I've played on it, I love being able to just install games to it directly instead of carrying a bunch of physical games with me and possibly losing them, and it works great with emulators like RetroArch. Hell, I can even run a few PlayStation games on it fairly well. (Although there is room for improvement and the RetroArch developers seem to have no desire to work on the 3DS port any more.) I've never gotten motion sickness or any kind of eye strain from the 3D effect. The only reason that I don't use it all the time is that it knocks down the screen resolution. I kind of wish that they'd have kept the 3D idea with the Switch. The higher resolution on that thing would have looked beautiful with the 3D working.

#4333 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

Yeah, I guess 3D could have been nice on the switch. Though of course it'd only work when in handheld mode, unless they could make it compatible with 3D TVs. :P
Though imagine how stupidly more expensive that would have made it. Think I prefer it how it already is haha.

Before the 3DS came out and before I got one I was telling people I wasn't gonna be using the 3D and people were making fun of me for saying that like I was some kind of idiot and I was gonna be using the 3D anyway, don't know why people can't accept that different people have different interests.

Never use the 3D, only time I really turn it on is when my hands are bored and I mess with the slider lmao. Sometimes I'll turn it on out of curiosity, like "what does it look like in 3D?" then turn it back off a second later.
I found that turning on the 3D during the egg hatching sequence on Pokémon OR/AS and tilting the 3DS a bit to the side gives the screen some weird effect that really hurts my eyes but is neat to look at.

#4334 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

I would use the 3D feature, however you have to be positioned in an exactly perfect position for the effect to work correctly. The New Nintendo 3DS introduced a new configuration for the 3D technology where it uses a front-camera to adapt the viewing angle to the position of your eyes but the camera seems to fail abysmally at tracking my eyes presumably because I wear glasses so this configuration is useless to me :/

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 25 June 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#4335 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

I just started Persona 5 earlier and it is spectacular.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users