Photo

Map of the Month 74

Shane

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 74 (39 member(s) have cast votes)

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more ______.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

Binx
A land in peril, where a prophecy states that a band of otherworldly heroes will rise to save us all... Wait, who are these guys? Sunday Funeral? Oh.... We're in trouble.

Shane
Novalin from Sanctuary Tree
  • Joelmacool likes this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

Man, both look pretty darn great.

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

This is a really tough contest.

Binx - Very nice map. I especially love the elevation in this map. Screen design is very nice too and everything looks well made. Great job.

Shane - Fantastic map. I really love how this looks. Each area looks unique in their own way and I would love to explore this map in-game.

I voted for Shane, but both maps were really good this month.

• Shane likes this

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

It's either Shane wanted to go with a water theme for the sake of just water, or he discovered how to make a great overworld. Good overworlds take advantage of depth, and the almost island-like design does just that

Binx's image looks great, but from a gameplay perspective, I don't see much walking space. I was guilty for this high elevated design with Souls of Wisdom. It's pretty, but it it just leaves for a lot of the screen being wasted on mountain tiles. This is depth to the extreme and is an example of how too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Also, just like Souls of Wisdom, I assume this will be a multi-map quest so you can afford to waste a bunch of screens to mountain tiles. Which is fine for the quest you're designing. Though, from a motm perspective, this map has issues.

Voted for Shane.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 01 April 2016 - 07:07 AM.

• Shane likes this

#5 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:57 PM

oh, my.

I went with Shane but it was REALLY close. good stuff, kids!
  • Shane likes this

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Shane's is prettier, but I voted Binx because his map has a bit more variety. Both great.

• Binx likes this

#7 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

Normaly I would vote for the good GB-style-map, but Binx map is too great to not vote for it. ^^

Shanes map is very nice too! :)

• Binx likes this

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

This was really tough, but I voted for Binx.  His overworld has a lot more variety and to be quite honest, it is refreshing to see something that isn't GB Zelda, especially with how heavily modified Koten is here.  Shane is an excellent designer, but one thing that strikes me about his overworld is that there is a lot of repetition and it stands out looking at the big picture.  Knowing that Sanctuary Tree is a smaller project makes this more forgivable and understandable, but Binx's has so much more to it- a massive cliff area, a long stretching beach, a castle town, smaller villages placed here and there, a swamp, and islands... it makes the world feel a lot larger and grand, especially knowing that this isn't even the final product.

At the end of it all, regardless of who wins this, you're both damn good at what you do.

• Binx likes this

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

Well, it's been over a week, may as well put my two cents in (nulled, since I'm competing)

Wow, Shane, That is a hell of a map. It's really gorgeous. Well-made, the detail level is wonderful... but, like has been said, it kinda lacks variety. I just see myself finishing an area, moving on and thinking "oh, another forest. charming." I think, for me, a big part of it is that, while you changed the colors, you used the same combos for all your trees, so every area looks just like the other areas, but in a different palette. I think you would have blown me out of the water, with just a couple small changes to break up the fairly monotonous terrain.

It's either Shane wanted to go with a water theme for the sake of just water, or he discovered how to make a great overworld. Good overworlds take advantage of depth, and the almost island-like design does just that

Binx's image looks great, but from a gameplay perspective, I don't see much walking space. I was guilty for this high elevated design with Souls of Wisdom. It's pretty, but it it just leaves for a lot of the screen being wasted on mountain tiles. This is depth to the extreme and is an example of how too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Also, just like Souls of Wisdom, I assume this will be a multi-map quest so you can afford to waste a bunch of screens to mountain tiles. Which is fine for the quest you're designing. Though, from a motm perspective, this map has issues.

Voted for Shane.

Actually, the exact same thought occurred to me, while I was designing the map (especially after the debacle with the Death Mountain and Zora's River areas in Trials of the Gods), which is why I playtested the entire map for walkability, maneuverability, and capacity for enemies before I finished an area. Trust me, there's plenty of walking space, especially when you consider this is about half of the final overworld, and that most of the cliffside is covered in secrets, optional exploration areas and intricate cave systems. I just couldn't include them, because they're technically not part of a contiguous overworld.

All bias aside (or as much as I can muster), I'd probably still vote for mine, if I were voting; but Shane's is certainly amazing (I would say giving me a run for my money, but as of this post, he's stayed pretty consistently 1 vote ahead of me, so it would probably be more accurate to say that I'm giving *him* a run for his money). And hell, even if I lose this, at least I can hold my head high and say that my overworld map doesn't suck nearly as hard as it did in the last quest I tried to put together.

• Shane likes this

#10 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

This is close, but I'm rolling with the Binx. The elevation honestly, for me was the deciding factor. It's that close.

Binx

Both were strong

#11 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

Voting totals:
- Binx (17 votes [47.22%])
- Shane (19 votes [52.78%])

Shane wins Map of the Month 74 with a nice Game-Boy-style map of Novalin. Congrats! :)
  • Shane likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users