Photo

Zelda Classic on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to really get a clean fullscreen experience using ZC's internal fullscreen in Windows 10. But there are workarounds to fake it somewhat by mirroring the window with another application and making that mirror fullscreen.

1. Use OnTopReplica to mirror the window.

https://ontopreplica.codeplex.com/

Disadvantages: The big downside with this one is that you need multiple monitors, otherwise you're not really going to be able to control ZC and have the real window out of view at the same time (OnTopReplica's fullscreen mode oddly doesn't stay on top). The smaller downside is that you may have some blurry video depending on how small the original ZC window is because the scaling being used by OnTopReplica is the same scaling used for window thumbnails in the task view and taskbar. While it's pretty high quality, it wasn't designed for nearest neighbor scaling. Also you can't really use the mouse for anything without using the actual ZC window.

Open ZC and set OnTopReplica to mirror ZC's window. Double click on OnTopReplica and it should zoom to an almost fullscreen mode. Right click and go to Mode and select Fullscreen. Now alt-tab or click back to ZC.

If the taskbar is showing up, you may want to enable auto-hiding for it in Windows' settings.

2. Use OBS's projector/fullscreen preview to mirror the window.

https://obsproject.com/

Disadvantages: You can't use the mouse for anything without using the actual ZC window. Also if you use OBS for actual recording, you'll probably want to have a different settings profile for this.

I know it's crazy to use full blown streaming software just to mirror a window, but I've found a surprising lack of window mirror utilities on the internet.

Unlike the OnTopReplica method, OBS's preview is always on top when you do a fullscreen preview. This means that even if you alt-tab to ZC, OBS will still be on top. OBS also gives you more control over making the image look better.

You will want to set OBS to 60 FPS in the Video settings. If you don't plan to do any recordings or streaming on this OBS profile, you should also check "Disable Encoding while Previewing" in the Advanced Options. After that, open ZC and set OBS to capture ZC's window. Click Preview Stream and make sure ZC is showing up. Right click on the preview and select "Fullscreen Preview Mode". Alt-tab back to ZC and OBS should still be on top, but ZC's keyboard and joystick controls should work. When you want to leave OBS fullscreen preview, right click and uncheck the option.

If the taskbar is showing up, you may want to enable auto-hiding for it in Windows' settings.

3. Instead of mirroring the window, use CinemaDrape to hide what you don't want to look at.

http://www.aurelify.com/cinemadrape/

Disadvantages: You're gonna have black space around the window no matter how large you make it since both Windows and ZC have limits on how large windowed mode will go for various resolutions.

But maybe that's better than looking at other stuff if you don't want to fiddle with any of the other options.

Open ZC then open CinemaDrape and cut out a hole for ZC's window to fit in.

---

I know these methods are super hacky, not perfect, and take some setup before each ZC session, but that's about all I could find that works smoothly at the moment.

Edited by Nick, 18 August 2015 - 05:05 PM.
Added CinemaDrape since I remembered that...

#17 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Well I upgraded today.  From what I've seen, it's better.  A normal start menu, yay.

#18 Beefy

Beefy

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Ever since I switched to linux I have never had a problem running zelda classic 2.5 at least running from the exacutable zelda-l. If you guys are having problems running in fullscreen you could always install virtualbox on your windows machine and install maybe lubuntu which is a light weight ubuntu variant which will run better in virtualization and go to fullscreen in that then you can play in fullscreen with no bugs. If it doesn't work out just remove virtualbox from windows no real loss.

#19 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

So i bought  a new laptop and it came with Windows 10. Wanted to play a bit and noticed the strobe light thing is still happening in fullscreen. Has anybody found a fix besides the ones mentioned in this thread?

#20 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

As far as I'm aware, going into Windowed mode is the only way. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I'm noticing there are a few other problems with Windows 10 and ZQuest. For instance, setting an item in a room to (none) is an instant crash. I forget which shortcut it was, but another time I just tried to open up either the item or enemy selection menu and again, crash. I did change to compatibility mode, but haven't tested. However, from past experience, compatibility mode is a joke and does little if anything. I also seem to notice in Windowed mode in ZC it sometimes gets a bit of lag, although the FPS remains at 59-60 the entire time I have it up. I'm running it at 960x720 because you're crazy if you think I'm going to try straining my eyes looking at a tiny 320x240 window at 1080p resolution.

Thankfully, other than that, I'm running ZC and ZQuest fine so far.

#21 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

As far as I'm aware, going into Windowed mode is the only way. I could be wrong though.

I'd just use the fix I did with Windows 8, which is the most efficient, and only requires doing it once:

Install this program, by our very own BFeely.

https://www.williamf....info/wiki/DXGL

Once installed, add Zelda Classics program file and hit apply. Then test again.

#22 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

Wow, it somehow got worse. Now ZC crashes right away when it goes fullscreen in Windows 10.

• Deedee likes this

#23 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:11 AM

Wow, it somehow got worse. Now ZC crashes right away when it goes fullscreen in Windows 10.

Ahhhh, just like the good old days. :)

#24 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Did you try my fix?

#25 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Just a heads-up. Due to a recent update to Windows 10 (which "upgraded" xinputhid.sys) released on March 2, ZC will not accept any mouse or keyboard input if an XBox One gamepad is connected, whether wired or wireless. You have to unplug the controller to get ZC to work with mouse and keyboard, and at that point you can't plug the gamepad back in to use it. Your only alternative if you have an XBone controller at the moment is to uninstall the offending update (which bricked my Windows installation, so I had to do a system restore) or use something like Xpadder or Joy2Key.

This same Windows update also causes issues with Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas, and GTA 5. It probably affects other games.

This doesn't affect 360 gamepads.

#26 mystery

mystery

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

Thank You for that Fix.

That amazingly fixed the Window 10 flickering Resolution problem.

Just wanted to mention also that one also has to click on properties of the Zelda.exe file after adding it into the DXGL file. (Whoda thought it was

a legacy graphics compatibility problem.) and set the compatibility there for Window 7 or what works.

#27 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

Install this program, by our very own BFeely.

Once installed, add Zelda Classics program file and hit apply. Then test again.

I only decided to try this now and it actually works. I can play in fullscreen now. Dunno why i only tried this now, i can be really lazy.

Edited by Norzan, 06 May 2016 - 01:09 PM.

• Deedee likes this

#28 Torgar

Torgar

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

Well I didnt read every post but when I installed ZC on my new PC (win10) i get a weird graphic glitch on the title screen and it persists thru it. Its a really odd, colored mess of a blotch on the left side of the screen. Screenshot could not be taken 

#29 Torgar

Torgar

• Members

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

I'd just use the fix I did with Windows 8, which is the most efficient, and only requires doing it once:

What exactly do i have to do after i download DXGL? there is a bunch of files in it. (im a lil computer stupid)  :P

#30 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

I think you have to run the main file (probably either DXGL.exe or something of the like). Then you just find ZC in the program and add it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users