New Dungeons! They Can't Be Returning Actually

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

As of yesterday a new beta has gone up for Randomizer Returns. At long lost, all the planned dungeons are finished. Returns is now 18 quests in one, plus all the randomizing of course. And like before, there is a custom item per dungeon set. With 21 of them, the odds of seeing the same item twice in a low should be pretty low. Actual odds of starting with a custom item is 50%.

With no more plans for dungeons, I'll now be focusing future updates on mechanics. So, a randomizer for all the hint text, more cave types as discussed before, and more items. I plan to add variations to the sword/wand/hammer upgrades that have interesting features instead of just high damage, such as the Magical Sword being replaced by one of the fancy swords seen in other randomizers. Other item upgrades may or may not get this treatment, depending on how difficult it is too script additional features to them(I know boomerangs are the bane of many scripters here).

In the meantime, this beta may actually be a good candidate for a 1.1 release, considering the original plan was an update with just the BS Zelda Overworld and 7 dungeons, and this also has the Outlands Overworld with 7 additional dungeons. That would make the features listed above for a 1.2 update.

And to address one requested feature, I can have more overworlds. The thing is, the way a random overworld works right now takes advantage of having up to 4 warps from a single screen, so 4 overworlds works great. Just look at one of the hidden modes, it takes full advantage of random warps. A 5th world would start a new set of 4 warps, and would also mean the randomizer needs to keep track of which set of 4 worlds it is referencing (not really that hard), especially when playing in that hidden mode (a bit harder). Considering the small, but potentially quest breaking changes, I think having more overworlds would also work better for a 1.2 update feature, rather than delaying the 1.1 update for more extensive testing.

Ironically, while there are no plans to add more dungeons, it would not be too difficult to add up to another 7 sets given how things are already set up. And for those wondering why 7, what is 7 times 9? Now double that (2 items per dungeon), and compare that value to a certain power of 2.
  • Anthus, antwan4000, Evan20000 and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users