Intro Text Box

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Is there a way to add a text box around the text that first appears when you enter an area? Or a way to change it's color to something else instead of white?

#2 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Is there a way to add a text box around the text that first appears when you enter an area? Or a way to change it's color to something else instead of white?

If you use the tab Appearance in the edit Dmap and Dmap title then no.

For that one i use a signpost script.

Edited by judasrising, 14 January 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#3 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Okay! Sounds easy enough. Thanks!

#4 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

You can also show it in your passive subscreen if you want to use several copies of it.

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

I just make a door repair and use a string that gives out the area name. The fee being 0 means there should be no effect on gameplay other than displaying that string once and only once. Only downside is that you can on only have one entrance or at least force the player to enter a certain entrance first.

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#6 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

I'll be using both these ideas in my quest. Thank you!

#7 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

The built-in intro string functionality is pretty hardcoded. Instead of using it, I always just use a simple script to display a string from the strings list. In order to prevent it from showing up more than once (you probably won't want it to do that), use the Screen->D[] variable to register that the intro string has been displayed for this particular screen.

Edited by Jamian, 14 January 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

I just make a door repair and use a string that gives out the area name. The fee being 0 means there should be no effect on gameplay other than displaying that string once and only once. Only downside is that you can on only have one entrance or at least force the player to enter a certain entrance first.

This is one of the most hackish solutions to a ZC problem I've heard yet and I kinda like it. Almost makes me miss the days when I didn't know how to script and had to try to come up with clever stuff like this.
  • Shane likes this

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

I use an area intro ffc, that can be set to display one time, or each time the player revisits the screen when they return to the game after saving. I might add a box to draw,a nd font properties to the dmap settings at some point, to being these string displays in line with the string editor.

Need to add translucent dialogue boxes, and text shadows at some point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users