Photo

Enemy of the Month #19: Wind Theme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Enemy of the Month #19 - Wind Theme (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Overall Enemy

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Useful Enemy

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Creative Enemy

Vote

#1 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:39 AM

Welcome to Enemy of the Month #19!

This month, the theme was wind, so you had to make an enemy somewhat related to wind! We have some pretty interesting enemies this month. Please look through the enemies and vote honestly and fairly. Submit your votes for the following categories:

• Best Overall Enemy: The best overall enemy this month.
  • Most Useful Enemy: The most useful enemy this month that everyone can/could use in their quest.
  • Most Creative Enemy: The most creative enemy designed this month.

YouTube Video Link
To watch all these enemies in action without downloading any of the enemies, click on the following link: https://www.youtube....h?v=uqGLU5QFOSs

All Enemies Download Link
If you wish to download all the enemies in one get go, click on the following link. This is done so that you don't have to download all the enemies individually: https://www.mediafir...8jjdjzl1wydgdnn

The Enemies
Here is all the information and download links for the enemies this month.

Zephas - Moosh

• Enemy Name: Zephas
  • Description: Also known as the Knight of the North Wind, Zephas hails from a land doomed to stagnation: a cancelled quest. His three comrades representing the other three elements died in a horrific...not actually...being finished...accident? Moosh didn't even bother to come up with names for them. But now that he's competing in Enemy of the Month, maybe it's Zephas' time to shine?
  • Version of ZQuest: 2.5.0
  • Quest Filehttps://www.dropbox....Zephas.zip?dl=0

Suck to Blow - Lejes

• Enemy Name: Suck to Blow
  • Description: She's gone from suck to blow!
  • Version of ZQuest: 2.50.2
  • Quest File: Demo Quest

Vaati - Dimentio

• Enemy Name: Vaati
  • Description: So, I was going to make an amazing enemy to counter that thing Moosh made, but I got lazy. Anyways, the wind god of wind god-iness's and wind mages of gods ™ has 2 forms, the first of which was made mostly by ywkls, with some tweaks made by me. That's not the highlight, and I personally found that boss unfair, but the second phase relies on the first phase and I was too lazy to change that. The second phase is all me, and is the real highlight here, for some reason. I don't know. Give it a try, maybe? TL;DR Have a windy day
  • Version of ZQuest: 2.50.2 (should work on 2.50 though, probably not 2.50.1 though)
  • Quest File: https://dl.dropboxus...3/vaatitrue.qst

Thank you to everyone who submitted! Now go and vote guys! Thank you and see you in the next EotM competition!   :)

#2 Shane

Shane

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

Zephas wins best overall as it looks pretty fun and challenging while maintaining simplicity. I would say Vaati came close second for its epic and climatic battle and cool effects, but I see Zephas being more versatile. Most useful and creative goes to Suck to Blow for being an enemy that seems to potentially work with all kinds of puzzles that revolve around jumping or ground based obstacles and potentially fire puzzles. Also pretty creative since it's not an established Zelda villain or just a knight with a basic element, right? :P

Good enemies all around, I liked them all.

• Lunaria likes this

#3 Lunaria

Lunaria

Can't draw 8bit!

• Banned

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:23 AM

So two bosses and one regular/puzzle enemy? Mmmmkay.

To me, sucks to blow is the one that is the most practical to insert in a quest, and probably follows the theme the best. I could definitively see myself using it, and having this enemy does open up design space(!).

The other two are bosses, which is mostly the case of insert and forget, if you get what I mean? They are not bad, in fact, they are both quite interesting in their own right. Though Moosh's enemy does at least thematically work better with the theme of the contest. If I didn't know how Vaati was in other games then I could not have guesses that this was supposed to be a wind themed boss. In contrast, the Vaati battle in the original four swords uses the wind theme much more than this fight does. (And is actually a heck of a lot more dynamic than this fight. :P )
  • Dimentio likes this

#4 Maikeru D. Shinigami

Maikeru D. Shinigami

Piper of the Essences

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

Moosh:
This was definitely very nice. It was a pretty basic idea. Humanoid boss wind wizard guy or something. But the execution is well done and it seems fun. It's also a pretty useful boss I could see being thrown in many quests as a boss. Simply cause there's a limited number of choices with wind.

Lejes:
In my opinion, this was the best in all three categories. I go with best overall a tad over Zephas, as I feel it's just the best all around. Practical, well thought out and very useful. I actually wanna see this in database if it isn't already as I might use one in one of my quests eventually. When I stop being worn out from work. I still see it as most creative too. I mean it is just a blob, but a blob with excellent execution.

Dimentio:
As a battle itself, this looks fair enough, maybe could be a tad easier. But not so much that it detracts overall. My big issue is that even though Vaati is the Wind Mage, I don't really see it in the battle. The boss is pretty useful for any Vaati fan. But I just wanted more wind.

Giving every category to Lejes.

P.S. A few questions.

1. How do you do the sucking and blowing?

2. How long does it usually take for each new theme discussion thread to be posted? Just wondering cause I wouldn't mind trying to take a whack at this.

Edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami, 27 June 2016 - 04:55 AM.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

• Database Staff

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

2. How long does it usually take for each new theme discussion thread to be posted? Just wondering cause I wouldn't mind trying to take a whack at this.

Usually a few days or so after the poll has been created. The next one might be made pretty soon since I already have something in mind.

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

I feel somewhat obligated to vote for Vaati in all categories, since it was created for my quest.

It should also be noted that the script used for this wasn't the final version, probably because I never sent the revised one to Dimentio.

You could honestly say this is a collaborative effort, since I came up with the idea and most of the behavior of the first form while Dimentio did the second one.

The first form has four different weaknesses depending on the time of day shown in the background. The game doesn't tell you this, so you're kind of forced to figure it out on your own. 

There's also a wind-based attack you never got to see in the second form, Eddy.

Since this is an optional extra hard last boss, I don't feel that it's too difficult; really. Now my thoughts on the others.

Moosh- I'd probably use this guy as a secret boss in a quest at some point. I might tone down his health and strength a bit first, though.

Lejes- I don't know if I'd use this thing or not. I'd have to fiddle around with it some and see what my options are.

Very good job all around!

Edited by ywkls, 27 June 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

Best Overall Enemy: Zephas by Moosh

Most Useful Enemy: Suck to Blow by Pervert

Most Creative Enemy: Vaati by Dimentio

I gotta give a good shout out to Dimentio for his improvement. He's really doing a good job with scripting and even pulling off a style that is similar to Moosh. However, I do notice some gameplay quirks and just general sloppiness in how this boss is executed. There's more rules to a good boss other than flashy scripts, but it was still fun to watch. :P 

• Cukeman and ywkls like this

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

The wind dude seems really solid, but apart from using cyclone sprites instead of fireball sprites, I can't tell whether or not it's simply a reskin of a previous boss you've made. I think its neat when he tosses you a heart, that's cool. And, while not relevant to the combat design, the dialogue is amusing.

The enemy that draws you near and pushes you away is really neat. The third effect of wind that lifts you up seems kind of random, like it should belong to a different enemy. With just the first two effects, I can see these enemies being used in rooms with narrow paths over large pits. Personally, I think I'd use an enemy that just draws you near as a black-hole/vortex enemy in rooms that also have blowing fans. Or an enemy that draws you near could be a water vortex (swimming hazard) if you turned off its hitbox and made it a stationary enemy over a warp tile. Or one of these enemies could be spawned by a boss, drawing you near to make it harder to avoid their projectile, or pushing you away in a room bordered with spikes. Great stuff!

The Vaati boss has some really neat attacks, but it lacks a pattern to make it consistent and to help make it clear what's going on, what you are supposed to do, and what phase of the battle you're in. It could use just a few small changes like pausing between phases and maybe some visual or audio cue to let you know he's about to attack in a certain way. It's kind of hard to tell what's going on, but I really liked this boss, and think it would be fantastic if it was just refined a little. Also, it's kind of fun to see some of my item sprites in use.

#9 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

In my opinion, this was the best in all three categories. I go with best overall a tad over Zephas, as I feel it's just the best all around. Practical, well thought out and very useful. I actually wanna see this in database if it isn't already as I might use one in one of my quests eventually. When I stop being worn out from work. I still see it as most creative too. I mean it is just a blob, but a blob with excellent execution.

I might actually take less than a year to get this one in the database, for a change. A preview of some of the features being prepared for the final version:

// ENEMY EDITOR MISC ATTRIBUTES
// Attr. 1: CSet for suck, -1 to disable suck
// Attr. 2: CSet for blow, -1 to disable blow
// Attr. 3: CSet for wind, -1 to disable wind
// Attr. 4: 1 to cycle through non-disabled attacks instead of randomizing
// Attr. 5: 1 to render enemy immobile
// Attr. 6: 1 to turn off collision detection (enemy is invincible and unable to damage player)
// Attr. 7: lower bound for random attack interval timer, defaults to 90 when Attributes 7 and 8 are both 0
// Attr. 8: upper bound for random attack interval timer, defaults to 150 when Attributes 7 and 8 are both 0
// Attr. 9: continuous attack mode, attack interval timers are ignored, no CSet flash warning, non-disabled attacks are continuously used (pair with immobile recommended)

P.S. A few questions.

1. How do you do the sucking and blowing?

The script is in the buffer of the demo quest, if you really want to see the nitty gritty of how it's done. Short version: use vector math to add components of the wind strength to Link's X and Y every frame, while checking for solidity so he doesn't get pushed into walls.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

No fun allowed

• Database Staff

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

The wind dude seems really solid, but apart from using cyclone sprites instead of fireball sprites, I can't tell whether or not it's simply a reskin of a previous boss you've made.

He also has the attack where he summons wind that pushes you against the back wall and one more attack that Eddy didn't showcase in his video. I did try my best to tie the enemy into the theme, but working with the wind theme without making something dumb is a little hard since most associate it with the forbidden weapon type. But Zephas is indeed an original creation.

• Cukeman likes this

#11 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

So I finally got around to playing the other two entries. I liked Zephas a lot. The sword doing triple damage, but all of Zephas's attacks owning you if you stayed close was a good dynamic. I had to figure out when I could safely sword him to win, because I couldn't manage it with the wand alone. Moosh knows how to keep players on their toes, as usual.

Vaati, I wasn't as big a fan of. As others mentioned, aside from his backstory, he doesn't really fit the theme, and he's a huge HP sponge besides. I must have put 200+ hits into him, but still died in the second phase when the timer ran out. None of the attacks felt super threatening. The biggest danger was him teleporting on top of you. First phase's laser attack was also annoying, with not being able to hit him during it and being required to switch to feather to dodge it.

#12 Eddy

Eddy

• Database Staff

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:28 AM

And here are the winners of #19!

Best Overall Enemy: Zephas - Moosh

Most Useful Enemy: Suck to Blow - Lejes

Most Creative Enemy: Suck to Blow - Lejes

So congrats to the winners of this month and stay tuned for #20 coming in the next few days or so!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users