16 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

It's the most wonderful time of the year to ask this question~

My ear drums are ringing, from all of that singing,

Is it the end of the year..? yet?~   *ahem*, so that last part may have been a bit off key.

How do you all feel about Christmas music? Love it? Hate it? Don't care? Wish there was more Hanukkah music? Where I work, they play a station that plays Christmas music from literally, the day after Thanksgiving, through to the new year. You'd think I would hate it by now, no? Well, tbh, I kinda ignore it after a while. It is a change in pace from the usual stuff they repeat, so there's that. I do like Christmas music though, just in smaller doses, and to anyone who might be curious, yes, I celebrate Christmas :P

Some of my favorites are "Carol of the Bells", "Blue Christmas", That one song by Wham/ George Michael that Taylor Swift ruined, "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer" (which they actually don't play, at least I haven't heard it yet), and that one Chuck Berry Christmas song.

How about you? What are some of your favorites?

(The reason I mention that I celebrate Christmas is cause, irl, a lot of people ask me if I'm Jewish cause of my last name. Not that it matters lol.)

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

I have an odd relationship with Christmas music. When I worked retail, it played all the time and I got thoroughly sick of it. Now, enough years have passed that it doesn't bother me so much, but my general attitude is still ... It's alright, but is it really so good that I should be hearing it for a month and a half straight? The songs are all okay, but hardly so charming that I need to hear them multiple times every single year. I guess I appreciate Christmas music best when it's used sparingly.

Also, I'm going to steal Christmas because my heart is too damned small.

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:24 PM

I currently work in a store, and I'll let you know how my Grinch origin story fan novel goes. :P
  • Aevin likes this

#4 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

I worked retail for roughly 7 years, and I did get very tired of hearing it. I'm still never to thrilled to hear it, but I do find it enjoyable on Christmas day when the family is together.

#5 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

It only takes a few days of NOTHING but Christmas music before I lose it. What's worse is hearing the SAME SONG 2-3 times an hour. One version of Rocking Around the Christmas Tree being sung by a female, 20 minutes later same song, just different beat and sung by a male instead. I could understand if it's like 1-2 weeks from Christmas, but it starts THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING, and it very quickly overstays its welcome. At least start it in December. My only salvation is that I can't actually hear any of the music in the produce prep room, so I'm only subject to it when I'm on the floor, using the bathroom or taking lunch. Thank goodness I only have to listen to it a few more days. Seriously, I wouldn't touch Christmas songs with a 39 and a half foot long pole if I didn't have to.

• Anthus likes this

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

I haven't even heard a single Christmas song yet (fortunately!!) this year and I'm already sick of them...

I only like it on Christmas day. I personally can't stand hearing the songs and seeing the adverts for an entire month and a bit, are you trying to make me sick of Christmas before it even happens? :( Fortunately this year since I've become a hermit I wasn't taken Christmas shopping, I was spared the music.

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

I guess I'm incredibly fortunate, as I work retail and have gotten by without hearing a single Christmas song. :D Actually, I don't think I've heard a single Christmas song this year at all. (Though I did get to see various holiday merchandise stocked out in August. >_>)

Not a fan of most Christmas songs, honestly. Except the Grinch. I've always liked that one. :P

#8 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

I would be fine with Christmas music, but I hear it everywhere, and my whole family sings along with it, and I really need noise-cancelling headphones for Christmas...

#9 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:56 AM

I am not a fan of it in general and I especially hate the one from wham. That song is one of my main reasons to not listen radio music, though I don't listen music very often in general.
  • Anthus likes this

#10 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

You don't like George Michael?  BOO!

:blah:

Only one side of my family celebrates Christmas, and I don't really miss it all that much.  When I was a kid, we didn't do much beyond putting up and decorating the tree, and gifts.  I also get sick of Christmas songs due to hearing them too much.

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

I don't really mind listening to Christmas songs, but I do agree that they can get quite annoying sometimes after listening to them all the time.

My college loves to put on Christmas music everyday at the entrance since December started so you can imagine what that must feel like after a while :P

#12 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

I love Christmas music, but I guess that's because I only hear it for about 2 weeks every year so it's a change and also brings back memories. 

Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt is one of the best for me, let it snow by dean martin and very shamefully I admit, I love Mariah Careys "All I want for christmas" even though I do not like any other songs by her. 

#13 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

As long as there isn't a quartet outside my house getting ready to sing jingle bells over and over again until I give them something, I'm fine. :)

• Eddy likes this

#14 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

I enjoy Christmas music when it's sung by, say, Billie Holiday, as an excuse to listen to Billie Holiday.  Apart from that, I'm generally neutral unless there's just too much of it.  We have started playing it at work but we didn't start until halfway into December so it hasn't been too unbearable.  I really can't stand when it starts in November, like goddamn Christmas does not need to be a two month holiday.

Well, there was one thing that was odd at work- a rock remix of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."  Personally, I can't wait for the hip-hop version of "Santa Baby," or perhaps the soothing death metal version of "Silent Night."

#15 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

Are you guys crazy?! I've worked retail for years and still never get tired of them! Whenever I hear Frosty The Snowman come on I either squeal or get super excited! I love most of the songs, I don't have too many favorites though.

Does anyone know that movie Annabelle's Wish? It's a children's Christmas movie, and it had some great music. Very heartstring-pulling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users