IoR style boomerang rooms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

I'm looking for a room similar to what you'd see in Isle of Rebirth where hitting a target with the boomerang would cause certain tiles to change (example: spikes to ascend or descend). I heard this could be accomplished with tiered secrets, but I believe that has a bit of a buggy side with it. Heck, I think even IoR had an issue where you had to hit the target a bunch of times to get it right, but I think Forbidden City executed this without issue. 

I'd prefer it in a way where you don't have to hit the target a bunch of times, that's why I decided to come here to ask instead.

(Update: Actually, I think IoR did it right, as this was a puzzle I believe was in HoD, and that's the one that was buggy. My memory might not be serving me justice here).

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

I'm looking for a room similar to what you'd see in Isle of Rebirth where hitting a target with the boomerang would cause certain tiles to change (example: spikes to ascend or descend). I heard this could be accomplished with tiered secrets, but I believe that has a bit of a buggy side with it. Heck, I think even IoR had an issue where you had to hit the target a bunch of times to get it right, but I think Forbidden City executed this without issue. 

I'd prefer it in a way where you don't have to hit the target a bunch of times, that's why I decided to come here to ask instead.

You mean something like the bridges in the white sword minidungeon in IoR? You have the right idea with tiered secrets, but you need to have the "triggered" combo (the one it switches to when it gets triggered) be a combo that cycles back to the original trigger combo, and give the original trigger combo an inherent boomerang trigger flag.

How long the delay to cycle back depends on how safe you want to play it, but a good idea is a delay long enough for the boomerang to pass through it entirely after triggering it without triggering it again if the boomerang was on the opposite side of the switch from Link. Might also be a good idea to check "restart animation upon being cycled to on the triggered combo (or, have the trigger combo be a combo that immediately cycles to a "delay" combo with whatever cycle time you want and "restart cycle" checked, and have that cycle back to the first combo. This ensures that ZC doesn't try to skip any time and potentially cause the boomerang to trigger twice).

• Avaro likes this

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

I mean the rooms where there is often a trigger in the center of the room, and you have to hit it a bunch of times going around to lower and raise a bunch of different spikes while making your way around the room. 

One of these rooms is actually in the dungeon you mentioned. 

Either way, I'll try to use the tiered secret approach. I have yet to even use tiered secrets before, so I guess it's about time I start learning soon. 

• Deedee likes this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

/// Custom item Trigger for Spike Rooms
/// By: ZoriaRPG
/// Requested by NJF
/// 16th May, 2017
/// v0.2

//D0: The lweapon type to use to trigger. Use the lweapon constants in std.zh for this value.
//D1: The flag to use. 100 is Script_5. 
//D2: The combo to change all flagged tiles into. If set to '0' , all flagged combos will advance by one, 
//	as combo->Next combos.
//D3: The duration of your combo animation in cycle, for the changed combos. 
//	If they do not revert on a timer, set this to 0.
//D4: if this is set to 1, the combos will also be changed when the timer expires, not merely the flags. 
//D5: Sound to play when triggered.`

ffc script changetiles{
	void run(int item_trigger, int flag, int change_into, int revert_time, int change_combos, int sfx) {
		lweapon l; int q[2]; bool triggered; int locs[176]; int cmbs[176];
		while(true){
			if ( !triggered ) { 
				q[0] = Screen->NumLWeapons(); 
				for ( ; q[0] > 0; q[0]-- ) { 
					l = Screen->LoadLWeapon(q[0]);
					if ( l->ID == item_trigger ) {
						if ( Collision(l,this) ) {
							if ( sfx > 0 ) Gsame->PlaySound(sfx);
							for ( q[1] = 0; q[1] < 176; q[1]++ ) {
								if ( change_combos ) { cmbs[q[1]] = Screen->ComboD[q[1]]; }
								if ( Screen->ComboF[q[1]] == flag ) {
									if ( change_into > 0 ) Screen->ComboD[q[1]] = change_into;
									else Screen->ComboD[q[1]]++; 

locs[q[1]] = Screen->ComboF[q[1]]; //Save the flag. 
									Screen->ComboF[q[1]] = 0; 

}
							}
							triggered = true; 
						}
					}
				}
			}
			if ( revert_time > 0 ) { 
				if ( triggered ) { 
					int time_revert = revert_time; 
					while(time_revert--) {
						Waitframe();
					}
					//Revert the flags
					for ( q[1] = 0; q[1] < 176; q[1]++ ) {
						if ( locs[q[1]] > 0 ) { 
							Screen->ComboF[q[1]] = locs[q[1]]; 
							locs[q[1]] = 0; 
						}
						if ( change_combos ) { Screen->ComboD[q[1]] = cmbs[q[1]]; }
					}
					triggered = false;

}
			}
			Waitframe();
		}
	}
}
This may do what you want.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 16 May 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#5 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:35 AM

I'm not entirely sure what puzzle you mean, but if you want the combos to change back automatically after a certain amount of time, then I definitely recommend using a script. 

It is difficult, and wonky, to have perfectly timed tiered secrets. However, those are fine if the combos don't change unless the switch is triggered.

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

I'm not entirely sure what puzzle you mean, but if you want the combos to change back automatically after a certain amount of time, then I definitely recommend using a script. 

It is difficult, and wonky, to have perfectly timed tiered secrets. However, those are fine if the combos don't change unless the switch is triggered.

The ffc that I posted has the ability to do that, or it can rely on combo cycling for its timing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users