custom quest wanted people new

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

I didn't know where this would go, so I decided to just put it here and see where it goes. I haven't really been active in my quests and the last time I graced the forums was during the Fall Expo 2014. But here is what I am here for. A proposition.

I never finished a custom quest due to glitches, lack of inspiration, or design problems. So what is my proposition? I want to make a game. Duh. But I really need help. Badly. So I want to make a team of people to make the best game possible for me US. But, I am not looking to revolutionize. I don't want TONS of scripts, a odd story, none of that. I want to make an authentic Zelda experience. I have been on hiatus due to lack of interest. But I am ready to head back in and be devoted as much as I possibly can. I just want help from people I know that are as devoted as me to make the best authentic experience. So here's who I need to make a BAD-ARSE game:

-Composer for MIDIS or preferably an authentic 16-bit soundtrack (enhanced music) with remixes and the works.

-A scripter/programmer to do the technical things to make an awesome experience

-An artist to do things with tiles (I don't need a custom tileset - just someone who can make awesome screens)

-Another artist for some of the custom stuff, AKA a spriter for bosses and stuff

-Assistant designer for things like lore and story

And I would take helm as lead designer to make ourselves the coolest Zelda game EVAR. All I ask is one sample for whatever role ya want. I think that's fair, right? :) Anyway, I think I really want to use Firebird as the tileset. But that can change. Anyways, I hope you all the best! -Ethan, AKA GenerationGaming or GenGaming

ALSO

Majora's Mask is the best Ze;da game ever, everybody else is wrong. :P

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:56 AM

It's very difficult for me to say this without being blunt. But I'm not to sure you're going to get any response with this approach. I am not sure how you intended express yourself in this post. But how it comes across is that you aren't motivated to build a quest yourself, but instead would rather have a team build it for you.

And saying "a quest for us" doesn't help when you immediately say you'll be in charge of it all.

I'm sorry if designing your quest is getting challenging, but this is surely a poor way in requesting a team. :P But that's okay, I'm sure I haven't always had the best choice words when I brought up team projects in the past either. :P

Also, don't be so eager to start a group project, because when you do, it never truly is your project anymore. Though all group projects have a leader in the sense, even the leader may have to bend in favour of group choices even if the leader doesn't agree.
  • Shane and Jared like this

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:05 AM

I think you should at least release a demo or a short quest before you try and assemble a team. I doubt many will agree to commit to something so ambitious if they have no idea what they're in for.

#4 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

It's very difficult for me to say this without being blunt. But I'm not to sure you're going to get any response with this approach. I am not sure how you intended express yourself in this post. But how it comes across is that you aren't motivated to build a quest yourself, but instead would rather have a team build it for you.

And saying "a quest for us" doesn't help when you immediately say you'll be in charge of it all.

I'm sorry if designing your quest is getting challenging, but this is surely a poor way in requesting a team. :P But that's okay, I'm sure I haven't always had the best choice words when I brought up team projects in the past either. :P

Also, don't be so eager to start a group project, because when you do, it never truly is your project anymore. Though all group projects have a leader in the sense, even the leader may have to bend in favour of group choices even if the leader doesn't agree.

I didn't mean it that way. Looking back on it, that was really selfish of me. I just have all of these ideas and concepts for dungeons, stories, overworlds, puzzles, etc., and I can't put them in action. It is really frustrating, because I have been trying to do it for five years, and I have gotten nowhere except for screens. It really makes myself mad that I know that I can't do it, even though I really want to. I see your point, NJF. I made a mistake. I never wanted to be in charge of it all. I wanted help from people that I think I can trust, and it made me sound really bossy, even though I wanted it to be a group effort. I think I will just scrap the idea.

I think you should at least release a demo or a short quest before you try and assemble a team. I doubt many will agree to commit to something so ambitious if they have no idea what they're in for.

Well, you can read the top. But if you want, here are my screens from an old quest of mine: 

187_nap9ek.png

187_nap9fs.png

187_nap9ct.png

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

Those are some pretty nice looking screens.  So you at least demonstrate that you can design screens in ZC.  Other than that, you probably aren't all that well known around here, and even among some of the quest designers that can do most or all of what you initially requested, most couldn't dream to get people to do that much for them.  While I wouldn't expect most people to be good at doing all of those things, it's probably best that you try to learn how to do at least some of it, at least up to a competent level.  Scripting, spriting, and composing are specialized skills that only some people can do really well, so finding a dream team to do all those nice things is nearly impossible, especially if people don't really know what they are being asked to do.  So it doesn't really sell the project.  In the future, it's best to first see if something you are looking for is available in the database.  After all, as a ZC resource site, we are not just limited to human resources.  And if not, then you can ask requests for specific things (Developer's Exchange for custom graphics or music, and Script Requests for scripts), and be as specific as you possibly can.  But also ask in the appropriate forums for help on how to do certain things yourself.  You are a lot more likely to get what you want when you ask for specific things one at a time, be it work from another person or help on how to do it yourself.  It all takes a lot of time, but with enough determination and patience, you can go far.

As for making yourself a little more well known, since you do seem to have some skills at screen design, I encourage you to participate in Screenshot of the Week every now and then.

• Avaro likes this

#6 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

I DID compose music, but people in the Skype group said it was pretty bad. (Here is a sample https://www.mediafir...g7dayqu394cbt9h) You said it yourself, I only have SOME skill in making screens. And I have done SotW, and won. I can kind of make a story and lore, I can implement scripts, but not make any, and I did sprite a tad. But it's not good: https://www.mediafir...o00j496y575v1bo So... you can see my dilemma.

#7 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

For MIDIs, there are tons of free midis, usually video game music, available online. If you don't have the ability to make your own soundtrack you'd probably be better off sticking to the free stuff; most composers won't make an entire soundtrack for a free fangame unless they know the creator or are very confident it will be finished and well received. You said that you can handle story/lore yourself and you can definitely design some solid screens. That only leaves a scripter and a spriter. If you only need a handful of scripts, you can probably find people willing to help you out, same goes for custom sprites. If, however, you need a lot of scripts, want the game engine to be functionally, or want a large assortment of custom tiles at your disposal, it's the same deal as with the soundtrack; not many people are going to be willing to jump on board unless they can tell the project is going somewhere.

Group projects are tricky to begin with, not just because it's hard to fill every role with a capable mind, but because communication and organization often pose more of a threat to the project than the creators anticipate. It can be hard to keep track of who works on what piece at what time, and differences in availability, motivation, skill, design philosophy, and work efficiency can make the process frustratingly difficult, maybe even impossible. To be honest, I really doubt bringing 4 or 5 extra people in on a project would make it easier on you. In the end I think you'd be more frustrated and unmotivated than if you were to work on a solo project.

If you do want to try a group project someday, it would be best to have completed a quest or two at least, try to minimize the size of your team, and you should ideally already have some kind of a relationship with the other team members so that you're familiar with their communication, design, and work, and aesthetic styles.

• Rambly likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, quest, wanted, people, new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users