Custom Quests No Good.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#16 Siguy

Siguy

�

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

Try Crossrealm chaos. Thats probobly the best classic quest out there.

#17 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

... O_o Best... classic... quest...

*Speechless blushing*

Honestly I never expected that. Especially since it's my first and currently only quest that's public but...

*faints*

Edited by Questions, 27 April 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#18 Thibeinn

Thibeinn

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Pol's Voice

I am now playing one of DarkFlameWolf's custom quests, Isle of the Winds. It is not difficult at all. It is a great quest so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Kingboo30

Grow up.

For nicklegends

I understand there may be some bugs or whatever but how does a custom quest which cannot possibly be completed due to some bug, poor design or whatever get a high rating and rave reviews from members of Pure ZC?

For Anderson333

I am not trash talking so do not try to turn it into something it is not.

All it takes to make a quest and get it right before one offers it to others is simple. All one has to do is proof-read, proof-read, proof-read and test, test, test ... find and work out all the typos, poor designing and bugs ... then fix them. Simple. After all that, if there are any problems then they must be caused by the player or the player's PC.

BTW, I am an expert in HTML, DHTML, XML, JavaScript and Perl. I have over 8 years of experience writing with these program languages. I use Gamemaker v6.1 to make games for others. I never release a game with typos, poor design or bugs. It is a matter of utmost pride for me. I have been planning a version of a "Zelda and Link" game for about a month now. I do plan on releasing it here when it is completed.

Edited by Thibeinn, 27 April 2006 - 07:23 PM.

#19 Anderson333

Anderson333

Senior

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

Lol...i think someone just a LITTLE full of themselve's

#20 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(Anderson333 @ Apr 27 2006, 08:55 PM)

View Post

Anderson! icon_neutral.gif There was nothing at all wrong with his post. Needn't be looking for trouble when someone is just looking for a few bugless quests to play. Is that so much to ask? Please be nicer to people in the future, thanks.

Thibe, you're better off playing a few of the "better" quests out there before you check out the work of the newcomers. On a global scale, playing the newcomers' quests gives them hope as well as inspiration and comments for future quests, but on an individual scale, playing the quests of the questsperts out there is just plain better for your health! icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif It gives a better impression of what ZC can do.

Rest assured though, the newcomers usually learn how to build a better quest in time. icon_wink.gif

#21 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Thibeinn @ Apr 27 2006, 06:14 PM)
For Pol's Voice

I am now playing one of DarkFlameWolf's custom quests, Isle of the Winds. It is not difficult at all. It is a great quest so far.

For Kingboo30

Grow up.

For nicklegends

I understand there may be some bugs or whatever but how does a custom quest which cannot possibly be completed due to some bug, poor design or whatever get a high rating and rave reviews from members of Pure ZC?

For Anderson333

I am not trash talking so do not try to turn it into something it is not.

All it takes to make a quest and get it right before one offers it to others is simple. All one has to do is proof-read, proof-read, proof-read and test, test, test ... find and work out all the typos, poor designing and bugs ... then fix them. Simple. After all that, if there are any problems then they must be caused by the player or the player's PC.

BTW, I am an expert in HTML, DHTML, XML, JavaScript and Perl. I have over 8 years of experience writing with these program languages. I use Gamemaker v6.1 to make games for others. I never release a game with typos, poor design or bugs. It is a matter of utmost pride for me. I have been planning a version of a "Zelda and Link" game for about a month now. I do plan on releasing it here when it is completed.

View Post

Woah, let's start off with my response.

I was simply trying to help, didn't mean for you to get mad about the way I give advice.

For nicklegends's response....

Not everything is perfect. There's also bugs IN THE SYSTEM. Such as the continue bug and midi bug. For why we give high reviews is simply because we think that they are good, of course bugs count but the ones that are major affect our score. It's not easy fixing bugs at all, as I'm sure it wasn't for gamemaker. I can compare real games that have countless bugs yet they are enjoyable and the people who make these games are payed. Our audience is very very different from gamemakers and the maker itself.

#22 Anderson333

Anderson333

Senior

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(Anderson333 @ Apr 27 2006, 07:55 PM)

View Post

Im sorry but he comes on here and just is saying theres no good quests and yet obviously has no clue about ZQuest...and saying he's some big shot and he's excellent in this and that. I for one dont give a flying F**K!!!....So He can KISS MY WHITE ASS!!! Im out!!!

Edited by Anderson333, 27 April 2006 - 09:01 PM.

#23 Thibeinn

Thibeinn

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

In response to Anderson333

icon_eyebrow.gif

... laughs. icon_lol.gif

Edited by Thibeinn, 27 April 2006 - 09:50 PM.

#24 Thibeinn

Thibeinn

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

For ShadowTiger

icon_biggrin.gif

For Shoelace

No problem. Sorry about the double posting thing. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Thibeinn, 27 April 2006 - 11:40 PM.

#25 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

That is cool that you are playing Isle of the Winds. It is one of my favorites.

Hey Thibeinn, please don't double post as it is against the rules. Use the edit button next time so you don't have to double post.

Anderson333 that was really uncalled for. ShadowTiger already warned you to not flame. Everyone has their opinions. He doesn't have to like the quests.

#26 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

Shadowtiger....
Not even 1 of my quests on your list?
And you suggest "dreams of yesterday" to someone looking for a bug free quest?

Call Alice.... when she was just small, for you've just had some kind of mushroom, and your mind is moving slow......

#27 Pol's Voice

Pol's Voice

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

Freedom.....would you ever consider bringing them back to this site in addition to Elise's? A lot of the newer players don't even know about them...even some of the more experienced ones...I try and spread the word whenever possible though! If there were a fan club, I'd be a card carrying member.

And for what it's worth, I agree with Anderson333 et al. (sans the flaming) ... lately, I've been noticing an increasing number of newer members that are overly critical of a lot of people's quests, ideas, design skills, etc. without having contributed anything meaningful themselves. Oh, there's always talk of, "when my 72 level, 16 overworld, 38 custom-boss, all custom-made tiles quest comes out...blah, blah, blah." Yeah, well awesome, and I'll be eagerly waiting to play it. However, I would hope that none of that talk intimidates anyone from releasing a standard, straight-forward, 1 overworld, no plot, 8-triforce, 1 dude, 1 chick, 1 evil pig custom quest.....a lot of players still like them!!! And, Questions, you SHOULD be proud of your "classic" quest...it was a lot of fun!

#28 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 28 2006, 12:44 AM)
Shadowtiger....
Not even 1 of my quests on your list?
And you suggest "dreams of yesterday" to someone looking for a bug free quest?

Call Alice.... when she was just small, for you've just had some kind of mushroom, and your mind is moving slow......

View Post

I wasn't thinking from memory so much as I was picking them off of the list of quests on Pure's database when I had finished mentioning my two favorite quests. It's not my fault you chose not to host anything of yours in there for me to mention. If you were, most, if not all of your quests would have been on that list.

Why are you picking on me when all I'm doing is ticking off randomly successful quests? Don't even start debating with me over my usage of "random." You know it won't get us anywhere. If you want to be more helpful, then provide a link to all of your quests from wherever they are now.

QUOTE(Pol's Voice)
Freedom.....would you ever consider bringing them back to this site in addition to Elise's? A lot of the newer players don't even know about them...even some of the more experienced ones...I try and spread the word whenever possible though! If there were a fan club, I'd be a card carrying member.
... Um ... Ditto.

#29 Thibeinn

Thibeinn

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

I stated a few problems with some custom quests I tried out and I expressed my opinion on those particular quests... I dislike them.

I did not mention the quests by title nor the makers of those quests by name as I do not want to openly/publicly embarrass anyone who may have poor self-esteem.

Criticism is usually meant to be contructive (as was mine) but people with poor self-esteem tend to interpret it as destructive. If someone points out a problem with some work of mine, I fix it and I strive to do better next time. I do not get upset or embarrassed about it. I am happy someone cared enough to bring to my attention something I messed up on. I appreciate their input. It helps me to improve myself and my work.

No one should get the idea that I am trying to intimidate anyone into not making custom quests or into not releasing them. That is not my intention. I hope everyone will make and release quests. However, I also hope they will take real pride in their work and strive to make it the very best possible. Who would want to make a quest that does not work right or cannot be completed due to something left out and leave it at that anyway?

As for the statment made by Pol's Voice:
"I've been noticing an increasing number of newer members that are overly critical of a lot of people's quests, ideas, design skills, etc. without having contributed anything meaningful themselves."

Criticism IS meaningful. The meaning is in helping others by bringing to their attention something they may have missed and should care enough about to make an improvement on.

To help someone make a better quest only helps to make the quest better for you.

Edited by Thibeinn, 28 April 2006 - 10:16 AM.

#30 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

Thibeinn

Seems to me you want your bread buttered on both sides.
You say on one hand you spoke up to help these quest makers do better on their quest, but on the other hand you don't want to mention specific quests or builders by name.

GET OFF THE FENCE, you're helping nobody setting up on your high horse speaking down to everyone, if you have specifics, be a man and lay them out, otherwise STFU

That exactly why I removed all of my quests from here, because people wanted to set back and be little assholes and sling rude statements, in most cases they couldn't even answer questions about the quests because they didn't even bother to play them.

Edited by Freedom, 28 April 2006 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users